MDR Dress Code - How Strict?

jesscruiser

Well pardon me, but you were the one who wrote:

You may or may not be allowed in the MDR with him wearing jeans. Regardless of what anyone on this board experienced, you may hit the door when a stickler for the rules is seating people.

I know nothing is a guarantee. I was just trying to see what others past experiences were. I didn't realize people would be so judgemental about jeans. Sorry if I have offended anyone

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well pardon me, but you were the one who wrote:

You may or may not be allowed in the MDR with him wearing jeans. Regardless of what anyone on this board experienced, you may hit the door when a stickler for the rules is seating people.

I don't want to miss it. But I also would rather eat at the deli or lido before fighting with him about jeans lol.

I know nothing is a guarantee. I was just trying to see what others past experiences were. I didn't realize people would be so judgemental about jeans. Sorry if I have offended anyone

Jeans with a nice shirt and no tennis shoes will probably not be turned away...

People are very judgemental about topics regarding MDR elegant night dress code on this forum!

I know nothing is a guarantee. I was just trying to see what others past experiences were. I didn't realize people would be so judgemental about jeans.

I am not judgmental about jeans. What drives me bonkers is posters who want guarantees that they can break the rules and get away with it. Past experiences will not change your odds one bit.

You make your choice, and you take your chances.

And you DON'T complain afterwards if things don't go your way.

Jeans with a nice shirt and no tennis shoes will probably not be turned away...

People are very judgemental about topics regarding MDR elegant night dress code on this forum!

apparently! I had no idea. I didn't mean to make people upset! I really am sorry!

apparently! I had no idea. I didn't mean to make people upset! I really am sorry!

Actually, I was not talking about you. Just the forum in general when it comes to this and other volatile topics.

If DH is wearing jeans that are not torn up or cut off as shorts, he should be fine as long as he wears a polo shirt and real shoes.

He always wears real shoes lol. Hates tennis shoes (except for running) and rarely wears flip floppies lol

I am not judgmental about jeans. What drives me bonkers is posters who want guarantees that they can break the rules and get away with it. Past experiences will not change your odds one bit.

You make your choice, and you take your chances.

And you DON'T complain afterwards if things don't go your way.

Never said I needed a guarantee. Never said anything about complaining.

Mainly, because stuff doesn't really get me bonkers.

People aren't being judgemental about jeans...

What people are trying to say is:

Your husband wants to wear jeans

You want your husband to wear jeans because he's more comfortable in them

You don't want to miss elegant night at the MDR

Your husband doesn't want to miss elegant at the MDR

You AND your husband don't think the rules should apply to you because of all the above.

Its not about wearing jeans...its about feeling entitiled to break the rules because it suits you or your husband in order to get what you want.

Thats what most of the posts are about.

Like I said; personally I don't give a darn what your husband is wearing. But if everyone broke every rule they felt they had a justified reason to....what then? That's what posters are trying to get across. They aren't judging his jeans at all. Whether they are nicer or more expensive or how he looks in them or whatever is not the point.

In the end, you will go to the MDR with him in his jeans because you want to, and if you get away with breaking the rule you will be happy, and if you wind up at the buffet or deli or eating a sandwich in your room, you say you will be happy. So, that's cool. You're happy both ways :)

People aren't being judgemental about jeans...

What people are trying to say is:

Your husband wants to wear jeans

You want your husband to wear jeans because he's more comfortable in them

You don't want to miss elegant night at the MDR

Your husband doesn't want to miss elegant at the MDR

You AND your husband don't think the rules should apply to you because of all the above.

Its not about wearing jeans...its about feeling entitiled to break the rules because it suits you or your husband in order to get what you want.

Thats what most of the posts are about.

Like I said; personally I don't give a darn what your husband is wearing. But if everyone broke every rule they felt they had a justified reason to....what then? That's what posters are trying to get across. They aren't judging his jeans at all. Whether they are nicer or more expensive or how he looks in them or whatever is not the point.

In the end, you will go to the MDR with him in his jeans because you want to, and if you get away with breaking the rule you will be happy, and if you wind up at the buffet or deli or eating a sandwich in your room, you say you will be happy. So, that's cool. You're happy both ways :)

Lol I know it isn't really about jeans, and sure we will be happy either way. It really isn't about breaking the rules for me. I am not trying to sneak anything past Carnival. I just wanted to know if Carnival is super strict about the dress code. Sure it may be rule breaking to wear jeans, but if Carnival doesn't really care if he does or not, than sure he plans on wearing them. If Carnival doesn't care about enforicng their dress code rule over a pair of jeans, than no big deal to me either.

Last summer our table was within sight of the Maître de stand. We watched many nights as they turned away people over their clothes. There was at least 1 person from the group that shared the table with us that had a run in with the folks at the Maître de counter almost every night. The first night it was a guy coming trying to come in wearing a tank top. On elegant night 2 of the guys got sent back. The 1st was over jeans and the second because he was wearing a t-shirt. On one night 1of the women came in wearing an outfit that looked like she just got done with a spin class. She was wearing biker shorts and a sports bra. She made it all the way to our table before they came and asked her to go change.

