Former RCCL employee cruises the Breakaway!

freddy07043

Adding my thanks for an excellent review.

Separately, to the poster above who asked if ROA was the only free show in the theater,the answer is no.

Burn the Floor also performs in the theater, as does the magician/comedian.

Stephen

Thanks so much for your review. It's always nice to hear comparisions. I haven't sailed with RCL since the 80's, but it is definitely on my "to-do" list. I want to experience the Oasis or Allure. Either one, I'm not picky. ;) :p

Getting the perspective of someone that has been in the business is very interesting and a delight to read. :)

Thanks! =)

As far as the Oasis and Allure~ they are both great ships and they do have a lot to offer. If you have young kids (I'm assuming from the cute picture of the little girl in your profile), I think Allure would be a good choice since the Dreamworks experience is more expanded on the ship then Oasis. On the Allure, along with the dive show "Oceanaria" and the ice skating show "Ice Games", the casts does a second show with the Dreamworks family. There is the "How to train your dragon" ice show and the Madagascar dive show. Each of these shows are great for kids and BIG kids. =) You will also have 3-D movies shown in the theater which is pretty cool. Whichever one you choose, I hope you have a great time! =) Happy Sailing!

Please allow me to add my thanks for a great, well balanced, review. I appreciate your unique point of view too.

And finally, thanks for the info on the difference between the Allure and the Oasis as they are on my bucket list of ships too:D

Thank you for taking the time to post a well thought out review. The one thing I have to agree with 100% is that RCL and NCL are more similar then different. So similar that last summer I did my first RCL cruise in years and the CD was on one of my NCL Dawn cruises a few years before. Same jokes :D

To my knowledge and was told by the waiter, it was served on the 1st night. We missed it because we opted to go to La Cucina for dinner instead. I wish we had eaten in the MDR since La Cucina was just ok. I love lobster!! On RCL it is served later on in the cruise, usually on the second formal night. I guess we missed out...shucks!next time! lol!

Was there Lobster in any of the Main Dining Rooms at all throughout the cruise?

Lobster night is always the first cruise night...the day you board, not the first full sea day.

To my knowledge and was told by the waiter, it was served on the 1st night. We missed it because we opted to go to La Cucina for dinner instead. I wish we had eaten in the MDR since La Cucina was just ok. I love lobster!! On RCL it is served later on in the cruise, usually on the second formal night. I guess we missed out...shucks!next time! lol!

Don't feel bad, I missed out on Lobster night my first 4 or so cruises because I just couldn't get the night right. LOL :p

Thanks for an honest and balanced review. My last cruise was on RCL FOS January 2013 and we loved it! Even though a mega ship, it never felt crowded, so the reviews for this one are a little scary, but I prefer the Bremuda itinerary for Breakaway the best. I also do not like the smaller ships anymore, having sailed VOS and FOS. For us, is hard to go back to a smaller ship. Thanks again!!

debbie

I Do not put much cred with this poster, he has only few a few posts on cc :D

LOL! :p From looking at other posts on all cruiseline boards (RCL,NCL, Celebrity, HAL,etc), having few posts is a big no no! haha! But I guess you have to start somewhere.. I think I'm up to number 20!!! Yay for me!!

Thanks for the great review. I have been on Navigator and Freedom as well as Epic but would LOVE to go on Allure someday soon. Thank you for the info about Dreamworks, my boys loved it on FOS.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I also liked your review, especially coming from a former crew member. I think that makes your insight into the customer service aspect extremely valuable.

We have not been on any NCL ships larger than the Jewel class, but always found the staff to be very, very friendly. On the Star a year ago the cabin stewards all would smile and acknowledge you, as would all the wait staff in the buffet and smaller restaurants. The dining room, with our party of 7, was slow, but the staff was very nice. That's been the norm for us with NCL, so it is surprising to see reviews where service is not given top grades!

I also liked your review, especially coming from a former crew member. I think that makes your insight into the customer service aspect extremely valuable.

We have not been on any NCL ships larger than the Jewel class, but always found the staff to be very, very friendly. On the Star a year ago the cabin stewards all would smile and acknowledge you, as would all the wait staff in the buffet and smaller restaurants. The dining room, with our party of 7, was slow, but the staff was very nice. That's been the norm for us with NCL, so it is surprising to see reviews where service is not given top grades!

I'm glad you enjoyed reading my review!

I think the size of the ship had something to do with the service in the MDR on the Breakaway. Since there are more passengers then on the Jewel class, maybe our waiters had more tables to cover at one time and couldn't really provide the service expected. The service was fantastic at the specialty restaurants. The waiters were very attentive and friendly. I think it's because they had less tables to serve and had the time to see how our day was going or if we needed anything extra from the kitchen.

From looking at the gross tonnage of the NCL Jewel Class ships, it is similar to the size of RCL's Radiance class which are also known for their service. I guess this is why some people prefer small and medium sized ships over the mega ships.

I had friends in the wait staff on RCL and let me tell you, that job is not easy at all. Behind the scenes, it is a circus and very fast paced. I give them credit because they work so hard and they are also expected to give that personalized service to their guests.

