Solo cruiser--do you have to pay double occupancy rate?

We just booked two cabins on the Fascination--one for us and one for my parents. My Aunt has also decided she wants to go. Is there any way around her having to pay the double occupancy rate? The cruise does not show any upper/lowers available, so it appears the cheapest rate is an interior with a double occupancy rate. She is actually o.k. with paying this, but I thought I would check for any suggestions on here, because I know there are a lot of solo cruisers on the board.

Thanks everyone!

We just booked two cabins on the Fascination--one for us and one for my parents. My Aunt has also decided she wants to go. Is there any way around her having to pay the double occupancy rate? The cruise does not show any upper/lowers available, so it appears the cheapest rate is an interior with a double occupancy rate. She is actually o.k. with paying this, but I thought I would check for any suggestions on here, because I know there are a lot of solo cruisers on the board.

Thanks everyone!

Double rate and double deposit

Used to be a 150% rate on 1As, but thats been gone for a couple of years now. sad :(

Carnival (unlike other lines) ALWAYS charges 200%, no exceptions. They obviously want to discourage solo cruisers.

Next week i'm booking a Studio on Breakaway no huge surcharge 125 deposit with OBC VS 500 on CCL . My NCL Platinum perks are better than the Diamond on CCL

I always book solo and then add the 2nd person later on when I'm sure they'll actually be going. They do charge for 2 people, however, if you stay solo, you'll only pay for 1 persons taxes/fees. And obviously, if you don't have that 2nd person there, gratuities won't be charged for the 2nd person. It's true... no love for the solo traveler.

Good luck!

Next week i'm booking a Studio on Breakaway no huge surcharge 125 deposit with OBC VS 500 on CCL . My NCL Platinum perks are better than the Diamond on CCL

I looked at epic and they wanted $925 though for a solo cabin of 100 s.f..

So, you are paying about double to me already.

Quatum has some awesome solo balconys that I want BAD. They were all booked up for my date (which is the cheapest date, I guess no one wants those awful ports in dec 2014).

right now I have a virtual inside. If a solo balcony opens up later, I will ask about moving to it since it would actually be a cheaper cabin.

Since I have never been on NCL no perks for me.. so its not as good of a deal as quatums solo cabins. Quatum also has solo insides, but I want a balcony. I get free drinks on RCL but no perks on NCL since next year will be my first time on NCL.

The last time I got a good solo deal for 125% was with Holland America. Some people are getting great last minute deals but I wouldn't count on that if she wants to make sure she's able to book with the rest of the party.

I've been paying the 200% (not booking the premium and/or balcony cabins) just the price of doin' business! :cool:

Quatum has some awesome solo balconys that I want BAD. They were all booked up for my date (which is the cheapest date, I guess no one wants those awful ports in dec 2014).

right now I have a virtual inside. If a solo balcony opens up later, I will ask about moving to it since it would actually be a cheaper cabin.

Since I have never been on NCL no perks for me.. so its not as good of a deal as quatums solo cabins. Quatum also has solo insides, but I want a balcony. I get free drinks on RCL but no perks on NCL since next year will be my first time on NCL.

I looked at those solo epic cabins too and they didn't much appeal (being a baclony gal lol) I was sure I would feel pretty tight in those. I'll have to take a look at those Quantum balcony ones you are talking about :) Thanks for that info!

I looked at those solo epic cabins too and they didn't much appeal (being a baclony gal lol) I was sure I would feel pretty tight in those. I'll have to take a look at those Quantum balcony ones you are talking about :) Thanks for that info!

I think there are only 4 of those solo balconys which look like they are extra deep that people really rushed to book (per the deck plans).

By the time the public could book they were gonnnnnnnnnnnnne. If you were a C&A you could book a few days before the public booking opened, and my TA listed the cruise.