At the beginning of the week we thought it was just accidental and that they didn't understand the dress code. By the end of our 5 day extravaganza we had decided that they must have been purposely trying to see what they could get away with.

Now, in April we were on a 3 day out of Long Beach and they truly seemed to let anything go in their MDR. One night one nearby table wore boob hats into the MDR. A nearby table had a family that appeared to be Muslim. Another member at their table went and asked the guys in the hats to please remove them. They didn't. The Muslim family got up and left. Even the family with little boys at our table were trying to distract the boys from looking that way.

When you come to this forum and ask can we get away with this, the best any of us can do is tell you our experiences and what we have seen. As in most corporations how stringently the rules are enforced can vary greatly from facility to facility.

Last summer our table was within sight of the Maître de stand. We watched many nights as they turned away people over their clothes. There was at least 1 person from the group that shared the table with us that had a run in with the folks at the Maître de counter almost every night. The first night it was a guy coming trying to come in wearing a tank top. On elegant night 2 of the guys got sent back. The 1st was over jeans and the second because he was wearing a t-shirt. On one night 1of the women came in wearing an outfit that looked like she just got done with a spin class. She was wearing biker shorts and a sports bra. She made it all the way to our table before they came and asked her to go change.

At the beginning of the week we thought it was just accidental and that they didn't understand the dress code. By the end of our 5 day extravaganza we had decided that they must have been purposely trying to see what they could get away with.

Now, in April we were on a 3 day out of Long Beach and they truly seemed to let anything go in their MDR. One night one nearby table wore boob hats into the MDR. A nearby table had a family that appeared to be Muslim. Another member at their table went and asked the guys in the hats to please remove them. They didn't. The Muslim family got up and left. Even the family with little boys at our table were trying to distract the boys from looking that way.

When you come to this forum and ask can we get away with this, the best any of us can do is tell you our experiences and what we have seen. As in most corporations how stringently the rules are enforced can vary greatly from facility to facility.

Your experiences were just what I was looking for!!!! Thanks.

lol, sports bra. Glad DH isn't comfortable in that lol.

Lol I know it isn't really about jeans, and sure we will be happy either way. It really isn't about breaking the rules for me. I am not trying to sneak anything past Carnival. I just wanted to know if Carnival is super strict about the dress code. Sure it may be rule breaking to wear jeans, but if Carnival doesn't really care if he does or not, than sure he plans on wearing them. If Carnival doesn't care about enforicng their dress code rule over a pair of jeans, than no big deal to me either.

I think the point here is that it's not a matter of whether Carnival cares or not. Carnival has to juggle the rules with keeping people happy. They don't want a scene at the entrance. They don't want others upset that you aren't dressed appropriately. Now as you know by my previous post, I'm no fan of formal dress. But I will do, at the very least, what the rules state. But don't think that just because they look the other way that they don't care. I'm actually surprised your husband would want to be in jeans on elegant night. Even in my khakis and dress shirt I worry about being underdressed and get very self conscious about it.

Boob hats?!? They allowed idiots to sit in the MDR with boob hats?!? Unbelievable!:eek:

One thing that you absolutely CAN count on with Carnival is that there is no clear consistent enforcement of rules across the cruise line. Ever. Even if you are doing things that are clearly permitted according to their own website, like bringing small electric fans in good repair. If they want to take them from you, they will. And the passenger has no recourse. So if the maitre'd on your ship went to the Soup **** school of restaurant management, your DH will not be seated on elegant night. But it is a complete and utter crap shoot.

in April we were on a 3 day out of Long Beach and they truly seemed to let anything go in their MDR. One night one nearby table wore boob hats into the MDR. A nearby table had a family that appeared to be Muslim. Another member at their table went and asked the guys in the hats to please remove them. They didn't. The Muslim family got up and left. Even the family with little boys at our table were trying to distract the boys from looking that way.

I hope that family never books on the Pride. It's All Boobs, All The Time on that ship, any wall you look at! Not to mention the anatomically correct statue of David outside the steak house. :p

I wish someone could explain to me what is so comfortable about a pair of jeans as opposed to slacks??

I can definitely understand not wanting to wear a tux or suit that requires a jacket or even a tie or a bow tie. But are slacks really so much more uncomfortable than a pair of jeans? I own both and just don't get it.

I remember the days when sailing on Carnival meant running out to buy a new evening gown or two for formal nights and tuxedoes were the norm not an anomaly. (sigh)

Anyway I wouldn't even be debating this with my SO. If you want to eat in the MDR, you follow the barebones dress code. What they are asking for is really not too much.

I wish someone could explain to me what is so comfortable about a pair of jeans as opposed to slacks??

I can definitely understand not wanting to wear a tux or suit that requires a jacket or even a tie or a bow tie. But are slacks really so much more uncomfortable than a pair of jeans? I own both and just don't get it.

I remember the days when sailing on Carnival meant running out to buy a new evening gown or two for formal nights and tuxedoes were the norm not an anomaly. (sigh)

Anyway I wouldn't even be debating this with my SO. If you want to eat in the MDR, you follow the barebones dress code. What they are asking for is really not too much.

If carnival said no khakis allowed, then the OPs husband would wear khakis. It's all about power. Good luck to them.

Archived