MDR Dress Code - How Strict?

jesscruiser

I still have no idea what a boob hat is and I'm afraid to google it.

I just spit tea all over my tablet! Lolololololololololololololololol

If you google image search with the safe search on it's pretty funny..lol

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

Hi Jesscruiser. My Wife and I like to dress up even on the non elegant nights. I hope your Husband will reconsider and wear the dress slacks and that way you will not have to even worry about it. All that being said you are one of the most patient and respectful posters I have seen on any forum. The way you have stayed calm while others have made some pretty strong judgments about you and your husband says a great deal about your character. While I do believe your Husband should honor the rules I admire you for handling yourself so calmly. Have a great cruise!

Thank you lol. We will see. The last time we got super dressed up for a restaurant, wasn't even for the food, just for the wine lol. The chef informed us they had a couple of bottles of a certain Palhmeyer wine, a early vintage we love lol!

Well if he misses (and causes you to miss) the MDR because he wants to wear jeans then you have to live with it. Not all rules are to be broken by everyone all the time just because it suits them better :) As long as he is ok with being turned away...then go for it. No big deal. Take your chance...if they enforce their rule...you're out of luck and enjoy the buffet.

Personally I dont care what someone wears but I don't understand why people feel entitled to break the rules just because they don't like them.

This just seems to be the way society is today!!! Rules don't matter!! In fact for some people laws don't either!!!

I don't know what a boob hat is either!!!! Another poster mentioned it lol!

I was the one that saw a table full of guys wearing the boob hats back this spring, on a cruise out of long beach. They were ball caps with a stuffed set of fake boobs with the nipple showing sticking out above the bill or brim of the hat. The kind of thing I've seen guys wearing on the beach during spring break in Cancun.

I was the one that saw a table full of guys wearing the boob hats back this spring, on a cruise out of long beach. They were ball caps with a stuffed set of fake boobs with the nipple showing sticking out above the bill or brim of the hat. The kind of thing I've seen guys wearing on the beach during spring break in Cancun.

lol, hopefully no one motor boated them lol

As much as I love CCL, I think they really need to drop the so-called "elegant night". It's just not working because the bar has been lowered so much and many people simply don't know how to dress properly for a given occasion. While certainly it will not detract from my enjoying a nice meal, it's just disappointing to see the lack of social graces and refinement that has become all too common. Some people spend more time trying to do the minimum, or get away with things, rather than taking pride in presenting themselves properly. I just don't understand how someone could think that khakis or jeans with a button-down shirt is "elegant". The sophistication of an elegant or formal night was lost some time ago, I'm sad to say.

As much as I love CCL, I think they really need to drop the so-called "elegant night". It's just not working because the bar has been lowered so much and many people simply don't know how to dress properly for a given occasion. While certainly it will not detract from my enjoying a nice meal, it's just disappointing to see the lack of social graces and refinement that has become all too common. Some people spend more time trying to do the minimum, or get away with things, rather than taking pride in presenting themselves properly. I just don't understand how someone could think that khakis or jeans with a button-down shirt is "elegant". The sophistication of an elegant or formal night was lost some time ago, I'm sad to say.

I don't think that jeans and a button down is elegant. But I agree, I also don't think khakis and a button down are elegant. DH could wear his cargo khakis with 14 billion pockets on them and a button down and technically be in Carnival's dress code, even though I think personally his jeans would look nicer. Just like he could wear a pair of carhartt work pants and that would be fine, but not jeans. That is the main reason I asked about how lax the dress code was. To mean, because it is so broad, it is already casual. I don't see the big deal with jeans, but If Carnival like someone in work pants over jeans on elegant night, than whatevs, no big deal. One of the restaurants I mentioned earlier that we sometimes go to, has a very strict dress code. Even on casual night I am not supposed to wear shorts, but If I put on a jean skirt, it's time for the fancy eating lol.

What to wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

My spouse and I are going to take a cruise, but he absolutly hates to wear anything but his jeans. He does not want to put on khakis or anything like that. He says he is on vacation and the nicest he will wear to the dining room on elegant night is his jeans and lacoste polo. If he can't eat, oh well he says. Do they allow jeans?

