Purchasing Alcohol to take on

PopsiB

I understand that any alcohol taken on board at embarkation or at ports of call will be removed and returned at the end of your cruise.

Is the only way to get a drink in bars or via Room Service? We usually cruise with P&O and take bottles to drink in our cabin.

We aren't big drinkers but like to have one before dinner while getting ready.

I also cannot find any mention of tea or coffee facilities in the cabin, is this also only done via Room Service.

We have never cruised from the States before so wanted to check from experienced HAL. Cruisers.

Many Thanks

June

There are no coffee or tea pots in the cabins on any HAL ships.

The Lido has coffee and tea 24/7. And of course you can order coffee and tea 24/7.

You are right -- you can not take alcohol onto HAL ships.

You can take as much wine, champagne, sodas and bottled water as you want onto the ships.

You can pre-order alcohol for your cabin. We always order a couple of bottles for our cabin. Mark it as "Deliver at Sea" if you are cruising out of Florida -- to avoid paying their state tax. The bottle(s) will be in your cabin when you get on the ship.

SPIRITS -- 1 Liter bottles -- prices below include the 15% gratuity

Cutty Sark -- $33.35

Kahlua -- $39.10

Vodka: Belvedere -- $72.45

Vodka: Tanqueray Sterling -- $36.80

Cognac: Remy Martin VSOP -- $102.35

Cognac: Remy Martin XO -- $228.85

Whiskey - Irish: Jameson --$44.85

Cognac: Hennessy VS -- $96.60

Tequila: Jose Quervo Gold -- $35.65

Sherry: Harvey's Medium --$59.80

Sherry: Tio Pepe --$59.80

Vodka: Stolichnaya --$31.05

Vodka: Skyy --$29.90

Vodka: Absolut --$33.35

Vodka: Chopin -- $72.45

Vodka: Grey Goose -- $71.30

Vodka: Finlandia -- $31.05

Vodka: Smirnoff -- $28.75

Rum: Bacardi White -- $36.80

Rum: Bacardi Gold -- $35.65

Liqueurs: Tia Maria --$52.90

Liqueurs: Southern Comfort --$39.10

Liqueurs: Sambuca -Opal Negro -- $47.15

Liqueurs: Grand Marnier -- $79.35

Liqueurs: Drambuie -- $63.25

Liqueurs: Cointreau -- $58.65

Liqueurs: Baileys Irish Cream -- $48.30

Liqueurs: Amaretto -- $54.05

Gin: Bombay Sapphire -- $44.85

Gin: Tanqueray -- $43.70

Gin: Beefeater -- $33.35

Whiskey: Seagrams V.O. -- $31.05

Whiskey: Seagrams 7 --$31.05

Whiskey: Canadian Club -- $33.35

Whiskey: Crown Royal --$44.85

Bourbon: Jim Beam -- $35.65

Scotch: J. Walker Black Label --$79.35

Scotch: J. Walker Red Label -- $37.95

Scotch: Dewar's White Label --$50.60

Scotch: J&B Rare -- $37.95

Scotch: Ballentines -- $41.40

Scotch: Chivas Regal - 12 Y.O. -- $67.85

Rum: Myers -- $33.35

BEER

Miller Genuine Draft domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Bud Light domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Budweiser domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Corona imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Amstel Light imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Heineken imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Miller Lite domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

WINE PACKAGES

Navigator's Wine Package: 3-Bottle -- $102.35

Navigator's Wine Package: 5-Bottle -- $171.35

Admiral's Wine Package: 3-Bottle -- $135.70

Admiral's Wine Package: 5-Bottle -- $228.85

Cellar Master Package, Single, 11+ Days -- $259.00

Cellar Master Package, Double, 11+ Days -- $323.00

WINE AND CHAMPAGNES

Mumm, Cordon Rouge, Brut, France -- $74.64

Cuvee Dom Perignon, Brut, France -- $251.74

White Zinfandel, Beringer, CA -- $36.69

Zonin Moscato -- $36.25

Grant Burge Benchmark Shiraz -- $36.25

Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec -- $36.25

Merlot, Northstar, Walla Walla, WA -- $112.59

Bon Voyage Red Wine -- $24.04

Bon Voyage White Wine -- $24.04

Rudi Sodamin Chef's Selection Chardonnay -- $36.69

Rudi Sodamin Chef's Selection Cabernet Sauvignon --$36.69

Rosemount Estate Shiraz -- $49.34

Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon -- $99.94

Cline Cellars Zinfandel -- $44.28

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough -- $56.93

Ruffino Pinot Grigio -- $49.34

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot -- $46.81

Beringer Founder's Estate Cabernet -- $49.34

Veuve Cliquot, Yellow Label -- $112.59

Ferrari-Carano Alexander Valley Chardonnay -- $87.29

It's not necessary to pre-order liquor for your cabin unless you want to. You can always purchase it, or purchase more of it ;), once on board. Just call room service and ask.

