Emerald Princess Cabin Question

Kevin Hort

I have a question regarding cabins on the Emerald Princess. My wife and I are booked on the Emerald for a cruise that leaves on 2/17/14. We have never cruised on a Princess ship in this class so it is all new to us. Before I booked our cabin I did some research and we ended up choosing a cabin on the Caribe Deck because of the slightly larger balconies.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from our travel agent that said we had been "upgraded" to a balcony cabin on the Riviera Deck. After looking at the deck plans it appears that the cabins are about the same size, but the balcony for the cabin on the Riviera Deck is smaller.

My question: Is this really an upgrade? Aside from being three decks higher, is there any advantage to being on the Riviera Deck vs. the Caribe Deck? I have asked our travel agent to get us back into our original cabin, but in case that isn't possible, I was hoping to find out if the general feeling is that the Riviera Deck is really better than the Caribe Deck.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and insights!

I have a question regarding cabins on the Emerald Princess. My wife and I are booked on the Emerald for a cruise that leaves on 2/17/14. We have never cruised on a Princess ship in this class so it is all new to us. Before I booked our cabin I did some research and we ended up choosing a cabin on the Caribe Deck because of the slightly larger balconies.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from our travel agent that said we had been "upgraded" to a balcony cabin on the Riviera Deck. After looking at the deck plans it appears that the cabins are about the same size, but the balcony for the cabin on the Riviera Deck is smaller.

My question: Is this really an upgrade? Aside from being three decks higher, is there any advantage to being on the Riviera Deck vs. the Caribe Deck? I have asked our travel agent to get us back into our original cabin, but in case that isn't possible, I was hoping to find out if the general feeling is that the Riviera Deck is really better than the Caribe Deck.

NO! It is not an upgrade. Get your TA to put you back in your Caribe cabin and mark it NO UPGRADE.

I don't know what you had, but 307 and 321 are available, as well as 522 and 617. Your TA should have known better. :(

We are on the cruise just prior to yours.

NO! It is not an upgrade. Get your TA to put you back in your Caribe cabin and mark it NO UPGRADE.

I don't know what you had, but 307 and 321 are available, as well as 522 and 617. Your TA should have known better. :(

We are on the cruise just prior to yours.

Thank you very much for the response! That is what I thought as well. I will make sure we get back on the Caribe Deck.

No comparison, Kevin...

This is why we select the cabin we want and have our TA indicate NO UPGRADES! Quite often, Princess' idea of an upgrade will put people in a location that, although a more expensive category, is really inferior. As mentioned above, your TA didn't really do you any favors by not making this clear.

Hope you are able to get a Caribe Deck cabin...

Lew

I think if you personally pick your cabin you should always mark in no upgrade. Then you know that you will not be moved around the ship and you will have the cabin you picked and paid for.

Agreed...

However, in this case the OP is a first-time Princess cruiser who depended on his TA to provide information and ask the correct questions. Obviously that did not happen.

Lew

Welcome! As it stands we are booked on this cruise as well in a Caribe balcony. I agree that Caribe is the place to be. We have been playing musical cabins and one that we had vacated for a better location is still available in the aft (C727). Did you get back to Caribe deck?

its considered an upgrade because its a higher deck but having the large Caribe balcony definately outweighs being on the higher deck. i would try to get the original back and have your rez marked no upgrades

Agreed...

However, in this case the OP is a first-time Princess cruiser who depended on his TA to provide information and ask the correct questions. Obviously that did not happen.

Lew

Good call....it should just be a questions discussed at time of booking as when you book anything with Princess directly they even ask if you want it marked for upgrades. Just seems like a huge factor to miss!

Your TA should have known better. :(

In this case, the TA was just passing on the communication from Princess about the upgrade.

At the time of booking the TA should have (and we do not know if did) ask the OP if an upgrade would be OK down the road.

Welcome! As it stands we are booked on this cruise as well in a Caribe balcony. I agree that Caribe is the place to be. We have been playing musical cabins and one that we had vacated for a better location is still available in the aft (C727). Did you get back to Caribe deck?

My TA is working on it. Princess told her it would take a couple of days but they said it would not be a problem.

My wife and I cruised Princess once before, but it was some time ago. On that trip we didn't pick a specific cabin and found out our cabin assignment at embarkation. It never occurred to me that if we picked a specific cabin number that we could be moved by the cruise line unless we told them otherwise. It is always a learning process!

In this case, the TA was just passing on the communication from Princess about the upgrade.

At the time of booking the TA should have (and we do not know if did) ask the OP if an upgrade would be OK down the road.

No, I was not asked this question. :)

My TA is working on it. Princess told her it would take a couple of days but they said it would not be a problem.

My wife and I cruised Princess once before, but it was some time ago. On that trip we didn't pick a specific cabin and found out our cabin assignment at embarkation. It never occurred to me that if we picked a specific cabin number that we could be moved by the cruise line unless we told them otherwise. It is always a learning process!

Your TA is "working" on it? This is something that is done instantaneously. It does not take a couple of days. I would seriously consider finding a new TA for your next cruise.

Don't know why it should take a couple of days. When we book direct with Princess, I call and they do it right away. If I can't get my original cabin, there is usually one right near it.

This happened two days after I recently booked a Hawaii cruise. We picked a specific cabin on Caribe towards the aft.Then I get the email with the Upgrade? Still on Caribe, four cabins away from mine(higher category), right next to laundry room. Got my old cabin back and marked it no upgrade.They must have given your cabin away but with others available, shouldn't be a problem. Your travel agent may not be really sharp on booking cruises and how it works.

While we always pick our cabin and mark it "No Upgrade" apparently that doesn't always guarantee they won't move you! Sunsetbeachgal is on the Royal now and is posting a Live From thread. She was in an inside cabin marked "No Upgrade" because she was traveling with family and they had 3 insides together. When she got to 'her' cabin, the name was not hers and she realized she had been upgraded to a balcony. While she was very happy about the upgrade, she is just one example of people being upgraded even when their reservation was marked "No Upgrade"

I booked on the Princess website, picked the cabin I want, but didn't see any option for "no upgrade". Where would I find this and can I still add it? Thanks

There is no option on the site. Call Princess and tell them and also your TA if you turn it over.

Just heard from my TA and we are back in our original cabin on Caribe Deck. We now have the "no upgrade" listing attached to our booking. Thank you all again for the thoughts and advice!

Congrats Kevin and have a great cruise. Also, rethink this particular TA in the future.

Archived