Don't feel bad, I missed out on Lobster night my first 4 or so cruises because I just couldn't get the night right. LOL :p

LOL I will keep my eye open EVERY night to see when it's lobster night on a future NCL cruise, whenever I get vacation time! I got offered a job and I only get 10 days of vacation! =( I'm so used to doing my 5-6 month contract and then having 2 months off for vacation! Sometimes I wonder if the "real world land job" is all it is cut out to be! :p

[quote name='freddy07043']I'm glad you enjoyed reading my review!
I think the size of the ship had something to do with the service in the MDR on the Breakaway. Since there are more passengers then on the Jewel class, maybe our waiters had more tables to cover at one time and couldn't really provide the service expected. The service was fantastic at the specialty restaurants. The waiters were very attentive and friendly. I think it's because they had less tables to serve and had the time to see how our day was going or if we needed anything extra from the kitchen.
From looking at the gross tonnage of the NCL Jewel Class ships, it is similar to the size of RCL's Radiance class which are also known for their service. I guess this is why some people prefer small and medium sized ships over the mega ships.
I had friends in the wait staff on RCL and let me tell you, that job is not easy at all. Behind the scenes, it is a circus and very fast paced. I give them credit because they work so hard and they are also expected to give that personalized service to their guests.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that the solution to the service problem, would be to hire more crew for the Breakaway.

[quote name='freddy07043']LOL I will keep my eye open EVERY night to see when it's lobster night on a future NCL cruise, whenever I get vacation time! I got offered a job and I only get 10 days of vacation! =( I'm so used to doing my 5-6 month contract and then having 2 months off for vacation! Sometimes I wonder if the "real world land job" is all it is cut out to be! :p[/QUOTE]

It depends upon the job. I spent 26 years with the Postal Service, where I started out with 2 weeks yearly. After 15 years, I received 5 weeks. This allowed me to book longer cruises. I'm retired now.

My husband is a retired school teacher, who went to the private sector afterward. He went from all summer off, to two weeks on other jobs.

[quote name='Barb Nahoumi']Freddy, is the dress code stricter on RCCL, than it is on NCL. Is formal wear required in most venues on the formal nights? Ncl has Dress up or not Night, with resort casual being allowed as well.[/QUOTE]

This is what I loved about NCL--NO FORMAL NIGHTS! lol! I hated wearing a tuxedo twice a week! As far as formal nights on RCL, you can tell some people took it more serious then others. Usually the first time cruisers and traditional cruisers would be all glammed up for formal night. I think the cruisers who had been cruising for awhile, the men just wore a nice button down shirt with a tie and women would wear more like a summer dress that was tasteful. I did however love to see the kids all dressed up in their little suits and dresses. They were adorable! RCL is not strict in the sense where they wouldn't allow you to eat in the MDR if you were not in formal. Just don't show up with shorts and tshirt. lol!
Some other guests on formal nights chose to eat in the specialty restaurants where the dress code is smart casual, but I have seen some people go in there with a nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt. For ones who would not want to dress up at all would go to the buffet or to an al acarte venue like seafood shack, ritas mexican cantina, or johnny rockets.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Thank you for a terrific review from a unique perspective! Good luck with your "land" job! We enjoyed our Breakaway cruise, but had some of the same issues with crowding. Thankfully, being a suite passenger alleviates some of the feelings of being a herded cow. We love to bypass the queues, any chance we can, and you are spot on by "adjusting" your schedule doing freestyle. I totally enjoyed the activities crew on board. Julie, the CD, and her team were fabulous...especially Gustov & Chelsea. Along with the Nick team and the teen group (Ninja, Ranger, Titan & Phil). They all seemed to be everywhere and always attentive and energetic. Tough job, as I'm sure you know! Did you have any insights to that aspect of the Breakaway?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='OnTheGoMom921'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Thank you for a terrific review from a unique perspective! Good luck with your "land" job! We enjoyed our Breakaway cruise, but had some of the same issues with crowding. Thankfully, being a suite passenger alleviates some of the feelings of being a herded cow. We love to bypass the queues, any chance we can, and you are spot on by "adjusting" your schedule doing freestyle. I totally enjoyed the activities crew on board. Julie, the CD, and her team were fabulous...especially Gustov & Chelsea. Along with the Nick team and the teen group (Ninja, Ranger, Titan & Phil). They all seemed to be everywhere and always attentive and energetic. Tough job, as I'm sure you know! Did you have any insights to that aspect of the Breakaway?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thanks for reading my review. =) Oh I LOVED Julie---very polished and outgoing Cruise Director! She would be my boss if I worked for NCL. She is a great asset to the NCL company. I actually did get to talk to some of the activity staff on the cruise and we joked around about ship life and how some people just don't understand what its all about. It is kind of hard to describe. lol! It is a tough job because you cannot please everyone and yes sometimes guests come to you with issues that are beyond your control, but you have to try to handle it as best as you can or contact the appropriate officers. My nephew did enjoy the Nick team and the kid's club. My sister said it was hard to get him out of there! Lol!
By the way, soo jealous that you were in the Haven---it seems like a secret club! lol!

[quote name='mitsugirly']Lobster night is always the first cruise night...the day you board, not the first full sea day.

Don't feel bad, I missed out on Lobster night my first 4 or so cruises because I just couldn't get the night right. LOL :p[/QUOTE]

Well, I was on the 07/14-07/21 sailing. My TA had inquired about the lobster night prior to sailing because of all of the posts in CC. I do not even eat lobster but my kids do, so I was curious.

We ate in Taste (and looked at menu for Savour) and there was no lobster on the first night or the next. The reply from the Hotel Director that my TA received was that lobster is served at the buffet on the second night of sailing, and it was. No more lobster in the MDR on the Breakaway anyway for now.

;0)

Thanks for a great review Freddy. I loved that you were fair and included pros and cons.

As I've always said, most cruise lines have at least one thing that they're excel at better than the rest of their competition. I think you've hit the nail on the head with NCL and their entertainment. EXCELLENT!! However, I'll have to say that entertainment on Allure was pretty good. ;-)

Archived