Children's Program

condor

And it looks like all the lobbying and discussion from the smoking thread(s), did in fact make a difference.

I seem to remember the SB brochure or possibly web site from two or three years ago stating that their ships were unsuitable for small children.... perhaps that was just in reference to the little sisters.

The small ships ARE quite unsuitable for small children in any numbers, but it looks as if SB can not afford to not cater for families. Perhaps the proposed 600 passenger new build will have dedicated children's facilities, and families that want a 'luxury' experience will gravitate towards that.

I certainly will not - just not interested in large group mass experiences - hence the original attraction of the little sisters. Personally I am not even sure if I would enjoy the Odyssey class ships. I certainly could not tolerate one with 40 children on it.

Does anyone think SB could operate with one of its (soon to be) 4(?) ships as adults only? Other lines seem to be able to manage it?

Did it make a difference? I don't think so. The only substantive change is no smoking in staterooms and playing with the hours in the Observation Lounge. In my view, it could end up being worse with smokers being pushed onto their verandas and their neighbors getting to share.

Children are allowed - and sometimes encouraged - because it makes financial sense. If you have affluent parents who are in their late 30s and early 40s, they still have 30 or 40 years of cruising left in them. So why push them away? If you have kids and teens who get used to the Seabourn experience then they have 60 years of cruising left in them. So best to try to find a solution which keep everyone reasonably happy ..... and that would be kid's programs.

I think the recent post about what Seabourn plans makes sense. Basically it says that in certain itineraries (med) in certain months (July and August) they will actually have children's organized activities. Other luxury lines already do this. It's a wise decision to do this versus not having a program.

All of this supports the fact that in the summer months and given the size of the ships there will be children on board the ship. And for those who said if there are children there should be organized programs that is what they are doing.

In this business environment they really are not going to say no children. It's just too competitive an environment. Other luxury lines carry children then as well. Some have organized programs. Others do not.

When Seabourn made the business decision to go with larger ships what of the unintended consequences (maybe intended but since I am not sure I am saying unintended) is that families who would not take consider taking their children on the smaller triplets but who wanted the Seabourn luxury experience now had more reason to take their kids. The other factor is that the Med is much more appealing for families then 10 to 15 years ago.

I also think the post by whystayathome supported my view that if someone sees a blatant problem on board address it in a constructive way and it will likely be dealt with which was the case.

I know that some will disagree with me on this. My actual preference when I dine and when I am in most environments is a quiet experience but this is not about me or a few of us it is about a business in a highly competitive environment and about changing times. And while I realize that some people will now not sail with them in the summer if there are a lot of kids on board I suspect that the uptake by being "kid friendly" is much greater than those who won't sail. The reality continues to be if you sail in the Mediterranean or if Seabourn did Alaska i the summer which some here have asked about is you will have kids on board and probably a lot at times.

So for those who don't want to sail with the kids I go back to my point which is to sail the Med in April and September which to me are far better times to sail it anyway.

Again, Seabourn as all the cruise lines has made a business decision and to me a logical one. Again, it doesn't matter what my preference is they are looking at the total picture and the total business. They have a lot of capacity to fill.

Keith

Children are allowed - and sometimes encouraged - because it makes financial sense. If you have affluent parents who are in their late 30s and early 40s, they still have 30 or 40 years of cruising left in them. So why push them away?

I wonder how these affluent parents will feel about cruising with groups of children on Seabourn when their kids are grown up and they are empty-nesters?

Keith1010, I agree with what you said but I was trying to make a different point. Yesterday, I was contacted by people we have become friends with through sailing who know some of our cruising history. They had questions regarding cruise information their children had been given on specific cruise lines. Their adult children and grandchildren (2 and 4) will be going on a cruise. The children are very involved in water sports and their TA, part of a large firm, recommended the family taking a luxury cruise ship with a water sports platform. Those ships included Seabourn, Windstar, and SeaDream. The time frame is not in the "school is out" months and, regardless, their grandchildren would be too young for any type of organized children's program onboard. I told them the reasons that I believed the ships were not a good fit for the family. I was shocked, and I do mean shocked, that any TA who has years of experience would have made the recommendation. It may have made "business sense" in terms of filling the ships and/or the commission paid, but it would not, in my opinion, have been a sailing experience that either the parents or the other passengers onboard would ever want to repeat.

