Port Day Pack

shiznics

So I'm curious... in browsing CC there are tons of posts and suggestions on what to pack and NOT to pack in your luggage for the trip.... my question, is what do all the wonderful OCD planners/packers use for the ports? Do you use a shopping bag, back pack, tote bag??? ...and further more what are the 'must haves' included in your day pack?

I have a backpack that I bought from Amazon a couple years ago that has been my travel companion...although this will be my first cruise. The backpack is small, packs/travels well, and surprisingly has tons of pockets and organization for its small size. It also holds up very well, considering the many shopping days its seen as well as all the amusement parks its survived.

If you're curious....this is the backpack I have: http://www.amazon.com/Vespa-Mens-Nylon-Mini-Backpack/dp/B008L16U2W/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1374038159&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=vespa+backpack

Off the top of my head...I'm guessing it would be good to take:

• $$$
  • ID Cards & Seapass Card
  • Xtra Suncreen
  • mini umbrella or poncho
  • bandaids

Anything else to consider? Too much? Not enough? What are you essential Port Take-Alongs? I know for a beach day it would be pretty standard but what about the days you're planning on doing some shopping or doing tours or whatever in any of the ports?

We always use a backpack for our excursions. If it is a beach or snorkle excursion we take our swimsuits a beach towel, and sunscreen. One thing I always take is a ziplock bag with ice and a washcloth. So if it is really hot and humid I can wash my face. We usually also bring our underwater camera. Small bills ones and fives in case we want to buy something we have the correct amount to pay for it and not worry if we will get the right change back.

Depending on the port and what you are doing, perhaps a water bottle. I also carry a ziplock bag with toilet paper folded in it. You never know what you will find (or not find) in a port.:eek:

Lots of people use backpacks just be careful with it as they are easy prey for thieves.

DH takes the back pack. It contains the camera and small portable umbrellas. If we are going on an excursion, we take collapsible water bottles.

I take a tiny purse which has my ID card, driver's license, pill container if we intend to eat off the ship and my charge card with small bills (ones and fives).

I take what is needed for whatever excursion/activity....if it's shopping, then I don't bring anything I wouldn't bring to go shopping at home!

I carry the least amount possible...a smallish purse...no backpacks! If we're going to the beach, a tote with towels, sunscreen, book, etc....is all I need!

I never carry water, unless we'll be somewhere in the "wilds" where none is available....it's too heavy!

I don't know what ports you will be visiting but some of the ones that we took excursions at did not have proper bathroom facilities; at least by US standards. Therefore, we starting packing travel sizes of Kleenex ( can double as TP), Wet Wipes and sanitizing gel. We put these items in a sandwich sized ziplock. Better safe than sorry. :)

We also carry a few energy or granola bars and a few packets of Crystal Lite mix-ins for water. We have been on a few excursions where lunch was not included and/or what was offered did not look like it was prepared in sanitary conditions.

:)

For us, it simply varies by port. When we go off on our own (we seldom take excursions) in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. we do always take some cash and 1 major credit card (a necessity in case we were to miss the ship) and cruise card. When we are going to snorkel we take our snorkel gear (housed in 2 dive bags). If we need more then that we might take a backpack. As to water, we always buy our drinks ashore where they are usually cheaper then the stuff sold on ships not to mention cold. If we are going to rent a car, or walk in a very large city we might take our own GPS.

Hank

Camera and extra battery. But I use a large cross body bag. I would not wear a backpack unless you could secure the main compartment with a lock. Too much temptation for a pickpocket when you bag is behind your back. EM

Camera and extra battery. But I use a large cross body bag. I would not wear a backpack unless you could secure the main compartment with a lock. Too much temptation for a pickpocket when you bag is behind your back. EM

Thats a good idea! I usually feel pretty safe when the backpack I carry as it has many pockets and organization areas on the inside and just isn't one large open compartment....still, better safe than sorry. I mainly want it to be able to put purchases or personal things in that I might need while in port. I'm looking at an Eastern Caribbean cruise so the ports would include the 'big' shopping ones St. Thomas/St. John and St. Maarten...not really planning on any excursions, just some browsing and shopping in each port and being extremely lazy on the beach.

...and I second the question about what type of ID it would be good to take in each port.... should I have my passport with me or is it a better idea to leave it back in the room safe?

I carry a cross-body bag with my S&S, small bills, camera, etc. My DH takes a small back pack which he secures toward the front of his body. Then we take our credit card and passport (in a passport safety sleeve) and these go into a cloth passport holder which we wear around our neck under our clothes. This works for us.:)

Archived