New to NCL

I'm new to cruising on NCL. I'll be on the Norwegian Dawn leaving 12/22/13 from Tampa. I'm going with a friend and we are booked in a balcony stateroom. All of my other cruises have been on Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Looking for some feedback on NCL - any helpful information on what to expect to make my trip enjoyable. Thanks!

I'm new to cruising on NCL. I'll be on the Norwegian Dawn leaving 12/22/13 from Tampa. I'm going with a friend and we are booked in a balcony stateroom. All of my other cruises have been on Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Looking for some feedback on NCL - any helpful information on what to expect to make my trip enjoyable. Thanks!

.....just keep on searching and reading this board. Your question is just too broad a spectrum for an answer.

wasiii

I think that if you comfortable on Royal then you will feel just fine on NCL. I really enjoyed NCL. I'm sure you will have a great time. For freestyle cruising, if you wish to see the 7:00/7:30 show then eat as soon as the venue opens or after the show. If you wish to see 9:00/9:30 show I'd advise to be seated for dinner by 7:30. Btw enjoy the shower in your cabin, NCL has much better showers then RCI, at least better than the terrible ones on the Enchantment OTS. Yeah other than that just peruse the boards for some more things.

I think you will really like NCL and enjoy the Dawn. We have cruised RC as well and like both lines. You might miss the more personal service and attention that I think RC gives, although you will get what you need on NCL. I felt like the food on RC was better in the MDR compared to NCL, but prefer the buffet on NCL. Just an opinion. Have fun!

If you scroll down through the postings, I think you will lots of feedback about NCL and what to expect. After reading through posts from the past week or so, come back with any specific questions. Folks here are very helpful.

And - try to be specific in your title as well.

A holiday cruise will be a full cruise and sailing out of Tampa will probably be an older crowd. Your balcony stateroom will be smaller than the other two lines you sail. Having sailed the same three lines, I think the staff and crew are most friendly on Norwegian and HAL. You will notice more and varied entertainment on Norwegian than on HAL. HAL has better main dining room options but Norwegian has better buffet and better specialty restaurant options.

We can tell you more if you ask more specific type questions. My mantra is to think opposite the masses when cruising...for example, 12/24 and 12/25 will be busy in all restaurants so you might want to make a reservation ahead of time...

coka

Where in SWFL are you? We have a home there as well, and are moving perm. there in 2 years. Cannot wait.

I think you will like NCL. It's more comparable to RCCL than it is to HA. It's a very laid back, relaxing type of cruise. Also, sailing out of Tampa, you will have a good mix of passengers. Enjoy!!

Exactly same situation for us - HAL and RCI and new to NCL. I've read every thread like this one that I can find to mentally prepare expectation levels.

My only adjustment to NCL from other lines was not having assigned dining.

So many people on RCI are now doing My Time Dining they should be pretty familiar with NCLs procedure. Only differnce I've noted in posts is that waitstaff moves around different venues so unlike MTD where you can try to set your own time and request a server they might not be available at that venue.

As near as I can tell using the sauna or steamroom on NCL requires buying a spa pass whereas those are free on RCI.

I've noted a very high level of suite emphasis on NCL posts - suite perqs do seem to be much better than RCI including some with access to the private pool area called "The Haven".

The Lattitudes program looks to be significantly better than Crown & Anchor - especially at the highest levels and the point (nights) needed between tiers is lower. If we do two more TAs like our next cruise (booked 9+ months out) we will be in highest tier in just three trips.

Another huge difference for some RCI cruisers is ability to bring more than two bottles of wine (with corkage fee) as well as ability to purchase a bar setup in the cabin. RCI has been very strict on limiting in cabin drinking because it is more difficult to monitor daily consumption.

We are very much looking forward to packing no formal wear on NCL and not feeling like we are missing out on something.

I hear there is a lot more NCL Officer involvement at the CC Meet & Greet event than on RCI - often involving the Captain.

All in all there are some very positive differences that we are looking forward to.

You will love NCL! :) The freestyle dining is the best part because my brothers can't wait till 8pm to have dinner. And I think NCL has a lot on their ships to offer (entertainment wise) I have never been on Dawn, but let me know if you have anymore questions! I have cruised with NCL since I was born, well, I have done at least 9-10 with them. I know a lot about NCL ships and can help ya out! :)

Check out my blog!!!

cruiseandtravelblog.blogspot.com! :)

Thank you all for your responses. I'm trying to get a feel of what the experience on the cruise will be and you have been very helpful. My impression from your posts is that NCL is a very casual cruise - no need to pack my formal wear. I'll probably include a nice dress in my suitcase for Christmas dinner/Christmas eve dinner. I'm hoping the ship will be festive that week.

Would be interested in having more information on dining onboard. Can I make a reservation online before boarding at the restaurants? Or do I wait until I am onboard?

Thank you, again. I'm certain I will have more questions as my cruise approaches!

Thank you all for your responses. I'm trying to get a feel of what the experience on the cruise will be and you have been very helpful. My impression from your posts is that NCL is a very casual cruise - no need to pack my formal wear. I'll probably include a nice dress in my suitcase for Christmas dinner/Christmas eve dinner. I'm hoping the ship will be festive that week.

Would be interested in having more information on dining onboard. Can I make a reservation online before boarding at the restaurants? Or do I wait until I am onboard?

Thank you, again. I'm certain I will have more questions as my cruise approaches!

You can make reservations online starting 45 days before your cruise at NCL.com (55 days before for Haven/Suite passengers). However IMO, you don't need to reserve online unless you are planning a special occasion with the exception of Teppanyaki because it's much more limited seating and popular with families with children.

The evening's menu is posted outside the main dining room in the afternoon and I usually look at the menu before deciding whether or not to reserve a specialty restaurant instead.

NCL started freestyle cruising. Their main dining rooms are restaurant-style first-come first-served seating. So wait times depend on whether you go during peak dinner times. I've found evening waitstaff are usually not rotated in the evening and stay in the same restaurant. You can in fact ask for the same server by name if find one you like in particular and if they have a station open, you'll be seated there (hit or miss). If you like to socialize, you can mention that you'd like to share a table, and you'll be seated with other folks that want the same. This may also get you seated faster.

Specialty restaurant reservations are made on board by calling from your cabin or going to the restaurant reservations desk next to guest services. Also, if you are interested in an upscale dining experiences, then book the Chef's Table immediately upon boarding - This is a 12 course meal with specially pair wines, prepared by and hosted by the head chef and one of the maitre d's. There is typically only one seating of 12 people. Cost is around $80 but many consider it worth it especially if you enjoy wine. I enjoyed it very much and I rarely drink wine.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_030612

As someone mentioned above, there is a dress up or not night. Many folks dress up with ladies in nice evening dresses, guys in suits/blazers etc. Even on regular nights, I find most people dress "neat" casual for dinner like you are dressing for a night at a nice restaurant. The two dining rooms have different dress codes, the larger "Venetian" is slightly stricter. For instance, clean neat jeans are allowed in the Venetian, but shorts are not. The smaller main dining room allows shorts.

NCL normally has a full tractor/trailer of Christmas decorations that come onboard around the 1st/2nd week in Dec (depends on ship and embark day). Live Christmas trees (sprayed with fire retardant), and many Poinsettia arrangements. Floral arrangements are changed every embarkation day. Atrium will normally have a gingerbread village baked onboard.

Archived