This has nothing to do with my preference onboard a ship and has everything to do with ensuring the customer makes an informed decision best for their specific scenario.

mariners, I agree with you. Their TA gave terrible and I mean terrible information.

I would go to a resort.

Two is really young for any cruise line.

I reenforces my view. There are excellent TA's, average TA's and poor TA's. This one sounds like a poor one to me.

Keith

mariners,

The TA who recommended a ship with a water platform to your friends obviously is not familiar with the frequency that these ships employ those platforms. If they are lucky it will be once per cruise, when the ship is at anchor in a conducive port and the weather cooperates. This is hardly reason enough to choose a particular line and a knowledgeable TA would have known that.

And just what is it that Seabourn offers right now that would appear to be attractive to children?

Caviar in the surf??

Champagne?

Trivia?

Rock the Boat?

Galley Lunch?

Jacuzzis?

Bridge ?

Perhaps they could start a kids program offering

Jelly beans in the shallows

and replace the deck 5 jacuzzi with a paddling pool

a Galley sleep-over

a Top Trumps tournament

Afternoon Spelling Bee in the Observation Lounge ( before 8.00pm)

and Seabreeze play the One Direction songbook night ( better make that early evening)

a Galley sleep-over

a Top Trumps tournament

and Seabreeze play the One Direction songbook night ( better make that early evening)

What about making the bridge into a romper room?

mariners,

The TA who recommended a ship with a water platform to your friends obviously is not familiar with the frequency that these ships employ those platforms. If they are lucky it will be once per cruise, when the ship is at anchor in a conducive port and the weather cooperates. This is hardly reason enough to choose a particular line and a knowledgeable TA would have known that.

Another good point. Also, for example, the advertised waverunners are not allowed in the BVI. Just one glitch to the kiddies using the water sports toys. Many ports do not allow the platform down at all. Then there is the weather that keeps it out of use so if you came on board for the way cool water sports platform, you better have a back up plan for the rugrats.:eek:

And just what is it that Seabourn offers right now that would appear to be attractive to children?

Caviar in the surf??

Champagne?

Trivia?

Rock the Boat?

Galley Lunch?

Jacuzzis?

Bridge ?

a Galley sleep-over

a Top Trumps tournament

I suggest a Treasure Hunt/Maze through the bilge areas which would take a week to complete.:D:eek:

Although there were also a lot of children on our second leg, they were once again well behaved and not annoying in any way. The organized activity program may have helped. Also, the parents seemed like they were all decent, responsible, considerate folks who did not let their little darlings run wild or otherwise annoy the other passengers (except for the baby-in-the-pool pair). Occasionally you could hear some joyous laughter, as only a child produces, and it was actually a pleasant, and not irksome background accompaniment to the day. So, having children on board does not have to be a trial if the parents behave. Perhaps Seabourn needs to hand out a rule book for parents!

I wonder how these affluent parents will feel about cruising with groups of children on Seabourn when their kids are grown up and they are empty-nesters?

I'd guess they'll be the ones complaining that "While I have and love my Grandchildren, I don't want to cruise with them".

With your skills and experience perhaps you could volunteer to the the onboard tutor.

I like that. For free tickets I could do it. Just need a box of Cubans and a large roll of duct tape and I will have them doing nothing but blowing perfect "O"s. :eek: Hey, not trying to start another "O" argument here.:D

Interestingly, Windstar makes no accommodations for children and seem to discourage them being on board. Posters reflect few, if any, children on their voyages with W. Maybe that is the answer--sail on the Pride/Spirit/Legend over at W and enjoy.:eek::D

Interestingly, Windstar makes no accommodations for children and seem to discourage them being on board. Posters reflect few, if any, children on their voyages with W. Maybe that is the answer--sail on the Pride/Spirit/Legend over at W and enjoy.:eek::D

Hmm... not a bad idea. I already like Windstar and being able to sail on the little sisters with few kids would be very appealing.

