Alaska - HAL Volendam Review with pictures

kristinp36

Headed back to Juneau after an amazing day....what could make it better you ask....Orcas! Mom and Baby. Again, Allen Marine were great about slowing down and letting us enjoy the moment. The Orca family came up to the boat and swam around it before leaving.

Alaska%202013-1575-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-1577-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-1597-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-1598-3-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-1599-XL.jpg

Once we arrived in Juneau we actually boarded the Volendam through the "tender" doors....Dad and I were pretty hungry so found some food then I headed into town. One of my FAVORITE things about the Alaskan cruise was the proximity to the towns. Everything was centered around where the ships dock....unlike the Caribbean where sometimes it is an adventure just to get to town.

Downtown Juneau

Alaska%202013-1624-XL.jpg

Wow, your Glacier Bay photos are absolutely stunning! I was on the exact same cruise as you this year except mine departed on May 1st. I am so jealous, our Glacier Bay day was all gross and foggy :( shows how weather can be so fickle. :/ Loving the review by the way! ^^

P.S. You photos are fantastic!! That's so awesome being in a little boat at Tracy Arm, you can see so much more that way! (I was there once before, but how much can you really see from Deck 4? LOL)

Edited by lovely_serenity

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience with us....really enjoyed it! Your pictures are beautiful, it is truly a photographer's paradise up there.....I know I came home with probably 1,000 pictures. I was not prepared for the overwhelming beauty I saw on that trip!! Would love to do it again!

Beautiful photos. My first trip to Alaska was with my parents (I had my own room though)and when I told my father I would be going back there for my honeymoon with a trip up to Denali he was very jealous. I told him I will go anytime, its the only vacation he really ever wants to take.

Edited by x lindsay x

Wow, your Glacier Bay photos are absolutely stunning! I was on the exact same cruise as you this year except mine departed on May 1st. I am so jealous, our Glacier Bay day was all gross and foggy :( shows how weather can be so fickle. :/ Loving the review by the way! ^^

P.S. You photos are fantastic!! That's so awesome being in a little boat at Tracy Arm, you can see so much more that way! (I was there once before, but how much can you really see from Deck 4? LOL)

We had amazing weather.... I've already joked that I want to go back but would be tempting fate with the chances if such great weather again. People were wearing shorts during our Glacier Bay time!

Thanks for the compliments on my photos.... Yours are great too. I started ready your review before we cruised but you had not completed it yet.

Awful to hear about your room maintenance issues. Seems to be a running theme in recent reviews. Head scratcher.

Great series of sunset photos. The whales + wildlife are deftly composed :) and I love how contrasty the glacial ice + rock ones are. Thanks for sharing your moments

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience with us....really enjoyed it! Your pictures are beautiful, it is truly a photographer's paradise up there.....I know I came home with probably 1,000 pictures. I was not prepared for the overwhelming beauty I saw on that trip!! Would love to do it again!

The whole reason I wanted to go was for taking pictures....what I didn't expect was how incredibly beautiful it was. The weather helped but I even got choked up once. Pictures will never do Alaska it's full justice!

My favorite part of the cruise was the 2 hours I spent on a lounge chair on deck 3 just watching the scenery go by while we left Glacier Bay. So beautiful...and so PEACEFUL.

We had amazing weather.... I've already joked that I want to go back but would be tempting fate with the chances if such great weather again. People were wearing shorts during our Glacier Bay time!

Thanks for the compliments on my photos.... Yours are great too. I started ready your review before we cruised but you had not completed it yet.

I know the feeling! We had the exact same experience at Hubbard Glaciers! We got clear skies and sun, which is apparently super rare, and we're pretty sure that if we visit again, we're gonna be met with disgusting weather LOL.

you're welcome :)! && thank you! ^^ I DO remember you following my review! Ahaha, yeah sorry bout that, I took forever to finish it, but nonetheless, it's done now! :D

I'm loving your review! You're pictures are getting me really excited for my family's cruise on the Oosterdam next year. I actually really appreciate the pictures of the daily On Locations. It's nice to get at least an idea of what the activities are going to be like. I hope you continue to have a wonderful time!

Alaska%202013-1650-XL.jpg

These blankets were on all the outside decks that has lounge chairs.

Alaska%202013-1666-XL.jpg

Alaska%202013-1640-XL.jpg

Mom and all 3 guys took the train for the day....so I was on my own. I decided to just walk to town and look around. It is about a 10 minute walk to town but they also had shuttle service. I think it was $2 each way.

Alaska%202013-1686-XL.jpg