Royal Caribbean should look at the CC homepage poll

That part of your post reminded me of one of the lunches we had in the Windjammer on Oasis.:eek:

Yes this is one positive of having a teenager, she will be off somewhere and we won't need to go to places with small children. Gone are those days, my daughter doesn't chuck her food about anymore, yippee!!!!!!

I will just say that as a smoker, I'm still trying to wrap my head around who these people are that are spending all day smoking on their balconies?!? Like all day? I smoke more than I should in general (sadly) but I couldn't actually be smoking all day on my balcony because honestly who spends that much time in their cabin?! Maybe between dinner and a show. Or really quick first thing in the morning before leaving for port all day. But all day?! I clearly need to find all these people who are chain smoking ALL DAY and ask them why they spent all their money just to go smoke in international waters and how they can afford all those cigarettes on top of it!

Ocean Boy,

Oggin is a British slang term for the sea or ocean.

You can always re title yourself "Oggin Boy" :D when you cruise from UK waters.

Thank you for the translation. And I might seriously consider the name change!:D:D

Of course the front desk hides behind the usual (We cannot help you because of policies, etc.) verbiage.

I'm a little confused. What do you want the front desk to do? Smoking is allowed on balconies. Why would the front desk do something about behavior that is expressly permitted?

For those of you who continue to think this is a battle of MY/YOUR balcony I will say once more that this argument is irrelevant. It's all about safety. Here is an article that was in Sunday's Orlando Sun Sentinel. No, it doesn't address smoking but it certainly mentions fires as a safety issue. No matter what happens or what date it ends up happening, it's not about you or me. It's about all of us.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-28/news/os-cruise-industry-crackdown-20130728_1_cruise-industry-kendall-carver-cruise-ships

I did speak to someone on the ship today (lower level crew) and they still believe the date is August 1st although I have my doubts it will be so soon at this point.

Gina

For those of you who continue to think this is a battle of MY/YOUR balcony I will say once more that this argument is irrelevant. It's all about safety. Here is an article that was in Sunday's Orlando Sun Sentinel. No, it doesn't address smoking but it certainly mentions fires as a safety issue. No matter what happens or what date it ends up happening, it's not about you or me. It's about all of us.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-28/news/os-cruise-industry-crackdown-20130728_1_cruise-industry-kendall-carver-cruise-ships

I did speak to someone on the ship today (lower level crew) and they still believe the date is August 1st although I have my doubts it will be so soon at this point.

Gina

I no longer have a dog in this hunt since DW and I switched to PVs three years ago, but considering the date seems to be coming from crew and not management, it is entirely possible that the 8/1 date is when smoking by crewmembers in their cabins will be prohibited. Perhaps an outflow reaction from the Grandeur fire.

I no longer have a dog in this hunt since DW and I switched to PVs three years ago, but considering the date seems to be coming from crew and not management, it is entirely possible that the 8/1 date is when smoking by crewmembers in their cabins will be prohibited. Perhaps an outflow reaction from the Grandeur fire.

The date originally was from management. Both changes were to occur at the same time. It could have changed since first report. But, yes, today it was from crew who said the date is still on. I wouldn't take this as confirmation. I was just curious so I asked. The point of my post was the news article. Not to argue the validity of the change or the date. I thought others might want to read about the safety concerns hanging over the industry. And apparently on August 1st one change will be the availability on the website of crime statistics on board since 2010. Or so the article states. And we know we can believe what we read in the newspaper. ;) haha!

My TA called Royal Caribbean about the rumored smoking ban on balconies beginning August 1 on all RCI ships. She was told by a RCI representative that they haven't been informed about a new smoking policy which begins on August 1. The RCI representative stated that they were only reiterating the no smoking policy on the Oasis and Allure - Central Park and Boardwalk balconies on August 1.

If they do ban smoking I will probably be cancelling my Greek Isle cruise since we are travelling with a smoker who will definitely cancel if this ban is put in place (he is an airline employee, we are using a buddy pass for the airfare and cannot travel without him).

My TA called Royal Caribbean about the rumored smoking ban on balconies beginning August 1 on all RCI ships. She was told by a RCI representative that they haven't been informed about a new smoking policy which begins on August 1. The RCI representative stated that they were only reiterating the no smoking policy on the Oasis and Allure - Central Park and Boardwalk balconies on August 1.

If they do ban smoking I will probably be cancelling my Greek Isle cruise since we are travelling with a smoker who will definitely cancel if this ban is put in place (he is an airline employee, we are using a buddy pass for the airfare and cannot travel without him).

No disrespect to the RCI phone reps, but if you want current news you're better off just watching Cruise Critic :) Those phone reps seem to often be the last to know anything.

No disrespect to the RCI phone reps, but if you want current news you're better off just watching Cruise Critic :) Those phone reps seem to often be the last to know anything.

I agree. I don't trust the information the rep. gave to my TA.

I will be disappointed if the smoking ban goes into effect immediately. I am looking forward to my Oct. 5 cruise to the Greek Isles. I am not a smoker but the person I am traveling with is. She has already stated that if there is no smoking on the balconies she will be cancelling. If she cancels then I will have to cancel as well. We are traveling on buddy passes to Europe - $400 round trip per person vs. $1500 per person. I won't be able to afford the airfare at this time so we definitely will have to cancel (didn't budget for it because it wasn't necessary).

