New Wine Policy

"Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents..., are subject to the same fees."

Never paid a fee for wine from a TA. It must come from the ship. Can't believe the TA pays for the wine and a $15 fee.

as a retired TA I can speak for most of them: yes, they order directly from the ship.

I should have read it correctly the first time because I was looking right at it and it clearly says in state room.

I think they are still going to bring some red wine because they looked at the wine list and are thinking they come out ahead if they bring an $8 bottle of wine and pay corkage.

Are there any OK reds available on the ship for under $30 that they just simply don't list online?

There are a couple under $30 that would be comparable to your $8 bottle. We have always brought several bottles on and paid the fee. It used to be easier because even though the rule did say $15 for a .750 liter bottle and $30 for a 1.5, they never charged the $30. Now they do, last time the gal, an older lady and anything but friendly was checking everything so closely we must have been in line 10 or 15 minutes. Now, we have decided just to depend on the wine package and forget about carrying wine on.

I still consider charging a corkage fee for wine consumed in your own stateroom to be kind of silly. Wine consumed in the restaurants, I understand.

I know why they do it, of course, but that doesn't mean that it's not nickel and diming.

I still consider charging a corkage fee for wine consumed in your own stateroom to be kind of silly. Wine consumed in the restaurants, I understand.

I know why they do it, of course, but that doesn't mean that it's not nickel and diming.

Would you prefer not being able to bring any wine onboard ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

It depends on how much they will drink. If you buy 4 or more bottles then you can get the wine package which can be as cheap as $22 a bottle (or $24.5 a bottle at the next level which includes bottles up or about $38 if bought separately).

I usually buy the middle level ($98 for 4 bottles) and this means that it isn't really worth carrying on unless you drink very cheap wine or want something specific. I sometimes carry on my favourite Rioja as it isn't included in the package, but that's the only reason I bother.

You actually save MORE $$ on more expensive wines. I buy a bottle of Veuve for $45 and pay the $15 - that's $60 for the bottle. The same bottle sells for $88 on the ship - I save $28 a bottle by carrying my own on.

You actually save MORE $$ on more expensive wines. I buy a bottle of Veuve for $45 and pay the $15 - that's $60 for the bottle. The same bottle sells for $88 on the ship - I save $28 a bottle by carrying my own on.

Yes, that's the reason I bring on my own Rioja. The ship charges about $50 for an equivalent bottle. I can get it for less than 10 Euros in Barcelona plus $15 corkage.

Obviously, my point about it only being worth it if you bring on cheap bottles only applies if you are happy to drink what is included in the wine package. I mentioned the Rioja as another reason for carrying on, but didn't make the point very well.

"When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below."

What if I promise to drink the wine in a bathroom? Does the corkage fee apply???

...sorry, couldn't resist.

++Would you prefer not being able to bring any wine onboard ;)++

No, I would prefer they do like HAL and let you bring what you drink in your room for free. Even Princess, with their new policy, allows two free bottles. NCL is just HUNGRY!

++Would you prefer not being able to bring any wine onboard ;)++

No, I would prefer they do like HAL and let you bring what you drink in your room for free. Even Princess, with their new policy, allows two free bottles. NCL is just HUNGRY!

Deleted....

OK, since there is no limit on the amount of bottles of wine one can bring, how does the cruise line know how many bottles are in a suitcase and how much corkage fee to charge? I mean, do they X-Ray or open all suitcases and then bill you at the end of the cruise?

If they detect any bottles in your suitcase then, rather than deliver them to your room, they will ask you to collect them, when you will have to open the case. They deal with the bottles then.

Basically, don't put them in your suitcase, carry them on instead.

OK, since there is no limit on the amount of bottles of wine one can bring, how does the cruise line know how many bottles are in a suitcase and how much corkage fee to charge? I mean, do they X-Ray or open all suitcases and then bill you at the end of the cruise?

Yes they do X-ray all luggage every time it's brought onboard, both checked and carry-ons.

KeithJenner already answered about what happens if you have anything looking like alcohol bottles in your checked luggage.

Yes they do X-ray all luggage every time it's brought onboard, both checked and carry-ons.

KeithJenner already answered about what happens if you have anything looking like alcohol bottles in your checked luggage.

They call you and open your luggage

"when bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below."

what if i promise to drink the wine in a bathroom? Does the corkage fee apply???

...sorry, couldn't resist.

lol!!

Apologies if it's already in this (or another) thread somewhere :o... but if you chose to declare your wine when you board and pay the $15 - is that then subject to the 'Spanish Tax' - and they then add that on top - for Epic departing Barcelona that is ?

FGig

No limit on the number of bottles. Yes every bag is X-ray. You are better off carrying wine on. They send you to a table sign for the corkage that is added to your onboard account before you board. If you check it you bag will be held but not opened. You will get a note to go to a public room to open it and pay the corkage and then carry the bag back to your room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Apologies if it's already in this (or another) thread somewhere :o... but if you chose to declare your wine when you board and pay the $15 - is that then subject to the 'Spanish Tax' - and they then add that on top - for Epic departing Barcelona that is ?

FGig

Yes they do. You actually pay $16.50 a bottle.

five prior ncl cruises and never had my wine, vodka, vermouth, & brandy taken. it goes in my luggage and gets delivered to the cabin. that way i get my pre dinner martini's, wine when i want it on the balcony, and brandy for a nightcap.

I don't think they should ban chateau du cardboard cuz it isn't wine don't you know!

five prior ncl cruises and never had my wine, vodka, vermouth, & brandy taken. it goes in my luggage and gets delivered to the cabin. that way i get my pre dinner martini's, wine when i want it on the balcony, and brandy for a nightcap.

I don't think they should ban chateau du cardboard cuz it isn't wine don't you know!

You were very lucky.

Archived