So What Now?

5waldos

It has been a year, but I need to write my Shadow review

Just as importantly, if not more so, please tell us about your upcoming cruise (during or after your cruise). I want to know if they mean what they say (or promise).

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos. Superb, wonderful cruise. If you can couple it with a visit before or after to Machu Picchu as we did, you will have one of your best holidays ever! We travel extensively (including on SS and Seabourn), and when friends and family ask "What was your all time favorite trip?" - the answer is the Galapagos and Machu Picchu. (Take the Hiram Bingham train too - yet another amazing experience to talk about!)

Agreed - we did that trip on the Xpedition with a Celebrity arranged trip to MP after the cruise. Wonderful all around.

We are in the same boat - booked on a Galapagos trip and moreover it's in December, so 1) our final payment is due in 2 weeks and 2) it's Christmas time, so changing flights is a questionable endeavour at best. We also have a trip to Peru booked immediately after, so unless we can find an option that fits exactly the dates (and has availability in a decent stateroom), we are hooped.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it looks like we'll be packing lots of Purell and Immodium.

We are in the same boat - booked on a Galapagos trip and moreover it's in December, so 1) our final payment is due in 2 weeks and 2) it's Christmas time, so changing flights is a questionable endeavour at best. We also have a trip to Peru booked immediately after, so unless we can find an option that fits exactly the dates (and has availability in a decent stateroom), we are hooped.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it looks like we'll be packing lots of Purell and Immodium.

My head aches for you! I'd bring along some Cipro for sure. Let us know what you decide. On the plus side, except for complaints about food not tasting so great and often being cold, people don't seem to have been getting sick (maybe they put Cipro into the food??- Kidding- Kidding!) and have still mostly been loving the cruises.

Just as importantly, if not more so, please tell us about your upcoming cruise (during or after your cruise). I want to know if they mean what they say (or promise).

In a nutshell, it was poor. The water in the sinks were light brown. The food was mediocre, the cabin was fine. Our butler couldn't get anything right. I took all my notes to the hotel manager and said exactly what I thought. I did not see anything change. We got off in Hong Kong and my husband went to the reception to get some HK dollars for a taxi, and they had no foreign currency. We left, totally annoyed, the hotel manager told me good bye, and then spent 3 perfect days at the Mandarin Oriental.

I promise to put my thoughts together and get that review written. We just came back from the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti, and it was so perfect I cannot begin to say.

As far as the Galapagos, I would give my money to Celebrity. They have a proven product, and althought I do not like their big ships, this one is great. You can get a nice cabin on deck 5 or 6 for less than on Silversea.we went in 2005 and are going again in Jan 2015.

Hope that helps.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is on the Shadow in Alaska at this time, or who cruised following the inspection. What is the situation on the ship as far as food quality? Has any mention been made by crew or anything addressed to the customers? From the rollcalls, there are people about to board who are on cc, so could someone please give us a review? Thanks

Paul,

I would certainly not cancel. Your two main reasons, the unique itinerary and booked business class tickets are compelling and my gut feeling is that SS will soon be the most hygienic cruise line sailing.

Paul,

I would certainly not cancel. Your two main reasons, the unique itinerary and booked business class tickets are compelling and my gut feeling is that SS will soon be the most hygienic cruise line sailing.

Amen to this!

We just heard the news today, and were so upset that we cancelled a Nov cruise. The reaction from the SilverSea agent was to remind us of the penalty for cancelling.

This would have been our third time on SilverSea. We are very distressed that they think so little of their customers that a) they are willing to compromise health and safety; b) have no substantive response other tha corporatespeak; and c) are happy to keep a penalty and loose repeat customers, implying that it's our fault that we are grossed out, and sceptical on how isolated this incident was.

We just heard the news today, and were so upset that we cancelled a Nov cruise. The reaction from the SilverSea agent was to remind us of the penalty for cancelling.

This would have been our third time on SilverSea. We are very distressed that they think so little of their customers that a) they are willing to compromise health and safety; b) have no substantive response other tha corporatespeak; and c) are happy to keep a penalty and loose repeat customers, implying that it's our fault that we are grossed out, and sceptical on how isolated this incident was.

We are in the same situation. Would like to cancel the November cruise, and they do not care. I even received a phone call from them how upset they were about this inspection, and how they have called to get re inspected...the reason THEY SAY is the CDC is too busy

Paul,

Henry,

I hope that you are right about this.

I will hang on for now and look for current reviews, etc.

Paul

Hating to be a party pooper, but for the OP and others that have booked Silversea cruises that do not call on US ports, like the Galapagos, I wouldn't hold my breath that Silversea will do anything onboard with regards to sanitation. The Shadow was caught after returning to the US, with staff that obviously were not trained in USPH standards, and while the ship is in Alaska this season, it will be worked over with a fine tooth comb by management and the USPH. However, I believe that this incident shows that when away from US oversight, the sanitation standards go way down, and USPH training goes out the port hole. Just putting that out there for your consideration when making your decision, which is a hard one.

JMHO.

The bottom line is how many times have people developed food poisoning on board Silverseas ships.The CDC publish a list of those ships visiting the US-

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2013

Silverseas appears once in 2004 when 13 passengers and 5 crew were ill on the Shadow.Cunard does a lot worse.Linblad who run Galapagos cruises appears on the list and also was in trouble for not reporting the outbreak.Crystal and Regent also appear on it.

