Children's Program

condor

I agree that children do not belong on luxury cruises. Parents who want to introduce their children to luxury cruising should (IMHO) first teach their child(ren) how to behave in restaurants (starting with coffee shops and working their way up to 5-6 star restaurants). Once they have mastered that, you may consider luxury lines.

On most luxury cruise lines, dinner takes a minimum of 1 1/2 hours. Can your child(ren) cope with that without being disruptive? Ask yourself if you are taking your child(ren) on this cruise to please yourself or them? After all, during the summer and school breaks, don't your children deserve to be somewhere where they can enjoy themselves after months of school and homework?

Also, keep in mind that luxury cruise ships have a very small swimming pool. If children are "dive bombing" into the pool, the rest of the guests can not enter the pool.

I know...... regardless of what any of us post on CC, some ignorant parents will think that their little darlings will do just fine. Selfishness knows no bounds!

I agree that children do not belong on luxury cruises. Parents who want to introduce their children to luxury cruising should (IMHO) first teach their child(ren) how to behave in restaurants (starting with coffee shops and working their way up to 5-6 star restaurants). Once they have mastered that, you may consider luxury lines.

On most luxury cruise lines, dinner takes a minimum of 1 1/2 hours. Can your child(ren) cope with that without being disruptive? Ask yourself if you are taking your child(ren) on this cruise to please yourself or them? After all, during the summer and school breaks, don't your children deserve to be somewhere where they can enjoy themselves after months of school and homework?

Also, keep in mind that luxury cruise ships have a very small swimming pool. If children are "dive bombing" into the pool, the rest of the guests can not enter the pool.

I know...... regardless of what any of us post on CC, some ignorant parents will think that their little darlings will do just fine. Selfishness knows no bounds!

Well done TC2. That is the most elegant, pointed and persuasive explanation of this issue that I have read to date. Thank you.

I

On most luxury cruise lines, dinner takes a minimum of 1 1/2 hours.

Not once did we see any of the kids in The Restaurant. I'm not sure how long it takes in Colonnade, but if they are eating room service all the time then it isn;'t a copncern for the parents.

Some parents may see it a cheap/free babysitting, dump kids in cabin with room service and head out for the nights for dinner alone. Too bad that the kids may well not stay in the cabin or be quite disruptive for the neighbour

Travel Cat I started training my kids from birth to eat out, if they got disruptive or couldn't cope we would remove them, all too often now parents think it is OK for the kids to go careering around a dining venue playing on the floor with toy cars etc, or that it is cute when they go up to other diners tables to converse

The problem is there are Parents and there are PARENTS :(

Truth be known, on Seabourn kids under 2 years old sail for free and under 12 at significantly reduced rates which is no coincidence why at times in the summer and holiday times we have so many of them onboard. Cheaper to bring the kids than to hire a nany at home to take care of them where they belong!:rolleyes:

Zorro,

is that the 3rd occupant rate?

What is the reduction for an u12

a) sharing with mum and dad

b) separate cabin?

3rd occupancy rate varies sailing over sailing and is capacity controlled as well. But in general, infants under 2 years old only pay 10% of the fare (just like an airline not occupying a full seat) and 3rd and fourth paying kids under the age of 12 up to 50% off the fare again this varies voyage over voyage. Kids/minors can't cruise in a separate cabin unaccompanied under the age of 18 years of age. This is a Carnival Corporation policy.

Parents have an absolute right to take their children on any cruise where this is allowed by the cruise line. They have a legal right to do so, and many will exercise this right.

However, they absolutely have NO moral right to allow those children to disrupt the wellbeing or comfort of any other passengers. For this reason, I cannot see that it would be more than rarely appropriate for them to be on a small, luxury cruise ship, for a number of reasons.

Just a few children, from several families, and probably of differing ages are likely to become rather bored, especially if there are lots of sea days. In any case, long dinners and adult-orientated entertainment are likely to make them at least restless and at worst disruptive.

Larger numbers of children will band together (either instinctively or by organisation) and become 'structurally' disruptive in terms of organisation of activities, use of previously adult-only venues and general noise levels.

There are many, many vacation venues, and indeed cruiselines, which are set up to enhance your child's vacation. If your child is happy (either with you or with provided entertainment) the whole family will be happier. A small, adult-orientated ship is not one of these.

There are two (almost) inevitable consequences of having more than a few children on Seabourn or similar: the children will not have their most enjoyable vacation and the other adults will not have their most enjoyable vacation. So, who wins? I think that most parents who took their children on such cruises would actually be uncomfortable when they realised it was not particularly appropriate. I wouldn't want to be watching every second to try to make sure that my child was not upsetting someone. Obviously there are a few families who really don't care as long as they can enjoy the luxury of the ship and 'someone else' is keeping an eye on their children. By setting up tentative 'child clubs' the cruise line is encouraging them.

Sadly, the bottom line is the bottom line. These families pay for two and a couple of bits of adult fares, which is income for the cruise line. While the ships are over-capacity for demand this is very tempting. However, how many passengers are going to be put off?

I hardly dare to mention this, but it does make me think of 'smoking' in terms of the potential loss of revenue in losing smokers / families versus the potential loss of non-smokers / adults. A conundrum!

I hardly dare to mention this, but it does make me think of 'smoking' in terms of the potential loss of revenue in losing smokers / families versus the potential loss of non-smokers / adults. A conundrum!

