Enough to do at Chankanaab w/ just basic admission?

nessz79

We have been to Cozumel a few times now and have always gone to Paradise Beach. Although we like PB, it's getting a little "old."

I've been thinking of doing Chankanaab for something different, but we are on a budget and won't be abel to do an animal encounter (dolphins, etc). The kids like to snorkel in calm waters, but we are all beginner snorkelers at best.

Do you think there's enough to do at Chankanaab given all these issues? Should we try somewhere else?

I think so. We've only been once and just snorkeled. We rented their equipment as we didn't bring our own so I'm not sure if they require you to tents theirs or not. We had a good time, and actually really enjoyed the food at their restaurant. The snorkeling was easy. They even have stairs that walk you down into the water. Doesn't get more beginner friendly than that ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been there a few times and really like it. There is a free sea lion show you can watch. There are walking trails but I've never been all the way around. Snorkeling is great as there are many things to see. Make sure you snorkel out to the Christ statue. If you're renting snorkel gear rent it from one of the dive shops (huts) in front of the snorkel area. It's much cheaper that way. I always scuba dive while I'm there. I'm certified and I think I pay like 40.00 dollars for the dive. I've seen the largest sea horse I've ever seen diving there. I've had friends that were not certified take a resort course and do a dive for around 65.00 dollars. It's a nice place and I love it but it's not like swimming at a beach. When you enter the water in the snorkeling area the water is deep quick. They say there is a beach area but I've never been to it.

I liked the snorkling. We did the dolphin swim too, but I think there's enough at the park to keep you busy. We didn't even get to the walking trails or anything else. Here's the page in my review that talks about Chakanaab... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863074&page=6.

Scroll down to post #108.

Oh, we brought our own masks & snorkel, but got life jackets on site (free). They made snorkling easier. YMMV

You can definitely have a fun day there. The fish are plentiful. My little girl snorkels, but she enjoyed just standing on the steps and looking at the fish with her goggles. Not sure how old your children are, but my DD was 7 last time we were there. She also liked chasing the little fish in the lagoon. She also liked exploring and watching the sea lion show. We also watched the dolphins - not as good as a swim, but still got to see them.

Just returned. Only one ship in port and few island guests, so very easy going and uncrowded. If many ships in port, I would wonder if that remained the case.

As mentioned there is a sea lion show included in the admission price. Plenty of chairs. Bar and food service. Large grounds to walk around. Small ruins, crocs, pond, freshwater pool, etc. Ziplines "under construction", not sure on completion date or any extra fee. But one will supposedly end out into the water.

But the reason to go there is still snorkeling. You can rent full gear or just fins which is nice for air travel (and heavy fins). Vests are free, but not really needed in salty water IMO. Many stair entrances and one main (I think the original) walk-in entrance to the water.

Food and drink were good and reasonably priced.

Taxi $11USD from pier and back for 4 people. Vans for up to 8 easily available for $22USD.

$2 coupon easily found online. Very easy/safe and much cheaper to book direct and not via cruiseline. If not doing any sealife encounters, just walk-up.

Biodegradable sunscreen needed.

Chankanaab is a beautiful place (it's a National Park) and plenty to do. They have the snorkeling area (which is huge) with tons of fish and sea life, a lagoon, a smaller calm beachy cove area, the sea lion show, trails that take you to a mini replica of the ruins. We have been to Cozumel plenty of times and Chankanaab still remains our favorite place. My now 5 year old has snorkeled with us each time since she was 3 years old.

You will find 2 reviews of Chankanaab in my signature line. Just click on them and it will take you to my reviews with tons of pictures. See if it's something that would interest you and your family. :)

Can you see the manatees and/or dolphins without paying for an "encounter", please?

When we were their in June of 2012 we took a free tour on the pier that surrounds the dolphins and manatees. If I remember, the guide was one of the trainers and told us about the animals. Ask for a tours/times guide when you buy your tickets.

Can you see the manatees and/or dolphins without paying for an "encounter", please?

The way they have it set up, it would be really hard to see much of anything. The deck is pretty high up and the swimmers are way down in the water (I think they did this on purpose). It's such a big place and the pens go so far out, unless you have binoculars to really see, it's hard. Yes, you may see some jump out of the water, and you might be able to see if someone is doing a royal swim because it's in the big part, but trying to see the encounters are hard.

As you can see in this picture, the deck is up high and the swimmers/dolphin/manatees down low.

IMG_1408-M.jpg

Here's an overview shot of the dolphin area. It helps to see how big the area is

google-M.jpg

Archived