Question About Cancelling One Person on Day of Cruise

br3ds0x

Had a quick question if anyone has had any similar experiences. My brother just got a new job and therefore may not be able to go on our cruise on 8/9. We are still in the window of being able to cancel his booking and get 50% of the fare back. The issue is he is in a room of 2, and according to the TA if we cancel his fare that will make my other brother's fare a single occupancy, which means we will not get any refund at all. The TA did mention that if we were able to find someone else to take his place on the cruise, Celebrity would change the name for no fee.

I was curious what would happen if we showed up the day of the cruise and notified them that my brother was unable to go on the cruise. I certainly would expect to lose out on his fare, but would they turn around and increase the other rate to a single occupancy? It seems kind of crazy that they would do this since I could technically go pull a random person off the street to use his booking and we wouldn't have to pay any money. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Had a quick question if anyone has had any similar experiences. My brother just got a new job and therefore may not be able to go on our cruise on 8/9. We are still in the window of being able to cancel his booking and get 50% of the fare back. The issue is he is in a room of 2, and according to the TA if we cancel his fare that will make my other brother's fare a single occupancy, which means we will not get any refund at all. The TA did mention that if we were able to find someone else to take his place on the cruise, Celebrity would change the name for no fee.

I was curious what would happen if we showed up the day of the cruise and notified them that my brother was unable to go on the cruise. I certainly would expect to lose out on his fare, but would they turn around and increase the other rate to a single occupancy? It seems kind of crazy that they would do this since I could technically go pull a random person off the street to use his booking and we wouldn't have to pay any money. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

We had this exact think happen to us in 2003. My wife's mother and aunt were scheduled in a room on a cruise with us. Wife's aunt got sick and could not go. They did not charge any extra fare since they already got both fares. Her mother was in the room for 10 days by herself for the same price. Aunt got the money back from insurance.

We had this exact think happen to us in 2003. My wife's mother and aunt were scheduled in a room on a cruise with us. Wife's aunt got sick and could not go. They did not charge any extra fare since they already got both fares. Her mother was in the room for 10 days by herself for the same price. Aunt got the money back from insurance.

Same thing has happened to us twice. The other person didn't show up, and the person left in the room had it all to himself, with no additional fees.

Usually you're better off to cancel one person rather than just not having them show up. You may lose the entire cruise fare but the person canceling should get a refund of taxes & fees.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks

I think the year was 2009. I was cruising with a friend who got in a car accident on the way to port and did not make it before we sailed. At that time we had bought the insurance Celebrity offers. Since she was a no show, Celebrity gave her a vocher worth, I think, 80% of what she paid. It had to be used in 12 months. I cruised solo.

Thanks

Friend of mine had to cancel at last minute a few years ago. Single fare can vary but generally less than than 200%. In our case it was 180%, so they gave us a 20% refund on his fare and I had the cabin to myself. Worse case , you lose his fare, best case they give you a partial refund if you ask earlier. Plus as already mentioned, you will get back taxes and port fees at least if you let them know in advance. Day of cruise I think they no longer have that obligation.

The OP's brother's reason for not going on the cruise would not be covered by insurance. If he didn't show up on the day of sailing he would lose his entire payment. The other person would sail alone because the cabin would have been paid in full.

Thanks

surly your brother should be able to honour his vacation date with his new company as this was arranged before the new job was offered. Both me and my husband have had no problem over the past 30 years of our working life in doing this when a new job has appeared. And with the greatest respect, it is his responsibility to make good monies that are lost or oweing

surly your brother should be able to honour his vacation date with his new company as this was arranged before the new job was offered. Both me and my husband have had no problem over the past 30 years of our working life in doing this when a new job has appeared. And with the greatest respect, it is his responsibility to make good monies that are lost or oweing

In theory you may be right, but in this economy? Depending on what

the new job is? I would guess we don't know all the details either.

With greatest respect, I would not jump on them so quickly:eek:

:rolleyes:

Really, the OP wrote they know they will lose the fare, they just do not want get hit with the singe supplement after lose the cruise fare for the brother

Thanks for the replies, we will probably just hold out and wait in the off chance that he can end up going. It's his first job out of college that he's been looking for for almost a year so in the big scheme of things that probably takes priority over a cruise :cool:

Thanks for the replies, we will probably just hold out and wait in the off chance that he can end up going. It's his first job out of college that he's been looking for for almost a year so in the big scheme of things that probably takes priority over a cruise :cool:

Best of luck !

Archived