Now the dust has settled - what alternatives to wine

Wastegirl

It has been an interesting few days to say the least. Our New Zealand trip is saved, DH can now bring his purchases on from the Ports, he is a happy chappy. However there is our South Pacific cruise in March/April 2014, under the new policy (if it is not amended again).

DH is not so concerned about this one, tropical weather and all means wine is a lesser issue though he still has concerns because of the abysmal HAL wine list.

What suggestions are there for alternatives. For instance my DH loves beer in the hot weather, but tends to enjoy that in the middle of the day - that's lunch taken care of. He enjoys Brandy & Dry Ginger, Gin & Tonic, Scotch & Soda - that's pre dinner taken care of. None of these things he likes to drink with his dinner whether at the Lido or MDR.

So this leaves our 2 wine allocation for our Pinnacle Grill Dinners and the need to purchase wine for all the others. Or are there alternatives, for instance Champagne Cocktails or Sangria (anyone tried it).

I did suggest he go non alcoholic but let us say the dirty look I got was answer enough. I am not concerned about myself, I will just work my way through the cocktail list:)

Any of you have other 'alcoholic' suggestions as alternatives to wine?

Does the new policy now allow us to bring wine in the ports we visit on our cruise? Yesterday I read that bringing wine on when embarking was now back on the agenda until the 31st January, but I didn't read that the embargo on bringing wine on board when in a port had been lifted as you mention above.

Can someone verify this please.

Jennie

It is one of the Drinks of the Day, but we enjoyed it so much it is now our HAL tradition to start and say good by on all our trips now: The Tropa-Mango-Mojito. (Not just the Tropa-Mojito, but the Tropa-Mango-Mojito -it looks like a pink slurpee and felt silly the first time we ordered it - what no umbrella!, but loved the fresh mint taste with just the right tart/sweet fruit combo). It says ...cruisin' ..... to us now.

Actually we discovered this when cruising out of Sydney Harbor - what a spectacular combination.

Does the new policy now allow us to bring wine in the ports we visit on our cruise?
Since the new policy has been delayed, the "old" policy is still in effect: all you want from every port.

It amazes me that wine drinkers/wine lovers cannot find a single wine, not one, they can order off HAL's wine list.

DH and I have had some very good wines on HAL ships. It is quite remarkable to me there is not a single red or white wine that is acceptable or adequate for so many on this forum. :eek:

For a white, have you tried Cloudy Bay or Villa Maria sauvignon blanc? There is always a decent pinot grigio offered, as well.

Have you tried the Silverados? L'ecole? Really...... read the list and you may surprise yourself you can enjoy something other than your usual 'preferred'. Broaden your horizons. Isn't that some of what we gain from travel?

It amazes me that wine drinkers/wine lovers cannot find a single wine, not one, they can order off HAL's wine list.

DH and I have had some very good wines on HAL ships. It is quite remarkable to me there is not a single red or white wine that is acceptable or adequate for so many on this forum. :eek:

For a white, have you tried Cloudy Bay or Villa Maria sauvignon blanc? There is always a decent pinot grigio offered, as well.

Have you tried the Silverados? L'ecole? Really...... read the list and you may surprise yourself you can enjoy something other than your usual 'preferred'. Broaden your horizons. Isn't that some of what we gain from travel?

DH enjoyed the HAL offerings of Silverado Cabernet, Souverein Cabernet, and for me the Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label (Valentine's surprise). He agrees the wine packages overall could be improved, but the ships have never been devoid of perfectly good choices. Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc ranks right up there with the best of the best according to book "Judgement at Paris" which recommended many regional wines to treasure from around the world; no longer just from France.

Sail,

I am so happy that some New Zealand wines are on the wine list. I do hope there are some good Pinot's as well for my DH. I love a good N.Z. Sav Blanc and a Pinot Grigio from Italy would do me so I will be satisfied. I wonder if there are any good Australian wines as well. Such as a good Barossa Valley wine such as Penfolds or even closer to home our Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula.

