Chairhogs?

inforem

To throw a little fuel on the fire: Why are there suggested time limits on the use of gym equipment, but not on use of the same chair? In both cases there are limited numbers of equipment. If deemed to be considered inconsiderate in one case, why not the other? Perhaps the use of gym equipment should also be limitless. Seems like pure discrimination against workout freaks. By the by: I use the gym as much as I use pool loungers: Never.

Please pass the butter.

Chair hogging is why an aft cabin is soooo special on a sea day ------- great view, quiet, sun and shade and cabin service. Perfect.:)

You are absolutely right.On my recent Summit cruise to Bermuda,we had A1 cabin 1138 and spent my sea days on my balcony.#1138 is aft.Why get involved with the chair hogs.

To throw a little fuel on the fire: Why are there suggested time limits on the use of gym equipment, but not on use of the same chair? In both cases there are limited numbers of equipment. If deemed to be considered inconsiderate in one case, why not the other? Perhaps the use of gym equipment should also be limitless. Seems like pure discrimination against workout freaks. By the by: I use the gym as much as I use pool loungers: Never.

Please pass the butter.

Gym equipment time is limited because there are many times actual people waiting for equipment that is actually in use.

There are almost always (I would say always, but I can't prove that) more Sun loungers than there are actual people present wanting to use them. BUT so many loungers are being hogged by people who are not in the vicinity (I count in the pool, the restroom, getting a cone, etc. as being in the vicinity), that sometimes it can be hard to find one. No need to limit time in the loungers if you got rid of the chair hogs. I have seen people "claim" their favorite lounger before leaving for a shore excusion:mad::eek:

Thom

These threads always make me so glad I'm not a sunseeker!

To the OP: that's not chair-hogging, as most people understand it. Chair hogging is what an earlier person described (I'm not sure if the early-birds/late-risers post was in jest or not - I'm giving that poster the benefit of the doubt): "saving" a chair for yourself or another person who isn't there yet. People who do that are obnoxious.

Does anyone have an opinion on what groups represent the majority of chair hogs: 20/30 something's, "Matriarch" of the family for the whole group etc?

Does anyone have an opinion on what groups represent the majority of chair hogs: 20/30 something's, "Matriarch" of the family for the whole group etc?

Am I chair hogging if I go up to a particular area, get a cup of coffee, settle in with a book and reserve the lounge next to me for my wife who is always a little slow in getting going in the morning?

Am I chair hogging if I go up to a particular area, get a cup of coffee, settle in with a book and reserve the lounge next to me for my wife who is always a little slow in getting going in the morning?
Since I think that there is policy (rarely enforced) that chairs empty for 30 minutes may be cleared, I would think that if her "little slow" is more than 30 minutes, you are in fact a chair hog. BUT if you are there so early that there are plenty of comparable (sunny, shady, by the pool, whatever) empty chairs then I'd certainly not argue with you for that chair versus another.

Thom

No that is not chair hogging.

Chair hogging would be if in addition to reserving a lounge for your wife you also reserved 6 other lounges for your friends just in case they showed up sometime during the day even though you don't know if or when they will.

Chair hogging would also be doing this at 9AM when your wife has a massage and haircut appointment that morning but you want the chair in case she comes by after lunch.

Chair hogging would also be doing what you said but instead of sitting and reading while while waiting you just put your stuff on the chairs, went to work out in the gym, went to breakfast, stopped by the cabin for a bit, then headed back to sit in your chairs which looked occupied when others had been trying to find a chair while you were gone an hour or two or three.

No that is not chair hogging.

Chair hogging would be if in addition to reserving a lounge for your wife you also reserved 6 other lounges for your friends just in case they showed up sometime during the day even though you don't know if or when they will.

Chair hogging would also be doing this at 9AM when your wife has a massage and haircut appointment that morning but you want the chair in case she comes by after lunch.

Chair hogging would also be doing what you said but instead of sitting and reading while while waiting you just put your stuff on the chairs, went to work out in the gym, went to breakfast, stopped by the cabin for a bit, then headed back to sit in your chairs which looked occupied when others had been trying to find a chair while you were gone an hour or two or three.

This entire issue is so disheartening. So much time, effort and agada about an issue that should not even need to be discussed. Think a big part of it is the size of ships today. We have been on a lot, I mean a lot of Celebrity cruises (over 30) We have also sailed on Carnival, Princess, RCCL, and Regent. On the Zenith (rest her soul) Century and the M class ships we never had this problem. First of all, we never went to the pool deck, just the upper decks. Second, there was a lot of space in between chaise lounges. There also were small tables to put your stuff. A few weeks ago we came back from our first S class cruise. The chaise lounges were pushed up against each other so when you did find one you liked you had to climb into it from the end, literally inches from your new neighbors. Then the problem of what to do with your bag, book etc, put them on your lap? God forbid your neighbors start to spread on the sun screen and its associated noxious smells. Maybe we could do each other's backs...uggg, shiver. Now I need to go potty. Guess I somehow have to slither down the end of the lounge and gracefully try to stand, without tipping the chair. Are you kidding? Never, never did we have any of these kinds of issues on the smaller ships. Why are we talking about this in the first place? The fact that this topic generates such passion, in of itself, makes the words cruise and vacation an oxymoron. Last March our son in law treated us to a week in a $12,000 a week four bedroom condo in Turks and Caicos. Never once was there an issue of space, either at the pool or at the beach. That's why we have three cruises on the board for next year.

We usually cruise with a bunch of people' date=' some are late risers, while some are real early risers. Is it wrong for the early birds to claim loungers this way all of us can be together near the pool?[/quote']

Of course it is "wrong" for you to reserve loungers for people who don't show up til later. You know it is, you are just hoping a few people jump in to give you support. Sheesh.

Gym equipment time is limited because there are many times actual people waiting for equipment that is actually in use.

There are almost always (I would say always, but I can't prove that) more Sun loungers than there are actual people present wanting to use them. BUT so many loungers are being hogged by people who are not in the vicinity (I count in the pool, the restroom, getting a cone, etc. as being in the vicinity), that sometimes it can be hard to find one. No need to limit time in the loungers if you got rid of the chair hogs. I have seen people "claim" their favorite lounger before leaving for a shore excusion:mad::eek:

Thom

Not necessarily the case. Yes, people do wait for gym equipment because there is a time limit and they know that a piece will be vacated within a time frame and they can stand around and wait for it. However, people who want a chair wouldn't normally just stand around. They would just walk away in the hope of finding a chair in another location. Like trying to find a parking space at the mall. Of course you could always have a person who just lucks waiting for a spot as some do at the mall, but that's the exception. Think that people should just be courteous and show respect to others whatever the situation. That's probably the best rule.

We usually cruise with a bunch of people' date=' some are late risers, while some are real early risers. Is it wrong for the early birds to claim loungers this way all of us can be together near the pool?[/quote']

Yes, this is an example of a chair hoggin. It is wrong and rude.

You're just Feelin' Nauti and trying to stir things up. Good job!

The obvious facetious posting is missed by many.

You named yourself appropriately. :D

After reading this thread I now remember what I hate most about cruising... 4 months until I have to deal with the trauma/drama of finding a deck lounger to just read and enjoy "my" vacation.

Wow! Now that's the attitude. What else is on the hate list? :confused:

Archived