Ship Location, Route, Speed, etc...

I was on Freedom 2 months ago and I could not find on any of the TV stations that had the map of the distance travelled, speed, heading, wind speed, etc.... All I could find was the bridge cam. have they done away with this feature?

I was on Freedom 2 months ago and I could not find on any of the TV stations that had the map of the distance travelled, speed, heading, wind speed, etc.... All I could find was the bridge cam. have they done away with this feature?

We were on FOS in May, and the captain said that the computer that runs that program had died, and they were waiting on a replacement.

No, they still have it though I'm not sure about on those TV's around the ship as I don't use or look at those. However, there is a channel in your stateroom you can turn to that has that info. It switches to ship location, ocean depth, wind speed, etc. As well as shows exterior ship shots.

We were on FOS in May, and the captain said that the computer that runs that program had died, and they were waiting on a replacement.

Interesting.

If you download a marine map to your smartphone, it will show you location, speed, heading, etc. You can also put in the destination and get distance and time until arrival. It does not require an Internet connection to use it. I like seeing where we are and which islands we're passing.

If you download a marine map to your smartphone, it will show you location, speed, heading, etc. You can also put in the destination and get distance and time until arrival. It does not require an Internet connection to use it. I like seeing where we are and which islands we're passing.

Won't you get a big bill for this too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phone's GPS won't work unless airplane mode is off and you have either wifi or cellular enabled.

Not true at all. It takes longer to get a fix (1-2 minutes if you haven't used it in a few days), but it works just fine without wifi or a cell signal. I've done it with 5 different smartphones from 4 manufacturers.

Phone's GPS won't work unless airplane mode is off and you have either wifi or cellular enabled.

Airplane mode turns off transmitters, not receivers. With Android phones anyway, you have full control over each component, so you can turn on GPS and still keep WiFi and Cellular off. If you download the maps for the areas you will be traveling before the cruise, they will be available even without Internet access, and you can always see your location, speed and direction. If you put in the destination as a waypoint, it will tell you time and distance to arrival. You can also see water depth and nearby islands.

We were on the Explorer last January,Captain said that the GPS computer had to be upgraded. to work with the new electronics.Has this been done. :(

Archived