Many Thanks for your replies, I much appreciate all the information and prices.

We will look into prices at the port, and Fort Lauderdale compared to Duty Free in Heathrow terminal. It's usually Champagne that we have for balcony use especially on formal nights.

Thanks again for your help.

June

Champagne -- you can buy as many bottles as you want and take it onto the ship.

In Ft Lauderdale there is the Total Wine store and the Publix grocery store where many people buy wine and champagne to take onto the ship.

Pack in your regular luggage a corkscrew.

If there aren't any champagne glasses in your cabin -- just ask your cabin steward for a couple.

Also when you want your champagne iced down -- ask you cabin steward and he will bring a wine bucket for you with ice.

We will look into prices at the port, and Fort Lauderdale compared to Duty Free in Heathrow terminal. It's usually Champagne that we have for balcony use especially on formal nights.

You're welcome.

Champagne, and any other sparkling wine, may be brought aboard in unlimited quantities (at least as of now, it can).

Do check out the prices at Total Wine. Many posts on this board have sung their praises as to the selection, and service. You can order in advance, and your purchase will be put up in such a way that makes it safe to bring aboard without fear of bottles breaking.

I just read somewhere that thete is a corkage fee of $18.00. When I get to a computer I'll see if I can find the link.

Yes, there is a corkage fee of $18 per bottle, but only for those bottles of wine/sparkling wine that are brought to the dining room or a lounge. There is no fee for those bottles consumed in your cabin.

Some cruise lines charge for that, too! :eek:

It's not necessary to pre-order liquor for your cabin unless you want to. You can always purchase it, or purchase more of it ;), once on board. Just call room service and ask.

Ruth, I have found in the past that room service doesn't work for liquor on embarkation day. They just let the phone ring and ring. I have to go to Crow's Nest or Ocean Bar for my bottle of rum. Now I pre-order or don't bother at all.

Many Thanks to you all.

Just been on Total Wine site, WOW. So much choice in there, prices much more akin to here in UK. Will there be any tax to be added to their prices?

Overwhelmed to get so many replies. Thank you everyone

Ruth, I have found in the past that room service doesn't work for liquor on embarkation day. They just let the phone ring and ring. I have to go to Crow's Nest or Ocean Bar for my bottle of rum. Now I pre-order or don't bother at all.

Good to know; I've never tried to order from room service on embarkation day. But it is still correct that it's not necessary to pre-order, since you can get a bottle elsewhere on embarkation day, and you can order from room service on the other days.

Many Thanks to you all.

Just been on Total Wine site, WOW. So much choice in there, prices much more akin to here in UK. Will there be any tax to be added to their prices?

There will be tax, its worth it and u can take as much as u want. Pre-order some liquor and have a great time.

Just a little insight I called HAL and inquired about a brand that wasn't on there list to preorder. They said they do carry it onboard and I can get it through room service when I get on board. So there may be other kinds that you can get besides the ones listed.

Just a little insight I called HAL and inquired about a brand that wasn't on there list to preorder. They said they do carry it onboard and I can get it through room service when I get on board. So there may be other kinds that you can get besides the ones listed.

And if you wan't it pre delivered to you cabin, you can pre order it. Very reasonable pricing.

You are right -- embarkation day -- they do not have the time to take care of room service orders until after dinner.

And we have been on ships where the bars would not take any orders during the cruise.

One example was when we were on the Noordam and a Neptune Suite couple wanted to order a bottle of vodka for their cabin. We were sitting with them in the Ocean Bar. The bar tender told them that he could fill their order -- they had to place it through room service.

Many Thanks to you all.

Yes -- all alcohol in Florida is subject to a sales tax.

Ft Lauderdale I think is 7%.

We have friends who like certain brands and HAL has gotten it for them for their cabin -- and it was there when they got on the ship.

BEER

Miller Genuine Draft domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Bud Light domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Budweiser domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Corona imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Amstel Light imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Heineken imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Miller Lite domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

WOW, those are some pricey beers. I pre-ordered my rum, but didn't think about beer until now...think I will pass.

If you pre order, it should be waiting in your cabin when you arrive.

Only 1 time did we have a problem getting the alcohol we had pre-ordered.

The concierge had to make a copy of our receipt as there was no record of our purchase.

We finally got the bottles the next day.

Did not make us happy as we usually have a cocktail out on the verandah as we sail out of port -- if the ship leaves on time.

Archived