I AGREE with xostacylee,keep looking for a room with 3-4 occupancy,that way you could add her to your room,There are always cancellations leading up to cruise time,so this ould work great for you if..you can get a room:D

I AGREE with xostacylee,keep looking for a room with 3-4 occupancy,that way you could add her to your room,There are always cancellations leading up to cruise time,so this ould work great for you if..you can get a room:D

I dont think the OP wants to put 3 in their cabin. He seems to be under the impression that the upper and lowers cost less than 200%. I just reread his original post and nothing leads me to believe he wants to move to a triple

While getting a room for 3 could be cheaper than her paying for a double, remember, you'll be in a room with your spouse and your aunt.

Don't know your relationship or what you plan to do on the cruise, but that could be ...awkward.

Maybe she'll consider bringing a friend or another family member for her 2 person cabin?

Epic appeals to me primarily for a Transatlantic cruise (even with their somewhat inflated solo studio rate, isn't too bad). Not sure I would trade from Carnival for a basic week-long Caribbean on Epic, though.

You make a compelling case for Quantum solo balcony.

Epic appeals to me primarily for a Transatlantic cruise (even with their somewhat inflated solo studio rate, isn't too bad). Not sure I would trade from Carnival for a basic week-long Caribbean on Epic, though.

Im in a regular inside on Epic, but will volunteer to move to a solo cabin if they need my cabin as Im curious about them.

On quantum however, I would NOT give up my inside for a solo inside. The regular insides are virtual balconys with 42 inch tvs showing the ocean view, and the solo insides are just inside cabins, so I would not volunteer to move to one.

The solo insides and solo balconys they charge no solo supplement, but they do allow a 2nd pax to book them and be charged the 3rd pax rate.

There is a good reason the solo balconys were swept up before most of the sailings even were opened to the general public and the prices raised.. they first came out at awesome prices then went up the day they went public.

After CCL discontinued the 150% 1A cabins, I began to cruise other lines. I had been on maybe 15 CCL cruises, thought they were a good value. Then the cutbacks began. As soon as I started cruising other lines, I understood that I had been staying with an inferior mass product line and missing all the great things that other lines offer. I am actually happy that CCL increased their solo supplement as it forced me out of my cruise complacency and opened up new opportunities.

My next cruise is solo on Celebrity Summit, and at the time I booked, it was cheaper than a similar itinerary on the Valor.

We have an inside cabin for myself, husband, 3 year old and 5 year old so no room and she doesn't want to stay with my parents.

She has the money and is ok spending it but it just stinks to spend that much. I think the only way to get a better deal is see of the price drops. We are a little over three weeks out, so it might. But we already can't get a cabin super close to us, so that's concern about waiting too much longer.

I had a feeling there was no real solution.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have an inside cabin for myself, husband, 3 year old and 5 year old so no room and she doesn't want to stay with my parents.

She has the money and is ok spending it but it just stinks to spend that much. I think the only way to get a better deal is see of the price drops. We are a little over three weeks out, so it might. But we already can't get a cabin super close to us, so that's concern about waiting too much longer.

I had a feeling there was no real solution.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you planned this earlier, you could have put one of the kids in with this person and moved the kid to your cabin to sleep once you got on the cruise... saved yourself a 3/4th rate.

Yes but unlike some I've never have had to pay double deposit.

Always have to pay double deposit on Carnival now.

Celebrity and Royal often have 150% solo supplement, sometimes 125%.

MSC in October is 150% (and deposit only $100)

Always have to pay double deposit on Carnival now.

Celebrity and Royal often have 150% solo supplement, sometimes 125%.

MSC in October is 150% (and deposit only $100)

I stand corrected. I've not booked since this time last year. Appears about the time this went into effect.

Really you shouldnt worry about paying 200%. The question should be. How much are you willing to pay for a room? I did a lot of checking before I finally stumbled on a great deal on RCCL. I got a Promenade Room on FOS for a little more than a 1000. for a single. NCL and Carnival are the most expensive for solos. Unless you book one of the studio cabins on Epic,POA or the newer ships. RCCL Quantum has solo cabins too. But really they are considered Family Suites. I think. If you look at where they are placed. There are 3 rooms connected. One has a balcony, one is an inside, and the other one is a inside with less square footage.

Archived