Solo cruiser--do you have to pay double occupancy rate?

Sometimes it is hit or miss with solo discounts. I bumped into a special rate on RCCL Monarch once. The supplement was $8 more. Need I say, that rate was intact for less than one hour and it was gone. I jumped on it, needless to say. Right after booking, I went back to see if it was there, it was gone.

Not only do solo cruisers pay 200% they are paying double port charges since they are built into the fare. Other cruise lines at least back the port charges out. Then if you miss a port and get the port charges refunded to your on board account they only refund the port charges for one person. This happened to me on my March cruise. Bad enough solo cruisers are already paying for two port charges which Carnival gets to keep the money for one already, they get to keep that money yet again if you miss a port.

Unfortunately Carnival changed to double the cost for the solo traveler for the cabin. At least the taxes and gratuties remain for 1 person, at least for now, but that could change in the future.

I do like NCL's ships that have studio cabins for one. You don't pay the full price of two. The cabin is smaller, but since I only sleep and shower there, it's no big deal.

Used to be a 150% rate on 1As, but thats been gone for a couple of years now. sad :(

Carnival (unlike other lines) ALWAYS charges 200%, no exceptions. They obviously want to discourage solo cruisers.

On my solo Glory cruise back in June I was charged less than 200%. Rate was 199 a person but my room was 358. So they don't ALWAYS charge 200% but it does seem to be more typical than not.

Unfortunately Carnival changed to double the cost for the solo traveler for the cabin. At least the taxes and gratuties remain for 1 person, at least for now, but that could change in the future.

But the port charges that are imbedded in the cruise cost are for 2. This can easily be $150 pp or more for a 7 night cruise. A solo shouldn't have to pay it. Royal Caribbean for example doesn't

But the port charges that are imbedded in the cruise cost are for 2. This can easily be $150 pp or more for a 7 night cruise. A solo shouldn't have to pay it. Royal Caribbean for example doesn't

I'm missing something here I guess. Two people have commented on the port fees being embedded in Carnival's prices. Yet when you look at the explanation of taxes and fees that are added after the base fare...it clearly states these "after" taxes and fees include port charges. Both in the little explanation when you book and in their facts. So where does it say the base fare includes port charges?

I'm missing something here I guess. Two people have commented on the port fees being embedded in Carnival's prices. Yet when you look at the explanation of taxes and fees that are added after the base fare...it clearly states these "after" taxes and fees include port charges. Both in the little explanation when you book and in their facts. So where does it say the base fare includes port charges?

I think this is right. Port charges are separate, I think.

where does it say this?? I highly doubt it says this.. I think you read something and thats how you are interpreting what it says. It includes TAXES on the port fees .. not the port fees.

It says add on taxes and fees..nowhere does it say that I have seen (plus I know for sure its not true, they are called NCF and embedded).

If you would show what you are seeing, Im sure someone here can help you with your interpretation of it.

Port fees have been embedded since about 1995 when there was a class action in Florida and florida AG made them quit adding it on because port fees run about $50 or more per port and it was doubling the advertised price and considered false advertising.

Well because I was really thinking this was not correct info I just did a mock booking on both Carnival and RCL. I used: both 7 day cruises, same week, with approx the same itinerary...nassau, st thomas, but interchanged St Juan with St. Maarten. Plus Carnival had an extra port in Grand Turk. Carnival taxes and port fees...about $5 higher (guess thats for the extra port or the difference between porting at St Juan vs St. Maarten). Regardless, the taxes and fees are so similar that if Carnival embeds them in their base fare then I guess RCL is charging some pretty hefty taxes :rolleyes:

So no clue what people are referring to about Carnival's port fees being embedded and RCL's are not :confused:

I so agree. people booking carnival solo dont realize just how much extra they are paying. I remember back when Carnival used to subtract out the NCFs/port fees and then you would pay 150% on the remainder.. then they changed to not subtract it out.. hardly a whimper on here because so many people are uninformed that the port charges are embedded.

where does it say this?? I highly doubt it says this.. I think you read something and thats how you are interpreting what it says. It includes TAXES on the port fees .. not the port fees.

