Insurance

KruiserKat

We are considering a world cruise which exceeds 100 days and $100,000. Our regular insurance co. has $ caps which preclude using them. We would prefer a company which accepts payment at the final payment. Insure my trip can't help. Who do people taking this type of trip and require a significant medical amt use? Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

There aren't a lot o World cruisers who post on this board on a regular basis.

I suggest that you pose your question on the World Cruise Roll Call thread. Since you would be cruising with those people anyway, it will be an opportunity to get to know them, and they would have the experience to give you some good pointers.

I bought travel insurance for my upcoming world cruise through Travel Guard. I called three different companies and only Travel Guard was able to customize the coverage in the areas that I considered the most important. I was able to get $1,000,000 for emergency evacuation (others were offering $500,000) and $100,000 for accident/sickness medical care (others were offering $25,000 and 50,000).

I bought travel insurance for my upcoming world cruise through Travel Guard. I called three different companies and only Travel Guard was able to customize the coverage in the areas that I considered the most important. I was able to get $1,000,000 for emergency evacuation (others were offering $500,000) and $100,000 for accident/sickness medical care (others were offering $25,000 and 50,000).

Just a quick question. What situation are you insuring against that $500,000 evacuation would not be enough?

Scott & Karen

Just a quick question. What situation are you insuring against that $500,000 evacuation would not be enough?

Scott & Karen

The million for evacuation was part of the upgrade package with the increased medical. As part of the evacuation it included "hospital of choice". Even with all the upgrades it was cheaper than the other two companies and the insurance offered by Cunard.

We are considering a world cruise which exceeds 100 days and $100,000. Our regular insurance co. has $ caps which preclude using them. We would prefer a company which accepts payment at the final payment. Insure my trip can't help. Who do people taking this type of trip and require a significant medical amt use? Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

What policy you can use will depend on your location. Even if in the US, only those from certain states can get certain policies.

We use CSA Freestyle which can be paid at final and covers pre-existing conditions including for those family members not traveling with you.

I have heard others say for that type of cruise you should get an annual policy.

If you need the pre-existing, you can just insure the amount of your down payment and buy more insurance as you make payments. That's what we always do for the world cruise. We only have one more payment after the down payment because we pay the entire balance in May before the cruise in September so we get the 3% discount. In May I just call Travel Guard and tell them the additional amount we paid and they charge us for the additional insurance. This insures we have the pre-existing waiver.

leslie

We bought a six month travel policy directly through an insurance broker.

We found that some of the pre packaged offerings either did not need our requirements or were too expensive. We actually ended up with a one year policy with extensions to the standard 60 day clause to bring it to 180 days of consecutive out of country travel.

We found that we got much better coverage options and a lower price by doing it this way. We were also able to select deductables. By increasing our deductible to $2K we lowered the premium by, I think, 23 percent. We would have gone to a 10K deductible if it was offered and if the premium savings were worthwhile.

Offerings vary by jurisdiction. We are in Canada. It took us a while to find the right policy BUT we were not insuring for very much trip interruption..it was primarily medical and medical evac. We found that the easier it was to buy the insurance on line, the more expensive it was vis a vis other options and the more inferior the coverage. That makes sense when you think about it.

So, you might want to try a good insurance broker or call a high end TA that specializes in extended travel periods. Our experience has been that a lot of the run of the mill TA's really do not know very much about travel insurance policies other than to say that you need one and the one they sell is the cat's pajamas. It is too important to leave to someone else's discretion or opinion.

Archived