*Rant* default payment amount

tree.critter

I wish my memory was a little better so this wouldn't have happened again this morning to me.......

Went to manage my cruise to make payment on 4/5/14 cruise. Filled out all payment info with amount I wanted to pay ($200) hit enter and something filled in was incorrect so it went back to page, I corrected the info and resubmitted. Excellent, it went through like a charm........ then I get the "We can't wait to welcome you aboard" note with payment info showing zero balance. It had defaulted to pay balance option again also and my cruise was paid in full...... call Carnival, they authorized refund for overpayment to my debit card...... now I get to wait up to 5-7 days for my bank to credit me back.

I sure as heck wish they would remove the default of pay balance in full and just make people choose it or smaller amount, seems like such an easy adjustment to make. CS said that this happens often, it was the second time for me but it was about 2 years ago and I just forgot about that. Slap me!!

One thing I have to say though, if this is the only thing I've found irritating so far I'm in pretty good shape:p Only waited on hold a couple minutes at most and CS rep knew right away what my problem was and how to correct it.

Still..... they should may Pay in Full opt in instead of default. Had a feeling I wasn't alone, may send corporate a note politely asking for change while they're working on the rates program.

I have never done that with Carnival, but did do it with paying a credit card, well kind of. I put in a custom amount and instead of paying 500, I ended up paying 5000. And this was before I went on vacation so I was overdrawn in that account for a week. Yikes.

Two family members sailing last summer and splitting a cabin had this happen also. They booked on a Friday, and the system had reset to the default of payment in full instead of paying the amount they wanted, which for one of them was half of the total amount due, which covered the deposit for both. By that upcoming Tuesday/Wednesday, everything was back to normal, but they paid used a debit card in place of a credit card. They took it in stride as they just had their income taxes deposited, so it wouldn't throw their account into being overdrafted with the their other bills and payments coming out.

I did something similar with a hotel reservation! :eek: except it defaulted back to that days date instead of the date I was looking for... booked it then got the confirmation that I was past the cancel time... I freaked out.... needless to say it wasn't an easy fix!:(

I did it once. I was booking on line for the valor last year (around april or so, and cruise in December), went on line to pay the deposit only, and accidently (ok ok, I didn't read it lol) the box "pay full cruise amount" was highlighted and clicked confirmed. I receive the email that says BALANCE DUE..$0.00. I was like WHAT?!?! :eek:. thankfully I had the money and my aunt paid me her half right away. oops. now I read and check things over and over

Whew! Scary. . . That is why I keep an account that I will transfer money into it to pay for special bills that will not tie back to my main account. I know this could be cumbersome for some, but the banks are on the same street on my way home!

I had a near miss with this. It's a deliberate maneuver on Carnival's part to extract the full price of the cruise immediately. Configuring a non-default (blank) amount is actually a tiny bit easier for a programmer than having 100% amount programmed in. Not ethical, in my opinion.

I wish my memory was a little better so this wouldn't have happened again this morning to me.......

Went to manage my cruise to make payment on 4/5/14 cruise. Filled out all payment info with amount I wanted to pay ($200) hit enter and something filled in was incorrect so it went back to page, I corrected the info and resubmitted. Excellent, it went through like a charm........ then I get the "We can't wait to welcome you aboard" note with payment info showing zero balance. It had defaulted to pay balance option again also and my cruise was paid in full...... call Carnival, they authorized refund for overpayment to my debit card...... now I get to wait up to 5-7 days for my bank to credit me back.

I sure as heck wish they would remove the default of pay balance in full and just make people choose it or smaller amount, seems like such an easy adjustment to make. CS said that this happens often, it was the second time for me but it was about 2 years ago and I just forgot about that. Slap me!!

I have booked before and accidently overpaid as well.....Called Carnival and they did their refund as well.....However you mentioned that you have to wait for the bank to credit you account back the funds......actually it is not up to the bank it is actually up to the merchant (Carnival in this case). Usually it will take 2-3 business days.....if it happens on Friday then most likely will be back to you by Monday or Tuesday.

Unfortuneatly, this happens on most sites when you are redirected to correct information on a form. I have had my credit card info deleted and had to input the info again. I have learned that whenever a site sends me back to the form for more info to check all the info on the form before clicking on submit.

Anytime an ACH happens and has to be reversed it takes anywhere from three to seven business days to be settled. The banking industry and their clearing house is the root of the problem in your case, not Carnival. There are people out there that would do this intentionally to scam CCL, so the rest of us have to have our funds tied up to protect CCL from a financial loss.

It's 8:00 am Monday morning, first business date after I made my error, just checked my online banking and all my funds have been refunded and credited to reverse my error. I am so happy with my bank and Carnival for making this as painless as possible. Very beginning of first business day after error, not bad at all:)

Tonight after work I sit down and pay my monthly bills without worry....... and I bet that I won't make this kind of error again!

It's 8:00 am Monday morning, first business date after I made my error, just checked my online banking and all my funds have been refunded and credited to reverse my error. I am so happy with my bank and Carnival for making this as painless as possible. Very beginning of first business day after error, not bad at all:)

Tonight after work I sit down and pay my monthly bills without worry....... and I bet that I won't make this kind of error again!

We live and learn. Glad it has worked out for you.

Archived