Dedicated RC cruiser tries Celebrity

Thanks, I'm sure we would have a good time regardless, but maybe not the same good time you get from a mixed crowd.

But what I'm trying to ascertain is wether it would be really noticeable that we (in our 40's) are a 'younger' couple compared to the average age demographic.

Are there enough scooters parked in halls & people with walkers that you can't but notice them?

Is it likely I could look around at any given time & feel I'm the only lady who doesn't have her hair cut short & gone naturally grey because it's practical?:)

I saw not one scooter on board at all, and there was NOTHING left in the corridors which I traversed.

There were people with canes (I saw my first "HurryCane in person!" ;)) and a few walkers, but no more than I have seen on my average RC cruise. Most older passengers were very active.

And you are talking about demographics Down Under. I don't know if it's the same over there. :)

Great review Carol. Like you, we also are RC cruisers who tried X for the first time, we were on the Eclipse in April for a 14 day exotic Caribbean cruise. While there was a lot of positive things about our cruise there were almost equal of that of disappointment.

Keep the review going!!!

Loved your review and comparisons!

We are loyal RC cruisers. Just reached D+ status for our next cruise on Legend in Jan/14. Our first Celebrity was on Millennium for a 5 night. We had a WONDERFUL time, and I'd say with it being a shorter cruise, the demographics was a lot younger. Many middle aged couples sailing (40's and 50's). Our 2nd X cruise was this past Jan. on Eclipse for 14 nights. Being it was a longer cruise, the demographics was a little older, but many 40's & 50's. A few younger than that. We loved Celebrity, and as another poster mentioned, it seemed to be a step above RC IMHO. It was very nice not having all those "BINGO" announcements! :eek: We thought the food at the MDR was a little better on Eclipse (Solstice class) than Millie, and RC MDR food. We didn't do BLU, (just a regular balcony cabin). We did try the Steakhouse (for a lesser fee, negotiated with the matri dee <sp>) and the food was very good. Going back to RC for our next few cruises. We love the amenities we get, along with the balcony discount. We also loved our X cruises. The X cruises seem to be a little pricier.

And, by the way, as you can see, we have tried several "other" cruiselines too! We have done some for the itineries, and some for the pricing. We have enjoyed ALL our cruises, some just moreso than others!

I saw not one scooter on board at all, and there was NOTHING left in the corridors which I traversed.

There were people with canes (I saw my first "HurryCane in person!" ;)) and a few walkers, but no more than I have seen on my average RC cruise. Most older passengers were very active.

And you are talking about demographics Down Under. I don't know if it's the same over there. :)

Thanks for the clarification.

Demographics down under would be much the same I think.

On the VOS cruise I mentioned earlier it must have been one of those oddly skewed demographics as there were several scooters we had to pass in the halls to get to our cabin (deck 8), many passengers with walkers, & just really slow to move people everywhere.

It made disembarking at ports, getting out of the theatre etc a bit tedious at times when they insisted on being first in line & kept any process to a crawl!

Celebrity S class buffets are set up like the Windjammer, only with better food in many areas. Plus the S class have a burger/dog grill on the pool deck which no RCI ship does.

Oh, wait, Summit had the grill. I just didn't go to it. :)

:cool:Thanks for the review Merion. I am getting ready to try my first Celeb cruise in three weeks. Leaving PHL for Amsterdam for a 12 night Baltic. I have loved RCCL (still do), but I want to see if there is something better out there. I really do not like to see folks wearing shorts in MDR for formal night. Takes something away. If you have rules---enforce them, or eliminate them.

Which brings me to my question: I heard Celebrity has a more upscale dress code. Can you discuss?

Although I have one Celebrity cruise to my credit, it was the Xpedition to Galapagos, so that is an entirely different creature (but a WONDERFUL one).

Kathy

Which brings me to my question: I heard Celebrity has a more upscale dress code. Can you discuss?

Although I have one Celebrity cruise to my credit, it was the Xpedition to Galapagos, so that is an entirely different creature (but a WONDERFUL one).

Kathy

Seven night cruise to Bermuda.

Two formal nights.

All other nights were smart casual.

Everyone seemed to adhere to the dress codes.

Celebrity also asks that you continue that night's dress code into the theatre.

About 90% that I saw followed that, too.

Conclusion: It's not so much the dress code itself. It's the people following it, not ignoring it.

:)

One post wonder!!

Only negative comments!!

Do I smell a troll?!!

Sorry, Carol, I could not help myself!;) After all you do say those things a lot!!:D

Now before I get flamed, I know Carol and she knows I am crazy!

Kay and I started on Celebrity and tried cruise lines that took us to fun places.

Check my cruises.

I love cruising anywhere, anytime, I can.

Carol, I think you were very good with a balanced review. I agree, there are things that each cruise line does better than the others. Always cruise with an open mind!

I hope to sail with you again soon!!!

You go girl!!!

Thanks for your review. It was very interesting reading it.

My husband and I have sailed both lines, although not many times.

We enjoyed both. Most things are quite similar in standard with minor differences such as better bread choices on RC and the crew seems happier and more easy going on RC. Entertainment, food etc are very similar. But there is one reason why we will stick with Celebrity in future - smoking policy. There is no comparison! On both R C cruises we could hardly use our balconies as they always smelled of smoke from our neighbours.

