cabin advice on the Dawn

glm7777

I am a first time cruiser and am looking to book on the Dawn going to Bermuda. I have decided on a balcony cabin. But I am ignorant about what deck to choose and what side of the ship would be the best view as we dock into Bermuda. I am not at all familiar with the nautical terms LOL! I understand this - standing at the back of the boat looking forward - you have the right side and the left side. That is the extent of my knowledge! I want a quiet cabin - friends who cruised on a different ship had a miserable time since their cabin was directly under the disco!!

I'd appreciate any advice - I'd like to book ASAP.

I am a first time cruiser and am looking to book on the Dawn going to Bermuda. I have decided on a balcony cabin. But I am ignorant about what deck to choose and what side of the ship would be the best view as we dock into Bermuda. I am not at all familiar with the nautical terms LOL! I understand this - standing at the back of the boat looking forward - you have the right side and the left side. That is the extent of my knowledge! I want a quiet cabin - friends who cruised on a different ship had a miserable time since their cabin was directly under the disco!!

The ship alternates when in Bermuda so you never know. Last year it faced out to sea roughly 2/3 of the time. This year has been a bit different since it docked at the other dock a couple times I believe when they were working on the normal dock.

Decks 9 or 10 are generally decent, just look what is above you or below you.

The ship may dock either port or starboard in Bermuda. So it doesn't matter whether your balcony is portside(left) or starboard(right)

Port - Left (both have four letters)

Starboard - Right

Front to back is easier - Forward, Midship, Aft (think pain-in-the-aft).

Check deck plans and make sure your cabin isn't under a noisy location such as the gym or day care.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/dawn/decks/2/8#tab_detail

Avoid guarantee GTY cabins unless you intentionally accept the risk that you will be put under a noisy location.

Call your Personal Cruise Consultant or Travel Agent for advice. It's their job and what they're paid to do.

Thank you for the nautical term lesson - very easy to remember them the way you explained it! I think I will be calling my travel agent - the info on this board is overwhelming me!

Thanks again!

Thank you for the nautical term lesson - very easy to remember them the way you explained it! I think I will be calling my travel agent - the info on this board is overwhelming me!

Thanks again!

Mid-ship is best if you are prone to sea sickness. The aft-facing (back of the ship - faces out) balcony cabins have the best views, but you will definitely feel the movement of the ship more. Other than that, make sure that there are cabins on the deck above you and below you to avoid noise.

when you look at a ship's deck plan and locate your intended cabin, also look at the plan for the deck above and below.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com has a tool they call "drag it decks"

here is the direct link to their page for the NCL dawn....to best line up the decks correctly, get the elevators (boxes with an X) lined up.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Dawn

you will see that deck 8 aft is over the spinnaker lounge (the disco).

when you look at a ship's deck plan and locate your intended cabin, also look at the plan for the deck above and below.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com has a tool they call "drag it decks"

here is the direct link to their page for the NCL dawn....to best line up the decks correctly, get the elevators (boxes with an X) lined up.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Dawn

Hey neat! Thanks for that site. Bookmarked! :)

Just got back today from a cruise on the Dawn. We did the spa pool package and had port side/frontof the ship and it was a pain! It was walk and a half to get to the spa and buffett area! Floor nine was fine just should have looked at the floor layout before booking and booked under in the back of the ship.

Every time I've been on the Dawn to Bermuda the ship docked with "aft" facing the Dockyards. I would recommend deck 10, mid-ship, aft. We were on starboard last time and faced the harbor, nice but I like to see the comings and goings on the dockside. Book a cabin with a cabin across the hall from you. I found on my last cruise the floor plan showed a "blank" spot across from us and it turned out to be where employees worked from to get their supplies to clean rooms. They started to work at 6AM and woke us up with the noise and their loud conversations. That was cabin #10118. I'm booked in #10632 next time and I've had that cabin before and it was quiet.

We just got back from the Dawn yesterday. We had a balcony cabin port side, deck nine midship. It was perfect. We were near the elevators and stairs. It was very quiet. We were on the Bermuda side when the ship was docked. We will definitely go with Deck 9 next time.

Oh No, I just realized that our cabin is deck 8 aft. Right over the spinnaker lounge. What was I thinking?

Has anyone here had one of these cabins? Is it really bad? Now I am a little worried.

Oh No, I just realized that our cabin is deck 8 aft. Right over the spinnaker lounge. What was I thinking?

Has anyone here had one of these cabins? Is it really bad? Now I am a little worried.

Unfortunately, you'll find many reports/complaiints on this board about noise and vibrations from the Spinnaker lounge affecting those in the deck 8 aft cabins until the wee hours of the morning.

We had balcony cabin 10678 and it was very quiet. Never heard a think. It was a great location, close enough to the elevator and two floors up to the pool and a few floors down to the main dining room. As long as you have cabins above and below, you should be fine.

Have fun!

Mid ship and lower is best for motion.

As said, make sure YOU know what is above you, not what any agent might tell you.

As to being a long walk... I often chuckle at that. The more walking, the better. We sometimes do laps around one of the decks and go past all the cabins. We almost always take the stairs, even from the lowest level when returning.

We eat and drink plenty. The exercise is a must.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked room 10692 which is on the port side toward the back a BB category. We decided we wanted to be close to the spa (there stairs are right there) so we could get the spa pass and enjoy the quiet! Hoping this cabin isn't too far away from everything else though LOL!

We are in 10210 on the starboard side of deck 10. I am hoping someone can tell me whether or not we made a good choice. The deck plans almost look like there is a sideways hallway close to the cabin and that has me concerned about early morning noise. Anyone know?

When it comes to docking in Bermuda.....is there a bad side?? I don't think so...you will either have a view of Kings Wharf and all it's activities....or a beautiful view looking over the water at the island....either one is great...

I always look at the decks above and below before selecting a cabin....being above or below the night club or the buffet is probably not a good idea....on our last voyage, we chose a mini-suite under the Italian restaurant...never heard a single noise....that restaurant is only busy at dinner time and pretty much empty the rest of the day...

I always book port side deck 10 aft. I like to be near the stairs and elevators. Aft is very convenient to buffet, main dining rooms, pool and star bar.

That's pretty much where we are - deck 10 rm 10692 right near the stairs that go up to the spa!

Archived