Steak House Info?

I Luv Crusin

Don't miss it a bit. As mentioned, the boneless ribeye is a better steak. :)

Which would only reflect one the opinion of one.

Many others miss it and have stated such, and to me, a boneless ribeye is nothing but chewy fat.

I have to say the the ribeye is my favorite cut - though it has to be good quality. I've had a few (including a purportedly "prime" one on Carnival) which was nothing but gristle. Guess it was an uptight cow or something! :eek:

There were two times in the steakhouse where Cheryl wanted a filet, but did not want the large one. She asked if she could get the smaller one which comes with the surf-n-turf. You'd think they'd jump at the chance to offer less steak, but they could/would not, as they said that they have a certain number of those to go with their lobster. I can kind of see that, but... really? I have no doubt that someone else wouldn't have minded getting a "full size" filet with their lobster as a result of the imbalance! :D

Tom

I do love a good ribeye...

Which steak is the one to get on the steakhouse menu?

You'd likely (highly) enjoy the 5-spice dry rub boneless ribeye. There is a second ribeye on the menu (bone-in) that lacks the spices. I've had the bone-in one perhaps two times, the boneless easily 15 times.

It's been my experience that the steakhouse on Carnival routinely under cooks their steaks just a bit. I'm more a rare steak person, though I'll order the ribeye on Carnival as M-rare.. and it usually comes very close to rare. A ribeye is one cut that I don't really enjoy if it's too rare.

OK... all this steak talk has me wanting to hit the meat counter at Publix this afternoon to pick out steaks for the weekend. Sometimes their Greenwise ribeyes are almost as well marbled as their prime grade.

DARN.. hungry again...

Tom

I have to say the the ribeye is my favorite cut - though it has to be good quality. I've had a few (including a purportedly "prime" one on Carnival) which was nothing but gristle. Guess it was an uptight cow or something! :eek:

There were two times in the steakhouse where Cheryl wanted a filet, but did not want the large one. She asked if she could get the smaller one which comes with the surf-n-turf. You'd think they'd jump at the chance to offer less steak, but they could/would not, as they said that they have a certain number of those to go with their lobster. I can kind of see that, but... really? I have no doubt that someone else wouldn't have minded getting a "full size" filet with their lobster as a result of the imbalance! :D

Tom

Guess they are used to their guests not finishing half of their expensive steaks so dont care.

I love the Carnival SH. It's a great meal. The main dining room food has gotten so bad over the years that now we, my wife and I, just add the fee of eating in the SH to our cruise budget so we can eat there nightly.

I would also look into booking the Chef's Table. GREAT meal.

I love the Carnival SH. It's a great meal. The main dining room food has gotten so bad over the years that now we, my wife and I, just add the fee of eating in the SH to our cruise budget so we can eat there nightly.

I would also look into booking the Chef's Table. GREAT meal.

Speaking of the Chef's Table... have they changed the menu in the last 8-9 months? We'd consider it on the Freedom in a couple of weeks if there is a new menu. Otherwise it's not worth 3+ hours of our evening.

Tom

Speaking of the Chef's Table... have they changed the menu in the last 8-9 months? We'd consider it on the Freedom in a couple of weeks if there is a new menu. Otherwise it's not worth 3+ hours of our evening.

Tom

Nope, but I have heard it is coming. Will let you know in three weeks. (our 5th)

From my memory it seems it was this way when we were on the Magic in October. We added a little bit on top, the service and food were top notch.

As far as attire my husband wore black slacks and a nice polo and I wore a dress. I did notice they let in a group of young drunk people and most of them were not dressed elegant. I guess it depends on who is running the show the night you go. If it isn't busy I suppose they would rather get the $35 than police attire.

I just booked my next cruise and was thinking of booking the steakhouse. I've heard many different things about dress and tips in the steakhouse but this is what the website says:

*Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience.

Has the gratuity policy changed again? It was always included but last time I cruised in the spring we were told it wasn't included. Hmmm. Has this changed?

I had not considered eating at the Steakhouse for my upcoming cruise until reading this thread.

Now, I'm considering it - especially after looking up and seeing the menu. One question though:

I assume you can only get one entree, which is fine. I would only want one. But I would have a hard time picking just one appetizer. Can you get more than one app, or do they limit you to just the one?

I had not considered eating at the Steakhouse for my upcoming cruise until reading this thread.

Now, I'm considering it - especially after looking up and seeing the menu. One question though:

I assume you can only get one entree, which is fine. I would only want one. But I would have a hard time picking just one appetizer. Can you get more than one app, or do they limit you to just the one?

If you dont order a salad they will normally allow two apps.

Tom

No change yet but looking forward to it. The current menu was such a huge step up from the previous menu in terms of technique, creativity, and taste.

I hope the new menu will follow that trend.

No change yet but looking forward to it. The current menu was such a huge step up from the previous menu in terms of technique, creativity, and taste.

I hope the new menu will follow that trend.

I more liked the old menu - but that's just me...

Some of the appetizers have been very good - I could make a meal out of those prime beef tacos and avocado cheesecake!

Tom

The Golden Fleece on the Legend is the best meal I have ever eaten. I believe I had the surf and turf, and everything from the rolls to dessert was terrific, but that steak? To die for.. so much, I'm doing it again first night Dec.. so I can go every night if I want to.. lol

Quick question if I book a reservation for the steakhouse when will I know if I got the time I asked for? I noticed on carnivals site it said if the time you picked is full it will go to the next available time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We went to the steakhouse on the Freedom last week...exceptional!!! The food was delicious and absolutely worth the $35. The formal dress code was not enforced - I saw diners in jeans/sneakers...this kind of bugged me, but oh well.

Quick question if I book a reservation for the steakhouse when will I know if I got the time I asked for? I noticed on carnivals site it said if the time you picked is full it will go to the next available time.

They sent us a confirmation email with the time within a couple days of booking. They will also send you a reservation card to your cabin on the cruise, the day of your reservation.

They sent us a confirmation email with the time within a couple days of booking. They will also send you a reservation card to your cabin on the cruise, the day of your reservation.

I was thinking of booking it for the first night. How far in advance can you book?

We want to do the steakhouse one night on our next cruise. When you book in advance, do you have to pay right away? We have quite a bit of OBC to use and I would rather spend some of that for the steakhouse if possible.

We want to do the steakhouse one night on our next cruise. When you book in advance, do you have to pay right away? We have quite a bit of OBC to use and I would rather spend some of that for the steakhouse if possible.

No, it's just a reservation. You pay the bill at the end of dinner.

The present you with a check after you eat, so OBC is fine.

Archived