Jennie

DH enjoyed the HAL offerings of Silverado Cabernet, Souverein Cabernet, and for me the Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label (Valentine's surprise). He agrees the wine packages overall could be improved, but the ships have never been devoid of perfectly good choices. Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc ranks right up there with the best of the best according to book "Judgement at Paris" which recommended many regional wines to treasure from around the world; no longer just from France.

Thank you. :)

I've been reading again and again how dismal HAL's wine list is and while there are a number of wines that don't interest us, we never fail to find a bottle we can enjoy each evening with our dinner.

We don't get the wine packages as the one time we tried and we saw the list, there were no offerings that appealed to us. We have not looked at a recent list so perhaps there are better choices now than when we last looked. It's too bad as we are five star and would get a nice discount but no discount is worth anything if buying something we don't want.

When we were introduced to Cloudy Bay/Villa Maria on HAL ships, they quickly became wines we look forward to and save to only drink while aboard. We almost never order them at home.

I think for some, with a more educated palate than I certainly have, there is a science to selecting the right wine to pair with one's situation - be that w/ a piece of local cheese and fresh bread purchased ashore, or w/ dinner in MDR. How much revision has there been to HAL's wine list? Has it kept up w/ the menu and/or regional recipe revisions on board? How much local product is sourced?

For the more value conscious of us, how much evolution has there been in the wine package selections since they have been introduced? Any? - other than a bottle here or there? Honestly, can wine that can be purchased in shipping container volumes compare to a local find?

My palate tends to be fairly narrow -- chardonnays and cabs / shiraz with mebbe the occasional pinot noir for variety. When I look at HAL's wine list, I see a narrow and quite frankly pedestrian selection -- egregiously marked up. And I am from Ontario, where excise, sales tax and sin tax can double the price of a bottle of wine - so I generally don't get sticker shock.

I understand, and support HAL's economic decision here -- I have always thought that their alcohol policy was extraordinarily liberal, But I do think the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction. Hopefully w/ this self-imposed moratorium / customer education period until January 2014, a more appropriate middle ground can be found. I would never ever dream of bringing a case onboard for personal consumption, but certainly a souvenir bottle here and there might be a more reasonable alternative.

Scott.

Here are the wines presently offered for the "Indulgences" packages on our upcoming Prinsendam cruise (Sept 2013) Most likely subject to change:

Navigator's package: $248 - choice of 7 bottles

Mondavi Private Selection J Riesling, Monkey Bay Chardonnay, Caliterra Chardonnay, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Sylvester Kiarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio, Veramonte Merlot, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Remole I Frescaboldi and Twin Fin Shiraz.

Admiral's package - choice of 7 bottles - $336

Four Emus Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer Columbia Winery, Silverado Sauvignon Blanc, Laboure Roi Macon Villages, Franciscan Chardonnay, I AM ROSE, Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, The Jobe Pinot Noir, Niner Merlot, Chianti Castiglioni Frescaboldi, Blackstone Syrah and Icon Ravenswood.

Sail,

I am so happy that some New Zealand wines are on the wine list. I do hope there are some good Pinot's as well for my DH. I love a good N.Z. Sav Blanc and a Pinot Grigio from Italy would do me so I will be satisfied. I wonder if there are any good Australian wines as well. Such as a good Barossa Valley wine such as Penfolds or even closer to home our Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula.

Jennie

Jennie,

Contrary to the dismal reports we've read here these last days, there are some perfectly decent wines on HAL's lists. I hope you find wines you can enjoy. We always manage with minimal effort. :)

Here are the wines presently offered for the "Indulgences" packages on our upcoming Prinsendam cruise (Sept 2013) Most likely subject to change:

Navigator's package: $248 - choice of 7 bottles

Mondavi Private Selection J Riesling, Monkey Bay Chardonnay, Caliterra Chardonnay, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Sylvester Kiarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio, Veramonte Merlot, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Remole I Frescaboldi and Twin Fin Shiraz.

