META upgrade question...

loliola

Thanks again Pam. Other posters were giving me different information, saying that Meta upgrade on Royal or Regal could be from obstructed balcony to unobstructed balcony, in which case I would keep my current "No upgrade". Your information is always invaluable and accurate! I will call and request "Meta upgrade only".

An obstructed to unobstructed cabin or balcony upgrade would be a category upgrade. The difference is the first letter of the cabin category. Every balcony category starts with a "B" so a category upgrade would be something like a BE to a BB. A Meta upgrade from a balcony would be the first letter from a "B" to an "M" for a mini-suite.

I never even realized there was such a thing as an obstructed balcony... Is that a new thing, perhaps on the Royal? What obstructs the balcony??

a) Panel between balcony and the sea is metal instead of see-through glass.

or

b) A metal beam blocks part of the balcony

or

c) On the Royal and Regal, a lifeboat blocks much of the downward view

on the Royal, an upgrade can be from a balcony to a deluxe balcony obstructed by a lifeboat. Not a good trade in my opinion.

We are not talking about the regular upgrade, the post is about META upgrades. Different animal; read Pam's explanation above.

An obstructed to unobstructed cabin or balcony upgrade would be a category upgrade. The difference is the first letter of the cabin category. Every balcony category starts with a "B" so a category upgrade would be something like a BE to a BB. A Meta upgrade from a balcony would be the first letter from a "B" to an "M" for a mini-suite.

Another question... Could that be a mini suite without balcony?

We are not talking about the regular upgrade, the post is about META upgrades. Different animal; read Pam's explanation above.
On the Royal, there is a cabin type called "Deluxe Balcony" and the category starts with the letter "D." It would be a Meta upgrade from a standard balcony. The Royal (and the Regal) are the only ships with this type of cabin.

Another question... Could that be a mini suite without balcony?
Yes. If it's an "M" cabin type, i.e., a mini-suite, whether or not it has a balcony, it would be a Meta upgrade from any balcony cabin. Same for an upgrade from a mini-suite to a window suite. That would also be a Meta upgrade.

As they say, be careful what you wish for. :)

On the balcony rooms, what is the difference between a BE and a BB? We were upgraded to a BB. Is a BE better than a BB?
Location, location, location. And, location depends on personal preferences. It's perceived that the higher the deck, the better the location. It's also perceived that the more mid-ship, the better the location. I much prefer towards the aft and I rarely book any cabin above Caribe. That's my preference. For me, it's not just about saving money but that's really where I'd rather be. You can be in a BB on Aloha deck or in a BB on Caribe deck. The Aloha deck is perceived as a better location but knowledgeable people would prefer the much larger balcony that's half-covered/half-uncovered on Caribe.

If you've been upgraded to a BB, you can ask your TA to move you to any cabin available that's a BB or lower category in a location you prefer.

On the Royal, there is a cabin type called "Deluxe Balcony" and the category starts with the letter "D." It would be a Meta upgrade from a standard balcony. The Royal (and the Regal) are the only ships with this type of cabin.

Yes. If it's an "M" cabin type, i.e., a mini-suite, whether or not it has a balcony, it would be a Meta upgrade from any balcony cabin. Same for an upgrade from a mini-suite to a window suite. That would also be a Meta upgrade.

Pam, the knowledge you impart is invaluable. Thank you for sharing with us less experienced cruisers so we may benefit from your experience!

If it's an "M" cabin type, i.e., a mini-suite, whether or not it has a balcony, it would be a Meta upgrade from any balcony cabin. Same for an upgrade from a mini-suite to a window suite. That would also be a Meta upgrade.

On the ships with window suites, nobody has ever posted having been given a free upgrade from a balcony cabin to a window suite.

I suspect the same will be true in that nobody would be involuntarily upgraded from a cabin with a balcony to one without a balcony, even to a mini-suite without a balcony.

Ok...calling them back and changing back to "No Upgrade"....

This is such a wonderful place for gathering information. Like Pam, I prefer the aft area on a lower deck and I usually, although not always, purchase an unobstructed, obstructed ocean view cabin. A "regular" upgrade for me could actually result in me receiving a cabin with a fully obstructed view mid-ship. No thanks!

Thankfully I learned on this board about a META upgrade. Now I'm pretty sure we won't get one and I'm okay with that, I just didn't want to end up with something I don't consider an upgrade.

Happy cruising!

Judy

Archived