From USA Today's website:

>"On big ships in*clud*ing those of Car*ni*val, Dis*ney, Nor*we*gian Cruise Line, and Roy*al Caribbean In*ter*na*tion*al, kids are kept well oc*cu*pied by an ex*ten*sive ros*ter of ac*tiv*ities in play*rooms, kid*die pools, and oth*er spaces ship*board, su*per*vised by camp-like coun*selors (most with teach*ing de*grees). Nor*we*gian Cruise Line has a part*ner*ship with Nick*elodeon (Do*ra the Ex*plor*er, Sponge*Bob SquarePants), Roy*al Caribbean with Dream*Works (Shrek, Kung Fu Pan*da) and Dis*ney with, well Dis*ney, adding to the fun with spe*cial ac*tiv*ities (such as get*ting "slimed" on se*lect Nor*we*gian ships). Small*er and lux*ury ships may have few*er fa*cil*ities for kids or none at all.

For young kids, sam*ple ac*tiv*ities in*clude:

Toys and games

play*ing on climb*ing ap*pa*ra*tus

sto*ry time

trea*sure hunts

arts and crafts

movies

get-ac*tive games

pup*pet shows (some Roy*al Caribbean ships even have elab*orate pup*pet the*aters).

For old*er kids, sam*ple ac*tiv*ities in*clude:

Com*put*ers and video games

lip-sync com*pe*ti*tions

sci*ence ex*per*iments

an*ima*tion lessons (on Dis*ney ships)

scratch DJ lessons (on se*lect Roy*al Caribbean ships)

pool games

sports

mu*sic and arts ac*tiv*ities.

On the new*er main*stream ships, teens and 'tweens have their own places to hang out, with en*tice*ments in*clud*ing a dance floor, bar (non*al*co*holic), video wall for movie watch*ing, and com*put*ers with games and for-a-fee in*ter*net ac*cess. On Princess ships teens get their own pri*vate sun*deck with whirlpool. There may be a sep*arate video ar*cade.

Many ships, in*clud*ing those in the Dis*ney and Car*ni*val fleets, are now of*fer*ing spa treat*ments for teens and spe*cial kids-on*ly shore ex*cur*sions, too."

Although there were also a lot of children on our second leg, they were once again well behaved and not annoying in any way. The organized activity program may have helped. Also, the parents seemed like they were all decent, responsible, considerate folks who did not let their little darlings run wild or otherwise annoy the other passengers (except for the baby-in-the-pool pair). Occasionally you could hear some joyous laughter, as only a child produces, and it was actually a pleasant, and not irksome background accompaniment to the day. So, having children on board does not have to be a trial if the parents behave. Perhaps Seabourn needs to hand out a rule book for parents!

If the description of the 'joyous' sound of children laughing as a pleasant background noise is supposed to be reassuring, I'm really sorry but it has the opposite effect. Yes, we love the sound of our grandchildren playing when they are at home, but all those little darlings splashing around in the jacuzzi on a Seabourn cruise......er, no thanks!

I like that. For free tickets I could do it. Just need a box of Cubans and a large roll of duct tape and I will have them doing nothing but blowing perfect "O"s. :eek: Hey, not trying to start another "O" argument here.:D

Brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like I've never been away :)

Some time ago, probably a couple of years ago I raised the subject of bringing a child on board Seabourn and it lit up like a gasoline doused touch paper.

So here's a question for you all.

Where would you suggest we go with a 13 year old very well educated, polite young lady who enjoys spending a couple of hours getting ready for dinner - I have no idea how you would possibly fill the time but somehow she manages. She knows how to use a knife and fork correctly and will happily spend time teaching her single handed American elders the art.

She loves her dancing and spends hours practicing dance moves in front of the mirror either alone or with friends.

Her father is a commercially endorsed Yachtmaster and she has accompanied him on many journeys at sea so would enjoy seeing how a larger ship operates, in fact she would be surprised to discover her skills would almost allow her to operate as officer of the watch :)

She has been raised in a fairly broad minded environment, father has a terrible mouth and it washes over her. There is nothing that couldn't be discussed at the dinner table.

She doesn't like kids clubs and running around in groups, her ideal would be to hook up with a like minded friend and chat about what ever girls talk about, age range 10 to 17.

She scrubs up well, doesn't smell has a lovely English accent and an English rose complexion that will appeal to those with any semblance of parental / grand parental feelings.

Most bizarrely her parents actually get on with her and spend time with her. There will be times when you hear a laugh or a giggle but I'm sure we could learn to stifle that if needed ;)

Her old man's a bit of a fruitcake though.

Keep smiling

Henry :)

Archived