Wouldn't it already be too late to cancel an Oct 5 cruise and get a full refund? I guess, at this point you would only lose your deposit, though, so not a huge loss.

I probably would rebook something local for the same week (Explorer of the Seas) or maybe something out of Florida. It's only the airfare to Europe that would keep us from going. I tried searching the internet for news with regard to this rumored policy change and so far I haven't found anything other than what is on the CC boards.

The couple I am travelling with are both D+ and said that they would never cruise with Royal again if this policy is put into place.

The date originally was from management. Both changes were to occur at the same time. It could have changed since first report. But, yes, today it was from crew who said the date is still on. I wouldn't take this as confirmation. I was just curious so I asked. The point of my post was the news article. Not to argue the validity of the change or the date. I thought others might want to read about the safety concerns hanging over the industry. And apparently on August 1st one change will be the availability on the website of crime statistics on board since 2010. Or so the article states. And we know we can believe what we read in the newspaper. ;) haha!

I think I read that the US passed a law making this mandatory. Gotta love Washington....

I travel with a D+ cruiser who is a smoker and I am sure she will rethink her cruise vacations if smoking on balconies is stopped.

I am not a smoker but the person I am traveling with is. She has already stated that if there is no smoking on the balconies she will be cancelling.

The couple I am travelling with are both D+ and said that they would never cruise with Royal again if this policy is put into place.

OK, who is it? SHE, HE or THEY? :D

Either way, it sounds like you need a more considerate travel companion, if he, she or they would cancel out from under you because of something like this. Hope it works out for you.

OK, who is it? SHE, HE or THEY? :D

Either way, it sounds like you need a more considerate travel companion, if he, she or they would cancel out from under you because of something like this. Hope it works out for you.

It's a couple. The smoker is the female and the airline employee is her husband. Sorry for the confusion but I was in work and was trying to sneak a couple of posts in.

They will definitely cancel. I would be disappointed but I understand why she would cancel. She likes to be able to go out on the balcony for a quick smoke when we are in the room. It's really inconvenient for her to have to go to a designated area every time she wants to smoke.

If the cruise was out of a US port my husband and I would go even if they cancel. At this point I'm just hoping that even if its a new policy it does not go into effect until after our scheduled cruise.

I received an answer to my email to RCI today.

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

In regards to your email, we have not been advised of any changes being made to the smoking policy onboard any of the Royal Caribbean International ships.

I will just say that as a smoker, I'm still trying to wrap my head around who these people are that are spending all day smoking on their balconies?!? Like all day? I smoke more than I should in general (sadly) but I couldn't actually be smoking all day on my balcony because honestly who spends that much time in their cabin?! Maybe between dinner and a show. Or really quick first thing in the morning before leaving for port all day. But all day?! I clearly need to find all these people who are chain smoking ALL DAY and ask them why they spent all their money just to go smoke in international waters and how they can afford all those cigarettes on top of it!

Like. Never seen anyone on their balcony all day. In fact, most cruises, seems as if no one on their balcony same time as me.

I think its funny when people feel the need to tell us they will not cruise or they will cancel the cruise on threads like this. Who cares:rolleyes:

there will be a ton of non smokers lined up to book who want to try rci;)

Starting to sound like the DID threads

I think its funny when people feel the need to tell us they will not cruise or they will cancel the cruise on threads like this. Who cares:rolleyes:

there will be a ton of non smokers lined up to book who want to try rci;)

Starting to sound like the DID threads

They're just expressing their opinions on the matter.

fb-like-button.jpg

I have been asking that same question because I had been wondering the same thing, but noone seems to answer that question:

LOL! This thread cracks me up! I am not smoker and this is hilarious because from what I am reading there have been very few smokers making comments in this thread. It has been for the most part non smokers arguing among themselves. LOL! And who stays on their balcony all day to know that smokers are out there all day smoking??? You would think that the non smokers happen to always meet up at the same time of day on the balconies or both spend all day everyday of the cruise on their balcony. You would also think that the smokers smoke has found a pocket on their neighbors balcony to just linger around so that when the neighbor comes out they are overtaken by this smoke just sitting there even though this ship is moving with the wind blowing it away! If you really think that you are going to catch enough 2nd hand smoke on your balcony on a moving ship with the wind blowing to cause a health concern then.......... LOL! Too funny!

I have been asking that same question because I had been wondering the same thing, but noone seems to answer that question:

There are some people who seem to be almost constantly smoking, but I think the biggest problems usually arise when you have the misfortune of having multiple cabins of heavy smokers close to yours. I've had that happen, but only once.

Really, though, a smoker doesn't have to be out 24/7 to seem like a constant nuisance to a neighbor. If the two just happen to have similar schedules of the time of day they tend to want to hang out on the balcony, it can appear that the smoker is "always" out there.

I hope this answers your nagging question that you felt had been left unanswered. :cool:

Almost half of cruisers have a problem with smoking balcony neighbors.

Wake up RCI! When I pay ten thousand dollars for a suite, I don't want smoke in my face during breakfast!

I fear it is a money issue. RCI caters to many people in other countries, as well as those from the US. Many other countries don't view smoking as we in the US do. I won't allow anyone to smoke on my balcony, but that is my cabin and I am usually in a suite, but, I am only one out of many.

Archived