Well, as a cigar smoker I do like to play with toys on the floor....

I think there may be a bit of a vicious circle at work here. Seabourn 'regulars' and other 'older' adults tend to avoid cruising during the school holidays because of the risk of kids on-board. As a result, the ships are not full which leads Seabourn to try to attract families which leads to 'older adults' and regulars not sailing .... etc. etc.

We certainly avoid sailing during the European/US school holidays.

I think there may be a bit of a vicious circle at work here. Seabourn 'regulars' and other 'older' adults tend to avoid cruising during the school holidays because of the risk of kids on-board. As a result, the ships are not full which leads Seabourn to try to attract families which leads to 'older adults' and regulars not sailing .... etc. etc.

Could very well be. One thing is for sure, cruise lines will do nearly anything to address capacity shortages.

Are you travelling, or up early? Isn't it 5:57am in Sedona?

We held our breath when we went on the Quest holiday cruise but lucked out with only one child on board. We have usually avoided holiday and summer cruises in part because we did not want want our cruise spoiled by unsupervised children dong what children do. And yes, problem children are usually the result of problem parents.If Seabourn does introduce a more structured children's program this development , combined with the sale of the little sisters, we may lead us to reduce our Seabourn sailing come 2015. If you add more children and relaxed dress codes Seabourn starts to lose it's unique position in the cruise world.Until then we shall wait and see.

You know this topic comes up on this board every few months and on all of the luxury boards.

It's not going to change.

Children will continue to be welcome on each luxury line. Some are better equipped to handle this.

If you don't like children don't sail in the summer months. In fact, avoid just about everything in the summer including most luxury hotels.

And know that the larger the size of the luxury line ships the more likely you will see more and more children.

If you want to sail in the summer without children rent a private yacht.

I am probably one of the most tactful posters on cruise critic so when I say don't cruise in the summer if you don't like children I don't know any better way to say it. Same goes for holiday cruises.

Keith

You know this topic comes up on this board every few months and on all of the luxury boards.

It's not going to change.

Children will continue to be welcome on each luxury line. Some are better equipped to handle this.

If you don't like children don't sail in the summer months. In fact, avoid just about everything in the summer including most luxury hotels.

And know that the larger the size of the luxury line ships the more likely you will see more and more children.

If you want to sail in the summer without children rent a private yacht.

I am probably one of the most tactful posters on cruise critic so when I say don't cruise in the summer if you don't like children I don't know any better way to say it. Same goes for holiday cruises.

Keith

Hi Keith. You are right of course but the one thing that really gets me going is the dishonesty of the luxe lines marketing. If they allow kids, they should show kids on the website and be more forthcoming about what one is paying for. I know, as you do, that more kids are about on school holiday times but the marketing at Seabourn (and SeaDream among others) only emphasizes the adult aspect of the cruises. I want them to deliver what they market or market what they deliver.:eek::D

My kids are all angels and you would be lucky to be on a cruise with all six of them.

;)

Only 6! is that a California regulated maximum? Heck, they regulate everything else don't they?:D In the South, where I was raised, that would hardly be a middlin' family.:eek: Some folks would need to rent the whole boat, if they could afford it.:D They are real darlins too, probably bring all the dogs to play with.:eek::D

Roxburgh's post 62 and Jim Avery's post 69 completely hit the nail on the head. Sadly, most of those who are new to Seabourn (and other luxury lines) may look at the brochures and assume there are unlikely to be children on board until they find out! However, one also has to say that few of those we meet (including us) look a lot like the slim youngish glamorous people who inhabit the brochures.

I do fully understand and appreciate what Jim is saying but each company will market as they see fit.

And yes, the people on the brochure do not look like the vast majority of people who sail the luxury lines.

Also, most luxury hotels don't show kids and we now see them all the time including in the club rooms and the like.

Keith

I agree that it is doubtful that any cruise line or ship will become adults only. Also agree that there usually will be children during summer and school breaks. However, I urge one of the luxury lines to have two "adults only" sailings per year. One during the summer. This would allow teachers and others who can only take vacation at this time of the year to have a children-free vacation. There are many educators that work with children every day and love their work. Don't they deserve some time away from children. IMO, it is definitely worth a try. My guess is that the two adults-only sailings will sell out.

On the last page someone stated that it was a legal right to be able to take children on a ship (paraphrasing). This person was not from the U.S. To my knowledge there is no such law in the U.S. or Canada. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that it is doubtful that any cruise line or ship will become adults only. Also agree that there usually will be children during summer and school breaks. However, I urge one of the luxury lines to have two "adults only" sailings per year. One during the summer. This would allow teachers and others who can only take vacation at this time of the year to have a children-free vacation. There are many educators that work with children every day and love their work. Don't they deserve some time away from children. IMO, it is definitely worth a try. My guess is that the two adults-only sailings will sell out.

On the last page someone stated that it was a legal right to be able to take children on a ship (paraphrasing). This person was not from the U.S. To my knowledge there is no such law in the U.S. or Canada. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

Adults only ships exist in Europe, among other places. Saga, P&O, come to mind. Some of the river cruise lines prohibit under 18. It is certainly doable if the company wants it. Not to mention lots of land based adults only resorts. I am with you, the Adults Only cruises would be a quick sell.:D

Archived