Admiral's package - choice of 7 bottles - $336

Four Emus Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer Columbia Winery, Silverado Sauvignon Blanc, Laboure Roi Macon Villages, Franciscan Chardonnay, I AM ROSE, Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, The Jobe Pinot Noir, Niner Merlot, Chianti Castiglioni Frescaboldi, Blackstone Syrah and Icon Ravenswood.

It is basically the same list as the last few years. If you like whites I recommend the Navigator package and if you like reds, the Admiral package - assuming you want to use these packages.

sorry I have tried to edit twice and cc is timing out - there is N.Z. wine missing off that Navigator's Package (if you like whites). In any case, I recommend you see what they have on board before you purchase.

Jennie,

Contrary to the dismal reports we've read here these last days, there are some perfectly decent wines on HAL's lists. I hope you find wines you can enjoy. We always manage with minimal effort. :)

Let's just agree to disagree - after 30 days - limited selections are somewhat frustrating;) people on shorter cruises are just fine. Longer cruises - different story

I think for some, with a more educated palate than I certainly have, there is a science to selecting the right wine to pair with one's situation - be that w/ a piece of local cheese and fresh bread purchased ashore, or w/ dinner in MDR. How much revision has there been to HAL's wine list? Has it kept up w/ the menu and/or regional recipe revisions on board? How much local product is sourced?

For the more value conscious of us, how much evolution has there been in the wine package selections since they have been introduced? Any? - other than a bottle here or there? Honestly, can wine that can be purchased in shipping container volumes compare to a local find?

My palate tends to be fairly narrow -- chardonnays and cabs / shiraz with mebbe the occasional pinot noir for variety. When I look at HAL's wine list, I see a narrow and quite frankly pedestrian selection -- egregiously marked up. And I am from Ontario, where excise, sales tax and sin tax can double the price of a bottle of wine - so I generally don't get sticker shock.

I understand, and support HAL's economic decision here -- I have always thought that their alcohol policy was extraordinarily liberal, But I do think the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction. Hopefully w/ this self-imposed moratorium / customer education period until January 2014, a more appropriate middle ground can be found. I would never ever dream of bringing a case onboard for personal consumption, but certainly a souvenir bottle here and there might be a more reasonable alternative.

Scott.

the wine selection has been the same basically since we started sailing HAL. I haven't seen many changes other than when we did South America and they brought wines from the ports on board. I haven't seen that since

I think for some, with a more educated palate than I certainly have, there is a science to selecting the right wine to pair with one's situation - ......[/b]

Let's face it. In European homes it is often a jug on the table, rustic glass tumblers and the question red or white? Works.

It has been an interesting few days to say the least. Our New Zealand trip is saved, DH can now bring his purchases on from the Ports, he is a happy chappy. However there is our South Pacific cruise in March/April 2014, under the new policy (if it is not amended again).

DH is not so concerned about this one, tropical weather and all means wine is a lesser issue though he still has concerns because of the abysmal HAL wine list.

What suggestions are there for alternatives. For instance my DH loves beer in the hot weather, but tends to enjoy that in the middle of the day - that's lunch taken care of. He enjoys Brandy & Dry Ginger, Gin & Tonic, Scotch & Soda - that's pre dinner taken care of. None of these things he likes to drink with his dinner whether at the Lido or MDR.

So this leaves our 2 wine allocation for our Pinnacle Grill Dinners and the need to purchase wine for all the others. Or are there alternatives, for instance Champagne Cocktails or Sangria (anyone tried it).

I did suggest he go non alcoholic but let us say the dirty look I got was answer enough. I am not concerned about myself, I will just work my way through the cocktail list:)

They do not have Sangria, in all of my HAL cruises, and nor is it on any menu i have seen...

Thank you. :)

I've been reading again and again how dismal HAL's wine list is and while there are a number of wines that don't interest us, we never fail to find a bottle we can enjoy each evening with our dinner.

We don't get the wine packages as the one time we tried and we saw the list, there were no offerings that appealed to us. We have not looked at a recent list so perhaps there are better choices now than when we last looked. It's too bad as we are five star and would get a nice discount but no discount is worth anything if buying something we don't want.

