Alaska - HAL Volendam Review with pictures

kristinp36

Am loving your review and photos. I bet you are SO glad you rented a big lens! Especially liked the orca and her young one.

I am even more excited reading your review because we just booked an Alaskan cruise (again) on the Zuiderdam for September. Just can't get enough of the beauty. I love traveling with family (honestly) but this upcoming cruise will just be myself and my husband this time.

Waiting patiently for more of your review. Hope you enjoyed my lovely home town, Vancouver.

Thank you all for the compliments about my photography....it is a big hobby for me and I have spent years understanding aperture, light, shutter speed, etc. Alaska to me was a photographers dream and I took too many photographs to count! :D I am also a huge critic of my own work and often think of better ways I could have captured the scene instead of just looking at the beauty of the photograph...this is something I am trying to break myself of.

Ketchikan.....we awoke to another amazing day of weather

Volendam%20Alaska%20Day%206%20pg%201-XL.jpg

Volendam%20Alaska%20Day%206%20pg%202-XL.jpg

Volendam%20Alaska%20Day%206%20pg%203-XL.jpg

In Ketchikan the ship literally docked RIGHT DOWN TOWN.....it was a few steps to all the shopping and a short walk to some of the sites you read about on CC. I was up early as usual....I had a Misty Fjord Float Plane tour pre-booked with Island Wings. Super excited! We docked at 10 am and my flight wasn't until 12:30 so I had some time to wander around town before I met my shuttle. When you get off the ship there is a visitor center with lots of tour vendors looking for same day bookings. This was our busiest port....there were 3 or 4 ships in port that day.

Sailing into Ketchikan....a few photos before I met our group for breakfast

Alaska%202013-2331-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2330-2-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2333-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2339-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2342-XL.jpg

We meet an Island Wings rep outside of the visitor center.....quick and easy shuttle to their dock about 10 minutes away. Driver was nice and friendly.

Gasing up the plane between flights

Alaska%202013-2357-XL.jpg

For the first half of the flight I was able to ride in the co-pilot seat. It was really neat to be in front but I think the photo ops would have been better from the back. The plane was a 7 seater including pilot. It was a beautiful De Havilland plane....I think Michelle, the pilot, said it was a 1950 ish. I did find there was a really bad glare in most of my pictures from the orange jacket I was wearing. But the experience was amazing I just don't have the best photos from it.

Alaska%202013-2361-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2363-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2364-XL.jpg

After flying for a while Island Wings lands within the Misty Fjord National Park and taxi's to shore where we able to get out and spend about 30 minutes taking in the silence and grandeur of Alaska. According to Michelle she is one of the only tour guides that does this....others land but only let you out on the plane floats or a dock not on land. She has to pay the park service for every person she flies to provide this service.

Landing

Alaska%202013-2413-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2419-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2422-XL.jpg

Great Pictures! We're headed out next week and I hope to get some good ones too. I'll have to meet up with your photography group this fall. Can you tell me how?

Vic

I would love for you to join our group...I have not been too active this summer due to work but should be doing more in the fall.

http://www.meetup.com

Search Portland for Women Learning Photography Together

Have a great cruise....it was amazing and I am already thinking of taking another!

Back to your previously scheduled review.....Float Plane Tour

Some things to note about Island Wings.....Michelle is the owner and only pilot. She has been flying in Alaska for 17 years (pretty sure this is what she said). She went for 1 season and has been there every sense! When taking off you do hear all the conversations with the pilots and the air traffic tower. The water way that runs through Ketchikan is considered a runway. It was fun to listen to the tower. Most of the planes flown were Beavers and Otters....so imagine a Beaver coming inbound from the South and an Otter waiting to take-off from near such and such point. Kinda funny to listen to! After take off and about 5 minutes of flight time Michelle turns off the tower and turns on some music....we all had headphones and mics where we could ask all the questions we wanted and Michelle answered them.

After landing up in Misty Fjords National Park Michelle took pictures of everyone with the plane and scenery. She did this with our own camera and cell phones....which was great because I could post to Facebook about my ride as soon as we got back to town! She was funny she took pictures close up and far far away so you could get an idea of how majestic the area was.

Alaska%202013-2427-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-2432-XL.jpg

Several of us also wanted a picture with Michelle

Alaska%202013-2435-XL.jpg

There were wild flowers and seaweed....it was a really beautiful spot

Alaska%202013-2454-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-2451-XL.jpg