Zuider S Suite on the hump

wcolucci

I was told by a travel agent that the suite #87 on the Rotterdam deck of the Zuid is a very desirable cabin as it is odd shaped w/ a 45 degree addition to the balcony...kind of looks smaller to me...Is that true that it is a coveted suite??? the great deal being offerd makes me wonder,

Been on the Zaandaam balcony & Maasdam on a S for a honeymoon last June but never the newer vista ship,,,any suggestions would be great

Hi Peaches & Seven Seas...long time huh?? I am a new father at 46...well not new..shes now nine months ad ready for her first cruise!!

Did you mean S7087? If so, yes the verandah is covered. We had SS8094 just above it and on the other side and loved it. I really didn't see the other S suites, so can't say if the verandah is larger or not, but we loved ours.

Congratulations on your baby daughter - they are so cute at 9mos.

We had that cabin on the Zuiderdam. The balcony is interesting because of the curve but I think it is not as wide. The view is great, though, both from the balcony and from the room. The cabin is smaller but has an interesting layout. The sofa is smaller and is a single bed rather than a double. It is also pretty far from the Neptune Lounge.

7087 was our first S Suite, and we thought it was huge. The sofa is a bit smaller, but fine for two (Jim's a chair guy). The outlet in the dressing room was blocked, but must have been fixed by now. Sorry, there are no photos of this suite, as my camera was stolen after the cruise. Here's a description from my review:

"Cabin: Suite 7087, our Cat S Deluxe Verandah Suite, was easily double the size of our regular cabin, as was the verandah. [This cutaway] doesn't do it justice, as we had extra room at the doorway and the verandah door on an angle. We had a huge couch with two end tables, two occasional chairs with coffee table wall-to-wall desk area under the window, refrigerator, CD player, drawers and three closets in the main room. In the dressing room there were huge angled mirrors, three mirrored closets and a dressing table with 3 drawers (one containing a permanently mounted hair dryer). They still haven't figured out the lighting needs of the average woman. While the dressing table and hassock were comfortable, the lighting from above was all wrong. Knowing I've had problems with this in the past, I brought my 5X lighted makeup mirror. Unfortunately, the outlets provided were blocked by the little rack they built in so you could keep your stuff on the counter without it moving around in rough seas. At first they brought me an extension cord, but that wouldn't plug in either. The maintenance guy couldn't remove the rack, so there was effectively no power in the dressing room. I hope other cabins did not have this problem. The marble bathroom was huge with wall-to-wall mirrors, two angled medicine cabinets, ample lighting with shaver outlet, double sinks, a whirlpool bath/shower and separate shower stall."

Zuidy is like our second home... we're going again in August for the 5th time.

Krazy...stay off the railing!!

Now I doubt there will be much to see w/ an infant in the room but had it been the honeymoon cruise...............

How does the Zuid compare to the Maasdam and Zaandam? I've never been on the bigger ships? I loved the Maasdam last June and the Zaandam was terrific too but I prefer a smaller ship so I don't know what to expect on the Zuid

The Vista Style ships are different from the R and S class ships. I have sailed on the R and S class ships and then sailed on the Zuiderdam. I didn't think I would like it, but I really enjoyed the Zuiderdam. One thing you cannot do is compare the different style ships. Accept the Zuiderdam, or any Vista Style ship, as it is without comparing to how the R or S class ships are and you'll have a great time.

Hi there again. It's been a long time since I've seen your name around these parts! And of course I remember you from the Maasdam when we were taking the Canada cruise also.

Can't advise you on the hump suite. You do know the Vista class suites are smaller than what you had on the Maasdam, I'm sure, so you might want to take that into consideration also when deciding if you think 87 is smaller than the other Zuiderdam S's. I don't know if that is true, but I also have never heard the hump suites were coveted either. Anytime anything is a 'great deal' it makes me wonder, too.

Congrats on the baby! We are awaiting our 6th grandchild (3rd granddaughter) momentarily and getting very excited. When do you plan to cruise?

Have been on all 3 Vista ships. The Zuiderdam was our least favorite.

We much before the "R" and "S" class ships - larger verandah - more drawer space.

One of the things we liked about the Vista class ships - more closets.

Each has their pros and cons.

We promise to stay off the railings.

where the hump is on the Oosterdam - I shall be on 'her' later this yr & really wld like to know? I am presuming it is the glass elevators amidship. If this is the case I think the Penthouse is not near them but closer to the bow. Thanks in advance & happy cruisin' all!

And many of us had got to see a show until someone went to the Neptune Lounge (NOT US) and reported about the man going around in his birthday suit.

The thngs u c whn u dn't hav ur camera!!!!

I'm reminded of what happened on the Oosterdam this Feb. One morning I was out walking around the ship after breakfast. I walked to the very back of the Lido deck -- past the aft pool -- and stopped to lean against the rail and drink my coffee.

The view of the wake was lovely.

The view of the rear of a naked man in the starboard corner suite was not.

And neither was the view of the naked woman laying out on her lounge getting some sun on her port-side verandah.

where the hump is on the Oosterdam - I shall be on 'her' later this yr & really wld like to know? I am presuming it is the glass elevators amidship. If this is the case I think the Penthouse is not near them but closer to the bow.

It's THIS part of a Vista class ship ...

hump1.jpg

... on the Rotterdam deck the Penthouse suites are located on port and starboard side, forward of midships, where the structure "humps" outward. One can see onto at least part of the PS's verandah from several cabins just aft of it.

OK... what'ja catch me doing out there? :D

Candy <-- would prolly do it again

Not that this might make a difference to you. But. We had 7077 and if we stood at our railing, we were able to see what the poeple were doing on their verandah in 7087.

Archived