When we were introduced to Cloudy Bay/Villa Maria on HAL ships, they quickly became wines we look forward to and save to only drink while aboard. We almost never order them at home.

I've never found a wine I like or that is reasonably priced - and I'm not that fussy.

Let's just agree to disagree - after 30 days - limited selections are somewhat frustrating;) people on shorter cruises are just fine. Longer cruises - different story

:o Sorry. I was merely suggesting a few wines I know are on HAL's wine list that we personally enjoy. It's fine if you don't..... by all means, we all know taste is so personal but my personal taste happens to like those wines I mentioned. :) I thought it possible others here might also like them.

There are many (maybe majority) of Hal cruisers that are on fixed incomes and finding a wine they enjoy at $60.00 dollars a bottle or even twenty or below is not in their budgets.

We are blessed that we can afford some higher priced wines but when we are drinking a $15.00 dollar bottle that has been bruised and cooked in a truck, warehouse and ramp the quality is noticed and it cost +$60.00 or more, well!:eek:

Not everyone is as fortunate as us but they also are smart enough to see a bad deal when faced with it.

We have had many excellent Hal offered wines but are not happy with new policy.

In our opinion Hal needs to improve wine package offerings that are not Boone Farms Quality and also needs to address that when passengers are cruising vintage wine areas, with wine tour excursions one should be able to bring back a favorite wine tasting wine.

Immediately upon embarkation, after going through security, a wine steward swipes my card for bringing on a couple of bottles for cover charge would be acceptable. To not have choice is unacceptable.

We enjoy fine wines and even though we live in Florida DW's home office is in Napa. Our favorite wineries will not ship in summer months due to cooked wine syndrome. They do offer refrigerated delivery but the Fed Ex/UPS local delivery no.

Well it's like this:

1. We pay anywhere from $200 to $400 per person per day

2. Dinners in MDR are multi course, delicious and served by an attentive and professional staff

3. There is a perceived "upscale" ambiance with fresh OJ, hot breakfast ensuite for everyone, towels in the washroom, service to the max and of course formal nights.

So after all this "elegance" we get this wine list with selections I can get at a Olive Garden or Chili's and at mark ups that would make those chain restaurants blush.

Can I drink that crap? Yes at Chili's. Will I pay for it when l get served lobster in the MDR? NO! See the difference now? No, didn't think you would but consider that many in the world fine wine an essential part of a meal.

HAL should just chuck the "premium line" stuff and admit they are mass market in a pretty dress.

We always manage with minimal effort. :)

Serious q (and I don't mean to put you on the spot) ... how important is it for you to pair wine with your meal ?... meaning are you at the 'red wine w/ red meat, white w/ white' end of the continuum - or are you able to recognize subtleties in terroir that allow you to more closely pair wine with your food? Do you make your own wine selections? Do you have go-to favourites that you'd order irrespective of what you might be eating? Or do you rely on the knowledge of your wine steward?

If your tendency is to the former and not the latter, what is perfectly decent to a less educated palate, is not to someone who wants to put specific effort in matching wine to cuisine. I think that's where the disconnect lies. Further, given some of the great wine regions of the world that HAL's ships routinely call at, the could be a lot more emphasis placed on regional finds. I'm not a sauv blanc fan at all, but I could go down to my LCBO and buy a bottle of Cloudy Bay anytime - minus the crazy mark-up. Not sure I'd be wanting to do that whilst on vacation off the Dalmatian coast, as I will find myself in less than three months. Of course, YMMV. :)

Scott.

:o Sorry. I was merely suggesting a few wines I know are on HAL's wine list that we personally enjoy. It's fine if you don't..... by all means, we all know taste is so personal but my personal taste happens to like those wines I mentioned. :) I thought it possible others here might also like them.

Please don't misunderstand my post - nothing wrong with the selections you have suggested - it's just get tiresome searching for a new wine night after night when you cruise for 30 days and you end up drinking the same ones over and over again because of the limited selection.

Nothing wrong at all with your recommendations - and yes wine is personal, but I travel to taste new things. ;) Each to their own - you are happy - that's good.:D

Archived