Also the whole ship smelt better as obviously less smokers are on board. This is a deal breaker for us. Which is a shame as RC is otherwise a great cruise line.

Thanks for the review!

My wife and I, who will both hit 51 this year :eek:, will also make Diamond on our next RCI cruise. We are seriously interested in cruising Celebrity, and your review highlights most of the reasons it interests us. We have no kids, she teaches school and would just as soon get away from the kids, and a certain dose of "elegance" is something we enjoy from time to time. And, that's from a couple who really loves RCI!

We'll probably look to Celebrity for our 2015 cruise, whatever that may be...

Reading another thread just now reminded me of a VERY important difference.

No announcements.

The Captain has a daily 10 A.M. report from the bridge. <sigh> (Captain Leonardos)

There may be one announcement a day about one important thing.

Other than that, NO ANNOUNCEMENTS ON THE PUBLIC ADDRESS SYSTEM.

Such a nice relief!

Dont forget about the nice cold towels when you reboard. They usually offer you a nice cool moist towel to wipe off with when you come back from the port day.

Carol,

Forgive me if you have already answered this quesiton. It is late, trying to stay awake to catch a 3 AM shuttle to the airport to get to Vancouver. We are boarding the Radiance on friday.

You posted that you booked an aqua class guarantee class. You also posted something about no balcony discounts, but free upgrades.

Can you tell me what a sort of cabin the aqua class would fall into on Royal. Would that be a JS or higher? If you booked a E1 or a B1 on the Allure would you get an automatic upgrade.

Thanks for your help. We have a Next Cruise booked for a Celebrity cruise. My thoughts are I can only do the same ports over and over again only so many times. Hoping Celebrity will give us some other options.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned as a difference -- hot tubs at night. I am a big right before bed hot tub lover. But on the Millennium they close them down by 10 pm. So after 2nd seating dinner and show there was no hot tubbing for me. RC leaves one open at all times.

One post wonder!!

Only negative comments!!

Do I smell a troll?!!

Sorry, Carol, I could not help myself!;) After all you do say those things a lot!!:D

Now before I get flamed, I know Carol and she knows I am crazy!

Kay and I started on Celebrity and tried cruise lines that took us to fun places.

Check my cruises.

I love cruising anywhere, anytime, I can.

Carol, I think you were very good with a balanced review. I agree, there are things that each cruise line does better than the others. Always cruise with an open mind!

I hope to sail with you again soon!!!

You go girl!!!

Actually, John, I am NEVER the one to throw those phrases around. You have the wrong poster! ;)

Dont forget about the nice cold towels when you reboard. They usually offer you a nice cool moist towel to wipe off with when you come back from the port day.

I usually opted for the cold citrus water! aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Carol,

Forgive me if you have already answered this quesiton. It is late, trying to stay awake to catch a 3 AM shuttle to the airport to get to Vancouver. We are boarding the Radiance on friday.

You posted that you booked an aqua class guarantee class. You also posted something about no balcony discounts, but free upgrades.

Can you tell me what a sort of cabin the aqua class would fall into on Royal. Would that be a JS or higher? If you booked a E1 or a B1 on the Allure would you get an automatic upgrade.

Thanks for your help. We have a Next Cruise booked for a Celebrity cruise. My thoughts are I can only do the same ports over and over again only so many times. Hoping Celebrity will give us some other options.

It's a very limited promise. Book a verandah cabin, 2C, and you will be "upgraded" to a 2B or 2A. You don't actually jump categories.

Verandah cabins (balcony cabins) on M Class, of which Summit is one, are the size of Voyager E cabins. If you get Aqua or Concierge class, it's the size of a D.

There are no such upgrades on Royal.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned as a difference -- hot tubs at night. I am a big right before bed hot tub lover. But on the Millennium they close them down by 10 pm. So after 2nd seating dinner and show there was no hot tubbing for me. RC leaves one open at all times.

I no longer use ship's hot tubs. I now am a believer in Human Soup. :eek:

Was there still Jazz in the afternoons on the Oceanview aft deck??That was my favorite way to spend the afternoon post excursions.

Sue

When I was in the Summit in June, there was a guitarist and singer playing in the afternoons. Very relaxing way to spend a few minutes. Her name was Paige something. She had a very cool vibe.

When I was in the Summit in June, there was a guitarist and singer playing in the afternoons. Very relaxing way to spend a few minutes. Her name was Paige something. She had a very cool vibe.

She is still aboard. Brandi Paige. :)

Yes, there is a big difference between the S Class and M Class Oceanviews. S Class is more similar to WJ in that it is an island design with lots of choices. M Class is the old, line-up design and they have a lot less selection.

That is good to know. For us, being Windjammer people, the buffet area on a ship is very important to us.

One thing to remember about Celebrity. On the older M ships, Concierge (and the new Aqua) cabins are larger then regular cabins. On the newer S ships, all non-suite cabins are the same size @ 194 sq. ft. This goes from std balconies up to Concierge and Aqua class. Even the insides are 194 sq. ft.

The angle balconies are huge and are listed as cat. 1A. The cabins are still the same size.

There is a huge spreadsheet on the Celebrity board that discusses all cabins on the 5 S ships.

Archived