Am I Crazy??? (packingquestion)

guittech

Hey Everyone, i was looking at some old threads of what guys were packing for their cruises, and I am thinking i must be in the minority....

DW is taking a big suitcase and a carry-on, I am trying to pack a carryon and a light backpack!!!

It's a six night, and YES, I PLAN TO DO SOME LAUNDRY ABOARD...

But i was thinking like

1 or 2 pairs of dockers,

2 pairs of dress shorts

2-3 short sleeve collared shirts

1-2 t-shirts,

A hawain shirt, socks and underwear. I am probably not doing formal night,unless i bring a tie... Lol

Not that i want to dress like a schlub ( i wear jeans/t-shirts exclusively for work, cruisewear is a big step up lol!). But the thought of dragging a garment bag or giant suitcase, so i can bring some more "formal" attire. On an international flight seems INSANE! I might pack a hoody in case of bad weather.... I look at that list and figure i am overpacking! If i could go and just bring a backpack, and do laundry twice? I WOULD BE SOOOO IN!

Hey Everyone, i was looking at some old threads of what guys were packing for their cruises, and I am thinking i must be in the minority....

DW is taking a big suitcase and a carry-on, I am trying to pack a carryon and a light backpack!!!

It's a six night, and YES, I PLAN TO DO SOME LAUNDRY ABOARD...

But i was thinking like

1 or 2 pairs of dockers,

2 pairs of dress shorts

2-3 short sleeve collared shirts

1-2 t-shirts,

A hawain shirt, socks and underwear. I am probably not doing formal night,unless i bring a tie... Lol

Not that i want to dress like a schlub ( i wear jeans/t-shirts exclusively for work, cruisewear is a big step up lol!). But the thought of dragging a garment bag or giant suitcase, so i can bring some more "formal" attire. On an international flight seems INSANE! I might pack a hoody in case of bad weather.... I look at that list and figure i am overpacking! If i could go and just bring a backpack, and do laundry twice? I WOULD BE SOOOO IN!

No swim suit? :confused:

lol, i figured a swimsuit was a given :) and i didn't mention shoes...

1- swimsuit, 1 pair of sneakes, 1 pair of sandals or crocs or something (Mine are BRIGHT yellow)

As to doing laundry or not, personally, putting a load in the washer, or getting a bag or 2 of laundry done may suck, but paying $100 ($50 per direction) for us to check a second bag is insane. (The first one is already $70)

As to doing laundry or not, personally, putting a load in the washer, or getting a bag or 2 of laundry done may suck, but paying $100 ($50 per direction) for us to check a second bag is insane. (The first one is already $70)

Doing laundry under those circumstances, I see your point. ;)

My wife, daughter and I always bring two pieces, a small duffle or backpack and a beach bag or large purse. We refuse to pay airlines for luggage, hate handing things over to porters etc. We carry are own onto the plane and store overhead, then carry are own until we get to our rooms. ( I sit in a sports lounge, pop open my carry on wine and watch football and the 5-6 bags while the girls explore the ship until our rooms open (We don't do boarding lunch).

In fact, we have never had to do laundry even on a 7 day? Shirts and shorts can be worn more than once, it's not like your doing heavy labor and sweating in your clothes like you're working?

I will add that we don't do formal ( we don't even use the MDR anymore). Not doing elegant saves a lot of room.

My packing list is similar to yours when I gave my wife the run down of what I was packing next cruise she laughed and said "you know I am not doing that right". I do plan on a sport jacket and tie that go with my dockers and work out cloths in addition to what you are listing. Our daughter and son-in-law are going on their first cruise with us both are cloths hounds it should be fun to see what they show up with.:)

I usually use a carry on and a back pack for up to a 7 night cruise on Carnival because I don't take a suit or sport coat. My back pack just has a couple books, my computer and camera.

I wear bulky clothes to the ship--long pants (dockers) and sneaks and then pack things like shorts, boat shoes and sandals that take up less room. I never do laundry and most times don't use the free wash and fold. A suit or sport coat would require a pair of dress shoes so I save a lot of packing space when I don't plan on doing anything fancy for elegant night.

I pack one pair of UW and one t-shirt for each day. We work out first thing every morning so I do work up a good sweat but, I wear the t-shirt and UW from the previous day to work out. Then a fresh set after a shower. That becomes my work out set for the next morning.

I pack two pair of long pants, so, with the pair I wear to the ship, I have 3 pair of slacks. And, I plan on wearing each collared shirt twice because I just wear them in the evening. For a 7 night cruise I may pack 4 or 5 collared shirts with one of them my travel home shirt.

I only pack a swim suit if the grand daughter goes with us.

For packing tips, check you tube dot com and search for packing in a carry on. From that I learned how to pack a suit in a carry on for a trip to NY and it worked! I may try this when I cruise Celebrity because I do take a suit or tux then.

Well, at the risk of sounding "sexist", I do think women tend to over pack more so than men, at least based on what I've experienced in our family. We guys don't need six or more pairs of shoes, enough make-up to supply a beauty shop, a different "cute" outfit for each day (ever heard of mix & match?), plus a bunch of "just in case" stuff. I swear, every time we pack to go somewhere, I'm thinking the airlines will have to rent a U-Haul trailer to hook on the back of the plane just for our daughter's stuff!:D

Archived