MDR Dress Code - How Strict?

jesscruiser

My spouse and I are going to take a cruise, but he absolutly hates to wear anything but his jeans. He does not want to put on khakis or anything like that. He says he is on vacation and the nicest he will wear to the dining room on elegant night is his jeans and lacoste polo. If he can't eat, oh well he says. Do they allow jeans?

They are very lax enforcing the dress code. I have seen worse in the dinning room. You and he will probably get worse treatment/looks from other guests. You might even get some eude comments on this thread. The good news, if they do say something, there is always the Lido buffet, but I would wear my jeans.

I know he doesn't care what anyone thinks, I just wanted to know how strict. He thinks it is stupid they want him to wear slacks on the one night they serve ribs anyway

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I know he doesn't care what anyone thinks, I just wanted to know how strict. He thinks it is stupid they want him to wear slacks on the one night they serve ribs anyway

LOL, I never thought of it that way before.:eek::D

I prefer to wear a suit on formal night but it doesn't bother me what others wear. As soon as dinner is over and we got the pictures we want,:) I go to our cabin and change into shorts and a golf shirt.

It all depends if the Maitre' D sees his jeans..He might make it past them if not the will turn him away. There is no difference in jeans and nice pants, if he insist on wearing jeans maybe the buffet is the place to eat on elegant night. They should have ribs up there too....Dennis

I don't think he cares for the ribs at all lol, I think he just doesn't like the idea that he can't (are not supposed to) wear jeans on "elegant" night, even though they are serving ribs lol. I just don't want to get there and they tell him to go change lol.

I am the same way. I hate that they serve Prime Rib, Lobster, and Ribs all on the same night and all on elegant night, which is the night I'd skip if I could. Now I have to order 3 entrees!!!! LOL

Anyhow, I am wearing jeans and a polo on regular nights. Elegant nights I will wear khakis, a dress shirt and tie. I may bring a jacket but it depends on how the packing goes. I have no plans to cram one in or to bring a garment bag. I don't even own a suit. The khakis and sport jacket get me by form the usual wedding/wakes/funerals.

We have anytime dining so that is why I asked. They will see him waiting at the door lol

Oh ATD, they will definately see him and will probably tell him to get in proper dress or use the buffet.

I know. I wear a dress every night, nothing fancy, but I don't want to miss the mdr just because he wants to wear jeans lol. I mean c'mon. They are serving ribs and the waiters sing and dance. Not exactly upscale lol. A d I know there are people who love the super formal dining (my mom lol) but I can see my spouses point lol.

I know. I wear a dress every night, nothing fancy, but I don't want to miss the mdr just because he wants to wear jeans lol. I mean c'mon. They are serving ribs and the waiters sing and dance. Not exactly upscale lol. A d I know there are people who love the super formal dining (my mom lol) but I can see my spouses point lol.

DH wore a dress shirt and pants - not jeans - and had no problem. But the Maitre 'd on the Splendor gave a little talk for the first couple of nights on proper MDR attire. IDK if they kicked anyone out, but it's the first time I've heard a Maitre 'd even mention it.

He did stop someone from wearing a baseball hat. Guy wore it everywhere on the ship. I took to calling him dancing hat guy, because he was always dancing somewhere! He had it on the first night, but never after that.

His formal/elegant night attire was a black and white checked flannel (flannel - on a summer cruise???) and black pants.

I don't see how difficult it is to at least try and dress appropriately for one night. I'm sure that now it's more of a 'statement' for him rather than anything else. But anyway, perhaps for that one night you guys could go to the Lido deck and enjoy a nice meal there. That's better than trying to get away with something and embarrassing himself or everyone around him.

I don't see how difficult it is to at least try and dress appropriately for one night. I'm sure that now it's more of a 'statement' for him rather than anything else. But anyway, perhaps for that one night you guys could go to the Lido deck and enjoy a nice meal there. That's better than trying to get away with something and embarrassing himself or everyone around him.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. It is my vacation and I choose not to dress up which Carnival allows. I won't go to the Lido deck because I still want the lobster.

Well if he misses (and causes you to miss) the MDR because he wants to wear jeans then you have to live with it. Not all rules are to be broken by everyone all the time just because it suits them better :) As long as he is ok with being turned away...then go for it. No big deal. Take your chance...if they enforce their rule...you're out of luck and enjoy the buffet.

Personally I dont care what someone wears but I don't understand why people feel entitled to break the rules just because they don't like them.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. It is my vacation and I choose not to dress up which Carnival allows. I won't go to the Lido deck because I still want the lobster.

It is indeed your vacation...and if your version of "not dressing up" falls with Carnival rules then great :) If not...it being your vacatioin has nothing to do with it.

As per Carnival FAQ

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

and this

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Archived