It says add on taxes and fees..nowhere does it say that I have seen (plus I know for sure its not true, they are called NCF and embedded).

If you would show what you are seeing, Im sure someone here can help you with your interpretation of it.

Port fees have been embedded since about 1995 when there was a class action in Florida and florida AG made them quit adding it on because port fees run about $50 or more per port and it was doubling the advertised price and considered false advertising.

It wont let me copy the little thing when it opens up. On a booking if you scroll to the little red question mark beside the gov't taxes and fees and read the list it includes port fees.

EDIT: Cruise Fare does not include Government Fees and Taxes. “Government Fees and Taxes” may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed by U.S. and/or foreign governmental or quasi-governmental authorities including, but not limited to, U.S. Customs fees, port fees, head taxes, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, pilotage, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, whether assessed on a per passenger, per berth, per ton or per vessel basis. In the case of per ton or per vessel assessments, those assessments will be spread over the passenger capacity of the ship. Government Fees and Taxes are subject to change and Carnival reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full.

Thats from the ticket contract

Ok, so this only applied to Carnival then and RCL doesn't have to embed their port fees?

Ok, so this only applied to Carnival then and RCL doesn't have to embed their port fees?

No, thats not what me or the other poster said at all. They said RCL subtracts them out (has nothing to do with if they are embedded or not). Every major cruise line has to embed them since 1995 is what I did say. They are referred to as Non commisionable fare because that part of the fare TAs do not get paid commission on. port fees run say around $157 per person on a 7 day caribbean cruise.

Carnival also used to subtract NCFs out until 3 or 4 years ago for solo cruisers, now they rip them off and most dont even know it.

Ok, fair enough

I guess the port fees they are referring to in their contract then are different port fees. :) That they say are not included in their base fare. It would be no wonder then that the consumer wouldn't know this if its presented as not being included.

If you planned this earlier, you could have put one of the kids in with this person and moved the kid to your cabin to sleep once you got on the cruise... saved yourself a 3/4th rate.

I understood that if one of the kids was booked with the aunt, the parents and 1 child would then be moved to a 3-sleeper cabin (if there was one available)....that's what I was told by Carnival PVP when I tried this,....so maybe no bed for the 2nd child to sleep with the parents after boarding. However it would save money if the aunt was willing to share her cabin with the child. :)

I understood that if one of the kids was booked with the aunt, the parents and 1 child would then be moved to a 3-sleeper cabin (if there was one available)....that's what I was told by Carnival PVP when I tried this,....so maybe no bed for the 2nd child to sleep with the parents after boarding. However it would save money if the aunt was willing to share her cabin with the child. :)

I don't think they should take the chance of being moved, even though they likely won't have to. If they move the child, yes, it will reduce the aunt's cost, but it will cost the parents to change their current rate as well as cost more because there would be no 3/4 passenger discount.

Ok, I now get what you are saying. If I do a mock booking on RCL for 2 pax vs 1 pax the fare comes out to being approximately 180 less. So those are apparently the "port fees". I understand.

However, what I find quite disingenuous on the part of both lines is they both state in their tciket contracts that the base fare does not include the fees. Carnival is very specific in stating it does not include port fees, RCL does not specifically use the words port fees but says this:

nor does it include government or quasi-governmental taxes and fees, whether assessed on a per passenger, per vessel, per berth or per ton basis, nor any fuel surcharges, security surcharges or similar assessments made by airlines, trains, buses, hotels or other third parties which are subject to change and are due and payable by Passenger upon request.

So, as I stated, I think its quite unclear to a pax that the port fees are embedded and in the case of Carnival, not being backed out before the single supplement is added. In the case of RCL, one could simply make the erroneous assumption it is not a full 100% supplement and that there is some "rate reduction" being offered; not knowing its the port fees that aren't being charged twice.

Carnival on the other hand....well....what can I say, if they are charging two port fees, they should be clear and tell me. I don't find myself lacking in comprehension or reading skills usually, and I'm pretty certain your average consumer reads the expalantions and would tend to believe as well that the port fees are added after the fact, as per their explanations.

Neither states the base fare includes port fees.

