Alaska - HAL Volendam Review with pictures

kristinp36

We decided that we would all meet at the Lido for lunch at 1.....it was a little challenging to find a table, took about 15 minutes. Once we had our table we took turns going to get food. It was BUSY. There seemed to be confusion about the layout of the buffet. Some people got in line and moved from station to station as the line moved. Others cut in to the line at which ever station they were interested in eating at. I could see this causing some tension with people.

This seemed to continue to be the case throughout the cruise. We at mainly in the MDR since it was more relaxing. I think I ate 2 breakfasts and 3 lunches total in the buffet/Lido.

While we were eating one of the waitstaff came by and did a small "trick" for us. He balanced a fork on 2 toothpicks and made it balance. We had seen this done once before on RC but it was at the dinner table not the buffet. Takes a steady hand to balance with all the action of the buffet!

Alaska%202013-0705-L.jpg

Nice pictures, good reflections of the mountains. We have done Alaska twice, once out of Vancouver the other out of Seattle. Seattle was real easy with a friend taking us to the dock and taking care of our car. We are doing another 14 day cruise from Seattle next year. Looking forward to more of your review and pictures!

OK, since we are photographers also, what type of camera and lens do you use?

Nice pictures, good reflections of the mountains. We have done Alaska twice, once out of Vancouver the other out of Seattle. Seattle was real easy with a friend taking us to the dock and taking care of our car. We are doing another 14 day cruise from Seattle next year. Looking forward to more of your review and pictures!

OK, since we are photographers also, what type of camera and lens do you use?

I just upgraded to a Canon Mark 5d III.....had only used it a few times prior to the cruise but I had a 50d before that.

Most of the pics were taken with my 24-70L....I also rented a 100-400L.

Fun trip report and beautiful pix! I've taken hundreds of pix of whales (or tried to) and never gotten such a perfect tail!

Your dad looks as happy as a clam. I hope he had a wonderful trip!

One of my other favorite things about HAL's Volendam is the access to the Bow. Out of all my cruises this was the first one where I was able to access the bow. I spent a lot of time out there from sail-away to leaving each port and definitely cruising Glacier Bay.

HAL still does their Muster Drill on the deck with everyone packed together like sardines. It was semi-overcast but dry and not hot so it was tolerable but I miss the Muster Drills indoors.

Prior to the Muster Drill I wandered around the exterior of the ship to take some pictures. I really liked sailing out of Vancouver.....it was neat to see the city and skyscrapers right at the port.

Outside of Canada Place from the ship

Alaska%202013-0712-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-0715-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-0722-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-0731-L.jpg

Then we headed to the Bow for sail-away....you can access it via deck 3.

The bow can also be accessed from deck 4/Promenade Deck. This is an inside route, and a lot easier than the climbing necessary from Lower Promenade.

Time for my first dinner on a HAL ship. We booked our cruise about 6 weeks for sailing and were not able to get a set dining time so we called when we got on board and reserved a 5:30 dining time. A little early for me but everyone else seemed pleased. This was my first time trying ATD on any cruise and I am not sure how I feel about it. We normally have set dining at the early timeslot (6 pm). With our group of 8 having a set dining time would have worked better so we all knew where and when to meet without having to discuss each day.

I tried to switch to set dining on board but we were told no. When we checked in for our first dinner we asked about setting up a permanent reservation and were told that they would do that for us at 5:30. We were happy but the reservation continued to be a problem for most of the cruise. I don't have any food pictures...sorry for those that like them.

Overall the food was good....not better or worse than the food I have had on Carnival or Royal C. The big disappointment was the desserts. They just were not good or impressive....but the end of the week most of us were just getting ice cream for dessert. Too bad.

I took a few pictures around the ship....

On the Lido deck near the pool

Alaska%202013-0693-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-0699-L.jpg

Silly....but I LOVED that they had real towels in the bathroom.

Alaska%202013-0799-L.jpg

The family made a tradition of playing cards every night in the Hudson Room....this was a nice place to hang out as a family. Only used occasionally but others. I also recommend taking a quick trip down the stairs to the theater and grabbing some popcorn to enjoy while you play cards.

Most evenings I left the family in the Hudson Room and went out on deck to take pictures.

Night 1.....

Alaska%202013-0815-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-0842-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-0866-XL.jpg

One thing to note: Our group enjoyed the option of the main dining room being open for breakfast and lunch. We did find the hours fairly limited so we had to make sure we paid attention to the time. For both meals the dining room was only open for 1 - 1.5 hours.

Main Theater

_C1A2646-XL.jpg

Futuristic Atrium

_C1A2601-L.jpg

_C1A2602-XL.jpg

Nicest women's restroom I have ever seen at sea.....by the main dining room....not the best color but still great. FYI - I have never taken a picture of a cruise ship bathroom before!

Multiple make-up stations....with ocean view

Alaska%202013-0919-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-0925-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-0920-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-0922-XL.jpg

Dad and I are early birds......I was up around 5:30 and he was already gone. Mom on the other hand would sleep until noon if we let her. This was a sea day which is one of my favorite days. Especially the first sea day on a new ship. Lots of time to explore.

Before the cruise I had already decided to take advantage of the showers in the gym/spa. Being an early bird I was always alone. The showers were large and the gym had a hairdryer to use. It was a quiet start to my mornings and allowed my Dad to use the bathroom in the room.

After getting ready I wandered around the ship and found my shelf relaxing in the Crow's Nest alternating between taking in the scenery and playing solitaire on my ipad. Great chairs! You can also see the fresh flowers. I loved that HAL still has fresh flowers on the ship.

Alaska%202013-0879-XL.jpg

The family agreed to meet for breakfast at 8:30 each day.....as the cruise continued less and less people showed up for breakfast each day. We never had to wait for a table so it was a nice relaxing way to start the day. Favorite breakfast items were the omelets and the Belgium waffles w/strawberry compote. Yummy. Mom never did make it to breakfast but that was not a surprise to anyone...she got room service a few times but generally does not each breakfast and takes 2 hours to get ready.....:eek: I don't know what she does for 2 hours but she says she can't do it any quicker.

I forgot to mention NIGHT number 1 DRAMA. We had a few problems with our cabin on this cruise. Earlier I mentioned how hot our room was when we boarded and we assumed it would cool down after we sailed. This did not happen. The first night the room was really really hot. Dad and I were pretty miserable. Our thermostat was set on the coldest setting but nothing was happening. It probably did not help that mom needs oxygen when she sleeps at night so we had 3 adults and a oxygen concentration unit going all night. It still should not have been so hot so we reported it the next day to guest services and they said someone would come and check it.

Help we are melting.....

Alaska%202013-0941-XL.jpg

That was not the real drama though.....Mom is a huge advocate of baths so imagine her excitement to have a tub in the room. She took a bath the first night of the cruise after Dad and I went to sleep....we were awoken to her screams at 1 am. Day 1 ....really...already...I knew this was going to be "interesting".