The dress code has relaxed some from what it used to be. "Smart casual" is just as acceptable as "Prom night formal". Actually, I think the dress code for the specialty restaurants (such as the steakhouse) is a bit more strict and more strongly enforced than the MDR. Our most recent cruise was our ninth. We talked it over beforehand, and decided that we didn't want to dress up at all this time. On the two formal nights, we ate at the buffet. I was surprised at how many other people apparently felt the same way. On one of the nights, lobster was served in the MDR. We later learned from some friends that we didn't miss much. The lobster tails were small and overcooked. If you and your husband want to eat in the MDR on Elegant Night, and he doesn't want to get all dressed up, would he be willing to wear a nice pair of Dockers and a polo shirt for an hour or so while at dinner? Maybe you could take him out shopping and have him try on a pair of Dockers (or something similar). Then when he does, give him a wolf whistle and tell him how hot he looks. Maybe he'll give in a little if you approach it the right way.;)

What to wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

I have. But I inquired about how strict it was. If guests are wearing boob hats and t-shirts, and the rules were that lax on my cruise, than dh and I will eat in the mdr in his jeans

The dress code has relaxed some from what it used to be. "Smart casual" is just as acceptable as "Prom night formal". Actually, I think the dress code for the specialty restaurants (such as the steakhouse) is a bit more strict and more strongly enforced than the MDR. Our most recent cruise was our ninth. We talked it over beforehand, and decided that we didn't want to dress up at all this time. On the two formal nights, we ate at the buffet. I was surprised at how many other people apparently felt the same way. On one of the nights, lobster was served in the MDR. We later learned from some friends that we didn't miss much. The lobster tails were small and overcooked. If you and your husband want to eat in the MDR on Elegant Night, and he doesn't want to get all dressed up, would he be willing to wear a nice pair of Dockers and a polo shirt for an hour or so while at dinner? Maybe you could take him out shopping and have him try on a pair of Dockers (or something similar). Then when he does, give him a wolf whistle and tell him how hot he looks. Maybe he'll give in a little if you approach it the right way.;)

I wouldn't have to approach him in any way lol. All I would have to say if that I really wanted to eat in there, would he please put on a pair of stupid khakis and he would. It just isn't that big of a deal. If the rules are super lax than we will eat in there. If not, we won't. I eat lobster all the time and you are right, they aren't awesome on the cruise. THat is why I ate the ribs on elegant night on my last cruise lol.

I don't understand this mentality - nearly always amongst men - that putting on a pair of slacks is some horrible thing. My personal theory is that it's a control issue usually rooted in misogyny. Generally, throughout a mans life, it's women who try to get him to dress up, and some men send a message to the women in their lives that they will NOT be told what to do. This being "uncomfortable" excuse just gives them some cover to be stubborn and refuse to do what their mother/grandmother/wife/aunt/daughter/girlfriend want. What's worse, in nearly all cases they have learned this behavior from their boorish father/older brother/grandfather/uncle. Usually, they don't even realize this behavior is actually happening and would deny it.

How do I know this? I'm a thirty year old man who used to say the same things until I realized what was going on.

I say suck it up, be a grown man, and make the extremely small effort to try to look slightly more presentable, so that the cruise line can try to at least attempt a classy evening. And in doing so, allow other people, particularly the women in your own life, to enjoy themselves. (Obviously you are having to stress out about this, which is unfair, and you are dressing nice enough yourself.) I found that doing something small like dressing up nicer for people is enjoyable and makes my night better.

To add fuel to the fire:

Reading this thread on my next cruise, I've decided to smoke in MY CABIN!:p

It couldn't be THAT bad??? I just want to know how LAX Carnival is on the rules..:rolleyes:

Let's put this theory to the test!:D

Jesscruiser,

I just want to take a moment to say that I must echo some of the sentiments that 'Everyday's a Good Day' mentioned earlier. You've been cool as a cucumber and have kept a smile on your face under some pretty blistering comments. You've been gracious and very polite at all times. I've really enjoyed reading your comments even if I don't agree with them. I may not be thrilled with the general direction that this whole dress situation on cruises is going (but it sure doesn't keep me up at night worrying about it, lol), but if I ever see you guys on a cruise, I'd sure be happy to buy you (and your underdressed husband, lol) a couple beers!

Meet me on the Lido deck and let's get the party started!

To add fuel to the fire:

Reading this thread on my next cruise, I've decided to smoke in MY CABIN!:p

It couldn't be THAT bad??? I just want to know how LAX Carnival is on the rules..:rolleyes:

Let's put this theory to the test!:D

I sure hope you aren't near me!!!

