New Wine Policy

I've noticed the Norwegian has updated their wine policy so that they are no longer charging corkage for all bottle brought on board, just those consumed in the dining room or public areas, and that they no longer stipulate that it has to be a wine they don't carry.

Can you still buy wine in port and bring it on? Is it still subject to a no matter what corkage charge?

Any information would be great.

I've noticed the Norwegian has updated their wine policy so that they are no longer charging corkage for all bottle brought on board, just those consumed in the dining room or public areas, and that they no longer stipulate that it has to be a wine they don't carry.

Can you still buy wine in port and bring it on? Is it still subject to a no matter what corkage charge?

Any information would be great.

Source?

My parents will be cruising to Bermuda in October and they were looking at the FAQ. So I went and had a look:

"What about alcohol consumption and wine corkage?

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION POLICY

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol.

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

* Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian's Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Norwegian's alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation"

I just called Mom and Dad, and Dad was so funny, because I had told him that NCL charged corkage for every bottle brought on board, and he said no he had it printed out from the NCL page where it said only for dining room and public areas. He was going to bring it with him to prove he didn't have to pay corkage unless in the public areas. He said "It says right on the page from the website that I don't".

So I had my Mom read to me the page, which is exactly what is pasted above, and she said "oops I guess I didn't read that right."

It is funny how when we want something to be true we tend to read things the way we want it to read and not what it really says. I have found this to be the case in life many times not just with vacations and cruise planning.

It is funny how when we want something to be true we tend to read things the way we want it to read and not what it really says. I have found this to be the case in life many times not just with vacations and cruise planning.

Yup...happens to me a lot :o:)

I just called Mom and Dad, and Dad was so funny, because I had told him that NCL charged corkage for every bottle brought on board, and he said no he had it printed out from the NCL page where it said only for dining room and public areas. He was going to bring it with him to prove he didn't have to pay corkage unless in the public areas. He said "It says right on the page from the website that I don't".

So I had my Mom read to me the page, which is exactly what is pasted above, and she said "oops I guess I didn't read that right."

It is a good thing you got it straightened out now with your folks or your Dad would have felt really dumb as the crew member pointed to the word 'stateroom' and put his hand out for the key card to charge the corkage fee.

Wonder why no box wines? So much easier to pack!

Tracy

Hi Tracy, they would have to charge $105 for corkage on the large size box.:eek: Wonder if you could carry on one of those cute new purse boxes and get away with it? LOL

Judy

Sure got my hopes up when I first read this thread.... but that was quickly dashed!! :(

As for boxed wine I would imagine it could be a legal issue... the policy states corkage fee per unit (bottle). In other words a fee to open each bottle. A box is one unit, therefore they would probably only be able to charge one fee to open the box no matter how big it was (once it's opened, it's open). Just guessing, but there has to be a financial reason.

"Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents..., are subject to the same fees."

Never paid a fee for wine from a TA. It must come from the ship. Can't believe the TA pays for the wine and a $15 fee.

Sure got my hopes up when I first read this thread.... but that was quickly dashed!! :(

As for boxed wine I would imagine it could be a legal issue... the policy states corkage fee per unit (bottle). In other words a fee to open each bottle. A box is one unit, therefore they would probably only be able to charge one fee to open the box no matter how big it was (once it's opened, it's open). Just guessing, but there has to be a financial reason.

It is not a flat fee per container/unit. 750ml $15, 1.5L $30. So a five liter box of wine would be $100.

I should have read it correctly the first time because I was looking right at it and it clearly says in state room.

I think they are still going to bring some red wine because they looked at the wine list and are thinking they come out ahead if they bring an $8 bottle of wine and pay corkage.

Are there any OK reds available on the ship for under $30 that they just simply don't list online?

Hi Tracy, they would have to charge $105 for corkage on the large size box.:eek: Wonder if you could carry on one of those cute new purse boxes and get away with it? LOL

Judy

They do xray pretty well, lol. We bought a small box in Europe for way less than what my Diet Cokes cost. Or maybe they saw it and thought how pathetic that someone was consuming a less than one euro box of wine.

"Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents..., are subject to the same fees."

Never paid a fee for wine from a TA. It must come from the ship. Can't believe the TA pays for the wine and a $15 fee.

TA's typically order wine for their clients from the cruise line so there would be no corkage fee. Been there, done that.

Are there any OK reds available on the ship for under $30 that they just simply don't list online?

It depends on how much they will drink. If you buy 4 or more bottles then you can get the wine package which can be as cheap as $22 a bottle (or $24.5 a bottle at the next level which includes bottles up or about $38 if bought separately).

I usually buy the middle level ($98 for 4 bottles) and this means that it isn't really worth carrying on unless you drink very cheap wine or want something specific. I sometimes carry on my favourite Rioja as it isn't included in the package, but that's the only reason I bother.

In addition to the $15 corkage fee, does NCL charges 15% gratuity charge on top?

Never have in 10+ cruises bringing wine onboard. The $15 offsets the tips they would have gotten from selling you wine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Archived