New Wine Policy

five prior ncl cruises and never had my wine, vodka, vermouth, & brandy taken. it goes in my luggage and gets delivered to the cabin. that way i get my pre dinner martini's, wine when i want it on the balcony, and brandy for a nightcap.

I don't think they should ban chateau du cardboard cuz it isn't wine don't you know!

We had friends with us on a RCCL cruise in 2002 who had a bottle of Tequila in their checked luggage to smudge it aboard. The porters somehow broke the bottle while it was in their suitcase and they smelled like old stale tequila the whole cruise.:eek:

five prior ncl cruises and never had my wine, vodka, vermouth, & brandy taken. it goes in my luggage and gets delivered to the cabin. that way i get my pre dinner martini's, wine when i want it on the balcony, and brandy for a nightcap.

I don't think they should ban chateau du cardboard cuz it isn't wine don't you know!

and how many years ago was this? did you use rum runners or was the wine in plastic containers of some kind? I am not questioning you as much as wondering how you managed that? We had a little 1/2 pint (or we used to call them 1/2 pints when I was a kid) on our luggage. We had forgotten about it. Anyway, hubby got called to the naughty room. We know many others who have had the same experience. I can't imagine how you were able to get the liquor on. Now, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, yes...

no, last may on the pearl there was no problem

You just happened to get away with it. That's not usually the case. I've seen those that weren't as lucky lined up to claim their luggage.

Me too. They call it the naughty room

Suzanne

yep, that is why they call it the naughty room. I am just not about to even give it a try. I don't like the policy but I do understand it. anyone who has been successful, bringing liquor on in their luggage, might want to say a prayer and be prepared to visit that little room next time, unless they are using rum runners.

Sure got my hopes up when I first read this thread.... but that was quickly dashed!! :(

As for boxed wine I would imagine it could be a legal issue... the policy states corkage fee per unit (bottle). In other words a fee to open each bottle. A box is one unit, therefore they would probably only be able to charge one fee to open the box no matter how big it was (once it's opened, it's open). Just guessing, but there has to be a financial reason.

It could also mean that the cruiseline can't detect box wines in luggage.We usually carry our wine in our carryons which is easy to detect and question but they have to scan the luggage.They have taken my utility knife,and a curling iron from our luggage.

Do people get searched &scanned ,if one was to carry something in a pocket

I carried two rum runners in my pockets and walked right on. Also used the rum runners (bigger size) in my checked bags and had no problems.

Scanned exactly like an airport. Never saw anyone searched like at the airport.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

Well, not exactly like an airport since the scanner to board ship is the simple walk through with no metal in pockets, not that full body scanner most airports use.

Airport scanners detect liquids - regardless of the container - if you try and "walk on" to an airplane with rum runners in your pockets be prepared to miss your flight and have a nice long visit with TSA!:eek:

no, last may on the pearl there was no problem

They don't catch everyone ever cruise but be prepared when you time comes. Smile hand over your hooch and walk away with nothing for your cabin or order a bar set up and relax.

Last time on the Star they even got 6 different rum runners. Had an interesting conversation with the HD about them. He had no idea what they were. Now they do on every ship.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

So... Can I or Can I not bring wine and a bottle opener in my room and just drink it in my room without paying a corking fee?

When you board the ship you will pay the corkage fee immediately for ALL bottles of wine brought on board. You then can drink the wine anywhere on the ship including your stateroom.

five ncl cruises and no problems with bottles in the luggage. we usually cruise celebrity or holland but have done princess, carnival, and rccl and never had a problem. i need my vodka marti's with colossal olives and cocktail onions plus a full shot of vermouth LOL

five ncl cruises and no problems with bottles in the luggage. we usually cruise celebrity or holland but have done princess, carnival, and rccl and never had a problem. i need my vodka marti's with colossal olives and cocktail onions plus a full shot of vermouth LOL

Just don't be surprised and upset when your bottles don't make it to you cabin. It will happen and the only vodka martini with olives onions and a full shot of vermouth will come from a bar unless you have ordered a bar setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I've noticed the Norwegian has updated their wine policy so that they are no longer charging corkage for all bottle brought on board, just those consumed in the dining room or public areas, and that they no longer stipulate that it has to be a wine they don't carry.

Can you still buy wine in port and bring it on? Is it still subject to a no matter what corkage charge?

Any information would be great.

So, can I just say something about the power of wishful thinking! After I read your post...then the policy...it took me 3 times re-reading it to see the word stateroom!!

Debating on our cruise from Barcelona....wondering if I can find cheap enough wines in the duty free area to justify the 16.50 charge...I guess I should also look at the wine package

So, can I just say something about the power of wishful thinking! After I read your post...then the policy...it took me 3 times re-reading it to see the word stateroom!!

Debating on our cruise from Barcelona....wondering if I can find cheap enough wines in the duty free area to justify the 16.50 charge...I guess I should also look at the wine package

On our X cruise 4 years from Barcelona there was a wine store on the dock just before you boarded that had only Spanish wines. We bought a couple of good bottles for 10 euros each. X only charges a corkage fee for wine brought to the Dining rooms and bars, but it is a hefty $25.:eek:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

On our X cruise 4 years from Barcelona there was a wine store on the dock just before you boarded that had only Spanish wines. We bought a couple of good bottles for 10 euros each. X only charges a corkage fee for wine brought to the Dining rooms and bars, but it is a hefty $25.:eek:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

That wine and duty free liquor store is a trap. Sailed on RCI last summer. Lots of folks stocked up since the shops are after you clear security. Board the ship and RCI had their own scanner set up on the promenade with the sole purpose of detecting those purchases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Archived