Jesscruiser,

I just want to take a moment to say that I must echo some of the sentiments that 'Everyday's a Good Day' mentioned earlier. You've been cool as a cucumber and have kept a smile on your face under some pretty blistering comments. You've been gracious and very polite at all times. I've really enjoyed reading your comments even if I don't agree with them. I may not be thrilled with the general direction that this whole dress situation on cruises is going (but it sure doesn't keep me up at night worrying about it, lol), but if I ever see you guys on a cruise, I'd sure be happy to buy you (and your underdressed husband, lol) a couple beers!

This is so true.

We are cruising with our family of 12 on the Freedom in August, and I must confess the dress code has been an issue with my daughter's guy. On this cruise the guys have decided to only bring dress shirts and tiesfor formal nights. After convincing my daughter that he should have Dockers for the dining room, I hope they don't read all the comments about being able to wear jeans in the dining room!.

I eat upscale restaurants all the time (him in jeans) and nope they aren't serving ribs and french fries and the waiters don't sing and dance. I know jeans aren't allowed on elegant night, I am just asking if carnival is strict about it. If we decided to go and we are turned away, oh well. Definitely wont be embarrassed. I personally don't see what the big deal is, but I know it is a rule, so again I asked because different places have different rules and many times they are not enforced, so I wanted to know about carnival specifically. I know it says no jeans, but heck his jeans are nicer and more expensive than any slacks/khakis he owns. Which to me, jeans are a broad spectrum of pants lol. Some jeans are a lot nicer than others lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So what you are saying is "I know the rules, I don't care for the rules, how easily can I get away with breaking the rules?". Let me ask you, do you pat your kids on the back and say good job, when they get away with breaking the rules? The only difference here is the age. As for how nice his jeans are, immaterial, it says "no jeans", not "no ugly jeans". Doesn't get any simpler than that.

So what you are saying is "I know the rules, I don't care for the rules, how easily can I get away with breaking the rules?". Let me ask you, do you pat your kids on the back and say good job, when they get away with breaking the rules? The only difference here is the age. As for how nice his jeans are, immaterial, it says "no jeans", not "no ugly jeans". Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Puse it really dosen't matter how much your jeans cost either, the last time I looked people take the price tag off before they wear them!!

When we were on a cruise last fall, we went to the MDR for lunch. My husband was wearing a sleeveless shirt (we just came from the pool) and he was asked to please change into a shirt with sleeves. I'm not sure if this was unique to our cruise, ... !

Not unique to your cruise.

I do know the rules. Never said I didn't care for the rules. I am merely saying that if Carnival isn't enforcing the rules anyway, than he will just wear his jeans to dinner.

I don't understand this mentality - nearly always amongst men - that putting on a pair of slacks is some horrible thing. My personal theory is that it's a control issue usually rooted in misogyny. Generally, throughout a mans life, it's women who try to get him to dress up, and some men send a message to the women in their lives that they will NOT be told what to do. This being "uncomfortable" excuse just gives them some cover to be stubborn and refuse to do what their mother/grandmother/wife/aunt/daughter/girlfriend want. What's worse, in nearly all cases they have learned this behavior from their boorish father/older brother/grandfather/uncle. Usually, they don't even realize this behavior is actually happening and would deny it.

How do I know this? I'm a thirty year old man who used to say the same things until I realized what was going on.

I say suck it up, be a grown man, and make the extremely small effort to try to look slightly more presentable, so that the cruise line can try to at least attempt a classy evening. And in doing so, allow other people, particularly the women in your own life, to enjoy themselves. (Obviously you are having to stress out about this, which is unfair, and you are dressing nice enough yourself.) I found that doing something small like dressing up nicer for people is enjoyable and makes my night better.

I really am not stressing. He just prefers jeans. Nothing about any deep rooted power play lol. It really isn't a big deal. If When I get on the Conquest in New Orleans, and on elegant night I see people not adhereing to the dress code and Carnival is seating them all anyway, DH and I will eat in the MDR. If they are strict and enforcing them, then hey no big deal either.

Jesscruiser,

lol! Aww I would too!

I try to keep a smile on my face at all times. Life is Good. God is Great! I have my health, and a wonderful family! What is there to be upset about lol.

Puse it really dosen't matter how much your jeans cost either, the last time I looked people take the price tag off before they wear them!!

I didn't mean it like that lol. Just that I think his jeans are nicer than say his cargo khakis (which would be allowed) or a pair of carhartt work pants (again which would be allowed).

Archived