Car Service London

I am thinking of booking car service rather than taxi. I am going in October from T5 to hotel and 4 days later back to airport. Question is how far in advance do you book these services? I saw on CC suggestion of these car services Simply airports, justairports, smith and 247airporttransfer. I got email from British air, they have car service. What experience has anyone had with these? Only time I have been to London was overnight at the airport.

We used Totally Driven just this morning. I booked them online several months ago. The driver was there when we arrived at Heathrow and he drove us to a hotel in London. I was very happy and would highly recommend them. The car was well kept and clean. The driver was personable, polite, and helpful with our luggage. He was a safe driver also. I would use them again.

We have used Just Airports 2x - LHR to hotel in Victoria area in 2010 and hotel to LHR in 2011. We will be using them again this August from hotel in Westminster Bridge area to LHR.

They replied promptly to my request. The driver was on time both times.

We used 247 to our London hotel. No problems. Good pricing. Friendly driver.

Quote included waiting time, appropriate size car for luggage etc.

You can book pretty much anytime on line with any of the companies listed. They all will give you a quote to compare.

Just compare small print;)

Thank you for your replies to my question.:) I just don’t want to book to far in advance or not far enough. In past I use cruise transfer or taxi to hotel/ship. When I land travel I get a rental car, shuttle or hotel pick-up. Yes, the hotel in London has a pick-up but price is 140 pounds. Taxi I am not sure of for London. I was reading on CC and Tripadvisor car service seems to fit my situation. Now just a tour to reserve, other than that I am doing HOHO.

• 5 months later...
We used Totally Driven just this morning. I booked them online several months ago. The driver was there when we arrived at Heathrow and he drove us to a hotel in London. I was very happy and would highly recommend them. The car was well kept and clean. The driver was personable, polite, and helpful with our luggage. He was a safe driver also. I would use them again.

Glad to read this review. Thinking of booking with them for our group in July. We have 11 adults with a lot of luggage!

Smithsforairports are based in Southampton/Portsmouth, so Heathrow to London is way out of their patch.

They may decline to quote, or they may quote heavy and on-the-day provide a car/driver of their own if it ties in with another airport job - or sub-contract it out if it doesn't. Good supplier, but I'd be inclined to give them a miss for this journey.

The hotel is quoting £140?:eek:

For a 16-mile journey?

Smiths charge that sort of money for Southampton to central London.:D

I suspect the hotel's quote may be for both ways at £70 each journey.

Nonetheless, other suppliers will be around £45 to £55 per journey.

A couple of weeks' notice will be plenty.

In fact, a couple of days should be OK, so mebbe book one-way then if AOK book via the driver for the return journey.

As eandj comments, check the websites for add-ons.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

As a general rule, for those who prefer not to use the train, a pre-booked private car is by far the best way to get from any of London's Airports to the City. Hailing a 'black' cab at the airport is much more expensive and you may have to queue anyway. I always love to see the guy with my name on a board waiting as I stumble out of customs.

All the firms mentioned seem to be well regarded and the whole service is highly competitive. This keeps the cost down and (especially in these interweb days) the quality up.

You should not expect to pay 'up front' and you should budget for a tip of around 10%. This should vary with the level of service.

As a general rule, for those who prefer not to use the train, a pre-booked private car is by far the best way to get from any of London's Airports to the City. Hailing a 'black' cab at the airport is much more expensive and you may have to queue anyway. I always love to see the guy with my name on a board waiting as I stumble out of customs.

All the firms mentioned seem to be well regarded and the whole service is highly competitive. This keeps the cost down and (especially in these interweb days) the quality up.

You should not expect to pay 'up front' and you should budget for a tip of around 10%. This should vary with the level of service.

I think I'm going to feel "rich and famous" having someone waiting with my name on a board. Thanks for the comment on the tip - I've been wondering how much.

Based on recommendations on this board, we used BA transfer for pickup at Heathrow in October. I signed up online and received a discount but paid in cash at the end of the journey - was 39 pounds plus tip of 10 pounds. Very happy with the service - prompt and courteous. We were at our hotel in the City in less than an hour and were able to sit back and enjoy the rode and not have to worry about changing trains, etc...

Edited by librarylady19

Have used TotallyDriven.co.UK for years. The longer before your trip that you book the cheaper it is. It is also less if paid in advance.(round trip) As for tip 5£ is more than sufficient since 10% in England is a good tip! :)

Edited by orchestrapal