Doing a Google search the only other report on SS ships was on CC when a passenger reported she got food poisoning on an Asian cruise so probably the Shadow again.

Even the best of places can be caught out and I shouldn't have to remind our UK friends of the "Fat duck"case.People still go there and pay amazing prices.

So I would still go.

The bottom line is how many times have people developed food poisoning on board Silverseas ships.The CDC publish a list of those ships visiting the US-

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2013

Silverseas appears once in 2004 when 13 passengers and 5 crew were ill on the Shadow.Cunard does a lot worse.Linblad who run Galapagos cruises appears on the list and also was in trouble for not reporting the outbreak.Crystal and Regent also appear on it.

Doing a Google search the only other report on SS ships was on CC when a passenger reported she got food poisoning on an Asian cruise so probably the Shadow again.

Even the best of places can be caught out and I shouldn't have to remind our UK friends of the "Fat duck"case.People still go there and pay amazing prices.

So I would still go.

Have you actually read the CDC report? I would agree with your thoughts except- and it is pretty big except- the medical staff were also fudging their reporting of cases of GI disorders. Or "didn't understand" what had to be reported, despite this being a repeat violation. I mean- you get dinged on it once and ok- mistake. But then you learn the required way and don't get dinged again. Anyway, I haven't gone back through all the reports so don't know how often this "mistake" was made. But nevertheless- because of this we really don't know what the true incidence of illnesses is.

And at least one person posting in this set of threads developed hepatitis which she assumed she had to have picked up in Africa (she was on shore for only 1 1/2 days) but now wonders.

Hating to be a party pooper, but for the OP and others that have booked Silversea cruises that do not call on US ports, like the Galapagos, I wouldn't hold my breath that Silversea will do anything onboard with regards to sanitation. The Shadow was caught after returning to the US, with staff that obviously were not trained in USPH standards, and while the ship is in Alaska this season, it will be worked over with a fine tooth comb by management and the USPH. However, I believe that this incident shows that when away from US oversight, the sanitation standards go way down, and USPH training goes out the port hole. Just putting that out there for your consideration when making your decision, which is a hard one.

JMHO.

That thought has occured to me. Although Ecuador has pretty frequent inspections because of their stringent regulations concerning seafood- which is what led to Celebrity losing their pemit for 45 days just a very short time ago. But whether or not they look at other safety issues is anybodies guess.

Hepatitis is not due to spoiled food.When it occurs after a visit to a restaurant etc it may be because there is a hepatitis carrier involved in the food handling but then you would expect a few more cases.Africa though is well known for it's high incidence of hepatitis.

Cant condradict you on what the doctors are told or not told but an alternative explanation may be the doctor's experience.I certainly have doubted the diagnoses given to passengers on cruise ships when I have reviewed the case or just talking to other passengers.

On disclosure mandatory reporting to the CDC kicks in when 2% of the passengers or crew have food poisoning so isolated cases do go unreported.

Hepatitis is not due to spoiled food.When it occurs after a visit to a restaurant etc it may be because there is a hepatitis carrier involved in the food handling but then you would expect a few more cases.Africa though is well known for it's high incidence of hepatitis.

Cant condradict you on what the doctors are told or not told but an alternative explanation may be the doctor's experience.I certainly have doubted the diagnoses given to passengers on cruise ships when I have reviewed the case or just talking to other passengers.

On disclosure mandatory reporting to the CDC kicks in when 2% of the passengers or crew have food poisoning so isolated cases do go unreported.

I realize tht hep is not due to spoiled food but rather unsanitary and unsafe conditions- and, as you say, a carrier. And certainly Africa is a place where it would not be uncommon to pick it up. Until this current episode- nobody would have really considered that it might be off the ship. Now- hard not to at least wonder.

And yes- mandatory reporting kicks in when 2% are sick- but those figures come from the logs. Which were not accurate. Either SS is incredibly lucky that more people have not gotten sick, or something is not quite right in their medical recording. I mean- the CDC felt it necessary to pour hi-potency chlorine into the spoiled food to insure that it was not fed to people. That says something very concerning.

Not to pick nits, but the mandatory reporting is for ANY gastro-intestinal illness above 2% (so that includes noro and other non-food borne illnesses), and what Silversea was found in violation of was that ALL cases of gastro-intestinal illness must be logged in a separate medical log onboard, so that USPH can trend statistics since the last inspection, whether a "reportable" outbreak has occurred or not.

Yes I realise the difference in notifying and logging.Was trying to keep it simple.

I have read the whole report and not logged was a single crew member on 3 different days.I don't know whether it was one particular crew member on each occasion or 3 different crew members.If just one it may have course been another problem and not a case of gastroenteritis.

Again the only incidence of gastro being reported to the CDC is the episode in 2004 on the Shadow.

I also checked here-

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2013.html

Which will pick up at least some of those episodes that occur elsewhere in the world and no other mentions of Silverseas.

So I went back and looked up all the SS ships inspected by the CDC and there is only one other incidence of a score under 90-88 by the Wind in 1996.

If you are going to change cruise lines it might be in order to check those out.Some do not do well either.

As far as I can tell there are only 2 ships that have never scored below 100-both operated by Disney.But if you read here-

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

There are other problems on Disney that might be a turn off.

I am not excusing what happened on the Shadow.It is inexcusable.But if you want a risk free vacation the best decision may be not to give up on Silverseas but give up cruising period.

Archived