So, I should believe you and your knowledge and explanation over what their own ticket contracts say? I will defer to your knowledge. :) But that doesn't mean that most will. based on the lousy/sneaky (perhaps even misleading) explanations on the cruiselines part.

We just booked two cabins on the Fascination--one for us and one for my parents. My Aunt has also decided she wants to go. Is there any way around her having to pay the double occupancy rate? The cruise does not show any upper/lowers available, so it appears the cheapest rate is an interior with a double occupancy rate. She is actually o.k. with paying this, but I thought I would check for any suggestions on here, because I know there are a lot of solo cruisers on the board.

Thanks everyone!

Double, same with NCL. Princess and Royal Caribbean are a little more friendly.

Ok, I now get what you are saying. If I do a mock booking on RCL for 2 pax vs 1 pax the fare comes out to being approximately 180 less. So those are apparently the "port fees". I understand.

However, what I find quite disingenuous on the part of both lines is they both state in their tciket contracts that the base fare does not include the fees. Carnival is very specific in stating it does not include port fees, RCL does not specifically use the words port fees but says this:

nor does it include government or quasi-governmental taxes and fees, whether assessed on a per passenger, per vessel, per berth or per ton basis, nor any fuel surcharges, security surcharges or similar assessments made by airlines, trains, buses, hotels or other third parties which are subject to change and are due and payable by Passenger upon request.

So, as I stated, I think its quite unclear to a pax that the port fees are embedded and in the case of Carnival, not being backed out before the single supplement is added. In the case of RCL, one could simply make the erroneous assumption it is not a full 100% supplement and that there is some "rate reduction" being offered; not knowing its the port fees that aren't being charged twice.

Carnival on the other hand....well....what can I say, if they are charging two port fees, they should be clear and tell me. I don't find myself lacking in comprehension or reading skills usually, and I'm pretty certain your average consumer reads the expalantions and would tend to believe as well that the port fees are added after the fact, as per their explanations.

Neither states the base fare includes port fees.

So, I should believe you and your knowledge and explanation over what their own ticket contracts say? I will defer to your knowledge. :) But that doesn't mean that most will. based on the lousy/sneaky (perhaps even misleading) explanations on the cruiselines part.

You still have not quoted me what you are reading where it says the word "port fees".

I have missed ports and you get a letter written in legal mumbo jumbo where there word port fees is in there.. but its TAXES on the port fees is what my PVP says its say... it is pretty hard to read. (the FAQs state you get taxes back on port fees and some jump to the conclusion it says you get port fees back and go running around saying they got port fees back, when that is not what it really says.. I think they write it that way on purpose to confuse people).

So until you quote me where you see the word port fees, hard to tell you where you are going wrong.

It wont let me copy the little thing when it opens up. On a booking if you scroll to the little red question mark beside the gov't taxes and fees and read the list it includes port fees.

EDIT: Cruise Fare does not include Government Fees and Taxes. “Government Fees and Taxes” may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed by U.S. and/or foreign governmental or quasi-governmental authorities including, but not limited to, U.S. Customs fees, port fees, head taxes, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, pilotage, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, whether assessed on a per passenger, per berth, per ton or per vessel basis. In the case of per ton or per vessel assessments, those assessments will be spread over the passenger capacity of the ship. Government Fees and Taxes are subject to change and Carnival reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full.

Thats from the ticket contract

OK, it says the govt fees and taxes may (or may not) include port fees.

What the add on taxes and fees do includes as I understand it is taxes on the port fees. .. which is what you get back when you miss a port.

Yes, there are actual taxes on the port fees .. so the add on may or may not include SOME port fees .. ambiguous at best as you said.

But TAs know they do not get paid on the base port fees which are embedded.

And so I learned something today :) Thank you.

But yes, I think the average consumer, not knowing how TA's get paid, or what the ins and outs are....would read that and think...port fees are not included in the base fare and are added after the fact. (maybe! :D )

When I have booked solo, I've checked fares on CCL, RCL and NCL and everytime CCL still comes out much cheaper even at 200%. I think in the end it all depends on how much you want to pay for your total fare. The other lines may offer 125% and 150% but it their base fares are higher, then CCL at 200% still comes out cheaper.

Archived