Why Complain? We might now know the answer?

The link posted is to a graduate school curriculum for a new class, "Social Theory Through Complaining." We generally fall into one of two groups, those who complain on cruises habitually and those who don't understand why others complain habitually on cruises. Now, we might know why!

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2013/07/24/special-syllabus-graduate-students-course-social-theory-through-complaining#.UfGfjdl7EkI.facebook:)

The link posted is to a graduate school curriculum for a new class, "Social Theory Through Complaining." We generally fall into one of two groups, those who complain on cruises habitually and those who don't understand why others complain habitually on cruises. Now, we might know why!

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2013/07/24/special-syllabus-graduate-students-course-social-theory-through-complaining#.UfGfjdl7EkI.facebook:)

LOL too funny. Ok, since you did open the topic (a bit in jest) it is something worth discussing. Does it do any good to complain on a cruise (of after the cruise)? Absolutely! But folks that constantly complain (whine) while on their vacations are generally having a miserable time (and making those around them even more miserable). When we have a valid complaint (issue) while on a cruise we take it to the appropriate onboard official (s). But if its an issue that cannot be corrected during the cruise (like lousy food, bad entertainment, etc) we normally make the best of the situation and save the complaining for our written evaluation and CC. Most (if not all) cruise lines now carefully monitor CC and issues raised on these boards can have a huge impact on cruise line policy.

A few years ago there was a lot of complaining about a certain issue at RCCL (now RCI) and we actually defended the cruise line (we were very frequent cruisers even back in those days). Much to our surprise we received an e-mail from a key Vice President of RCCL thanking us for our comments (and suggestions). That executive stayed in touch with us for several years (he eventually left the cruise industry for a better job). A few months later we were on the old Sun Viking and renewed our friendship with the, then, Dining Room Manager. He told us that as a result of comments made on CC, all the line's Dining Room Managers had been called to Miami for a staff meeting where this same executive showed them a handful of CC printouts. As a result of the complaints (and suggestions) made here on CC....the cruise line revamped their policy on all of their ships.

Hank

P.S. If anyone is curious about the specific issue...it had to do with the "over the top" tactics used by RCCL waiters (and other staff) to coerce passengers into giving them high evaluations.

John Heald, the Senior CD on Carnival posts on Facebook. He often posts about people demanding to see him to complain about some problem. No matter how stupid the complaint is he gives in. Someone complained the other day that they were on a ship tour and it rained. Because of the rain, they "could not" get off the bus. He gave them a 50% refund as I recall.

John Heald, the Senior CD on Carnival posts on Facebook. He often posts about people demanding to see him to complain about some problem. No matter how stupid the complaint is he gives in. Someone complained the other day that they were on a ship tour and it rained. Because of the rain, they "could not" get off the bus. He gave them a 50% refund as I recall.

And that is why people complain, because refunds are too often given when they shouldn't be. A complainer gets a partial refund. Did the rest of the people on that tour who didn't complain also get a refund? I doubt it. Now, the complainers have it reinforced to complain.

Complaining is attention seeking behavior for many. They are well aware that Guest Services MUST listen to their complaining, regardless of what. Then they get to take those results and complain to other guests about their experiences with Guest Services. Does not matter if they "got" something or not.

Then guests with similar personalities need to test out their "specialness" and the circle continues.

Best thing the rest of us can do when the complaint is unreasonable and simply disengage, walk away, do not comment....

I think people complain for various reasons.

There is the person who just complains about everything, I'm sure everyone knows someone who does this.

There are those that have seen that others get bottles of wine, refunds, free dinners when they complain to higher ups on a cruise and they will complain about something just to get a perk; this is their goal in life, to get free stuff. These folks would never think to complain to their room steward, dining room manager, customer service, etc., because if they go to an officer they are more likely to get a perk. If the cruise lines would just solve the problems with an apology, instead of freely giving out perks, this would probably stop.

There are those that complain because they truly felt their experience didn't live up to their expectations. They just couldn't see the good, because they were so consumed with what they feel went wrong.

There will always be complainers, it is just the way life is. I don't mind those that have complaints as long as they also point out the good on their cruise, because as far as I see it, even though a cruise might have some problems, no cruise has ever been 100% bad.

I *think* it was $50, not 50%, and was probably around the couple's joint admission fee to the museum that they didn't enter. No one else stayed on the bus; They were all actually admitted to the museum.

I remember reading a review of the Norwegian Epic for which we were getting ready to go on. The couple were very irate because it took their steward several hours to find them a bar of soap. Even though they wanted everyone reading their review to know they were frequent cruisers they expected the ship to supply them with bar soap for their bath instead of what we all know the norm to be, liquid. My Sister and me had a running joke on their demands. How awful it must have been for them to suffer sooo much with out their bar of soap.

And that is why people complain, because refunds are too often given when they shouldn't be. A complainer gets a partial refund. Did the rest of the people on that tour who didn't complain also get a refund? I doubt it. Now, the complainers have it reinforced to complain.

I don't know... My family and I tend to keep everything pretty positive and share good feedback on cruise ships frequently. Everyone works so hard and we like to pass positive comments up the flag pole. We've loved every cruise we've been on and don't see why those of us who are impressed with staff shouldn't have as much of a voice as the complainers. Also, when we do have a serious concern, we always bring it up in contrast with several true highlights of the cruise thus far so they know we're not "those complaining types."

Not that we're looking for any extra perks, but we've been pleasantly surprised by staff's reaction to our praise (extra pillow chocolates, complimentary drinks, extra attention at meal, etc.). I don't share this to boast or to encourage anyone to expect these occasional treats. Rather, I share because we who don't play the complainer card shouldn't come to resent the gestures the "glass half empty" folk are offered to placate their misery. Remember, they leave a sour taste in management's mouth and they have to live with their own sadness on holiday. Even without the little gifts, I wouldn't trade places with them for anything!;)

Sometimes, what seems to be a "complaint" is simply a suggestion for a better way to do things! While I don't complain over one-time mess ups, or slip ups....whatever, if something is truly unworkable, and I see a better way, I will mention it. Sometimes, it really does make a difference and things change!

I can only speak for the Holland America Lines' officers that I have met at "Meet & Greets." Most of them are CC members (lurkers) and DO read these forums.

If they can fix something before it gets raised to "corporate" via a passenger letter, they will do it. Room stewards are the conduit to the top and will not jeopardize a potential tip by leaving an unhappy passenger.

It must also be noted that those who complain much much more than others here on CC are well known to the ship's staffs.

"Crying wolf!!" so often versus constructive criticism yields different results.

Archived