Cannot Upgrade to a Guarantee from an Assigned Stateroom?!?

h2dcruise

We called our TA because a guaranteed balcony is now cheaper than what we paid for our oceanview room on our upcoming Millennium Alaska cruise and we wanted to do the obvious.

However, after putting us on hold and contacting Celebrity, they told us that we cannot upgrade to a Guarantee room if we have an assigned room. Is there any truth to that rule or did just get a bad Celebrity rep? :confused:

Why go to a guarantee? Maybe there's a assigned verandah they'll upgrade you to. With a guarantee you might get an obstructed view or some other undesirable feature, with an assignment you'll know your stateroom. It might be worth asking about.

Why go to a guarantee? Maybe there's a assigned verandah they'll upgrade you to. With a guarantee you might get an obstructed view or some other undesirable feature, with an assignment you'll know your stateroom. It might be worth asking about.

We're sailing Millie next month, and on our voyage, there are guarantee categories available in balcony, CC and AQ. ALL are several hundred dollars less than booking the same categories with the ability to select an assigned cabin. For example, cat X guarantee is $1099 whereas 2C is $1499. So I assume this is the same situation the OP is referring to.

He is downgrading to a Guarantee. I think he is after Final Payment.

Yes I am doing this after final payment. In fact our cruise is later this month.

The guaranteed balcony is $50 less per person than what we paid the oceanview. I am not expecting a refund of that difference... just a free upgrade.

Those fares may be for new bookings only. I have previously upgraded from inside to OV which was less expensive, but I did not get and refund/OBC, nor did I expect it. I booked after final payment date. EM

Yes I am doing this after final payment. In fact our cruise is later this month.

The guaranteed balcony is $50 less per person than what we paid the oceanview. I am not expecting a refund of that difference... just a free upgrade.

To do an upgrade after final pay't you have to spend $$'s. Even if it is only $10. There are only 5 balcony's left and no insides or OV's so I think they will go quickly

I have read numerous times that you cannot change after final payment unless it is a higher price. Therefore to answer your question what you TA says sounds right.

Those fares may be for new bookings only. I have previously upgraded from inside to OV which was less expensive, but I did not get and refund/OBC, nor did I expect it. I booked after final payment date. EM

Yep, we did a similar move for our other room on this cruise: moved it from interior to oceanview and paid the difference. That's because the difference was negligible. We did need to call three time because they did tell us the first couple of times about how the rate was for new bookings only. But eventually they gave a room for the same rate.

But this time, they stated this "rule" about not being able to upgrade to guarantees... and that's why I was curious.

I have read numerous times that you cannot change after final payment unless it is a higher price. Therefore to answer your question what you TA says sounds right.

So may be it is that... not that you cannot go from assigned to guarantee. So I will see if a Deluxe or Concierge class guarantee (or assigned for that matter) goes for $50 more than what we paid and see if they let us upgrade to that.

We called our TA because a guaranteed balcony is now cheaper than what we paid for our oceanview room on our upcoming Millennium Alaska cruise and we wanted to do the obvious.

However, after putting us on hold and contacting Celebrity, they told us that we cannot upgrade to a Guarantee room if we have an assigned room. Is there any truth to that rule or did just get a bad Celebrity rep? :confused:

We were able to upgrade to an Aqua gty from a assigned veranda just last week.

To do an upgrade after final pay't you have to spend $$'s. Even if it is only $10. There are only 5 balcony's left and no insides or OV's so I think they will go quickly

How do you check which cabins are still available?

You do not have to pay more to upgrade after final payment. If a higher category room is selling for the same or less than you paid for your room, you are entitled to upgrade for no charge. Only exception is if it is a sale specified for new bookings only, they may deny the upgrade. This applies for bookings in the USA, other countries may have differing policies. If the room you are upgrading to costs less, you will not receive a refund or OBC if it is after final payment, but can upgrade for free.

You do not have to pay more to upgrade after final payment. If a higher category room is selling for the same or less than you paid for your room, you are entitled to upgrade for no charge. Only exception is if it is a sale specified for new bookings only, they may deny the upgrade. This applies for bookings in the USA, other countries may have differing policies. If the room you are upgrading to costs less, you will not receive a refund or OBC if it is after final payment, but can upgrade for free.

This is exactly what we did. We paid for an S2 quite a few months ago, and then after final payment, the S1 cabins dropped in price. We didn't receive the new price, but were able to "upgrade" to the S1 at our original booking fare.

This is exactly what we did. We paid for an S2 quite a few months ago, and then after final payment, the S1 cabins dropped in price. We didn't receive the new price, but were able to "upgrade" to the S1 at our original booking fare.

This has been exactly my experience as well.

Okay, so we called back. Our TA rep said this IS a rule and he would put a Celebrity rep on to explain it to me. But when he came back, he said they ARE able to do it for free, but that we would lose a $50 onboard credit that was part of the group code our OV was booked under.

Okay, so we called back. Our TA rep said this IS a rule and he would put a Celebrity rep on to explain it to me. But when he came back, he said they ARE able to do it for free, but that we would lose a $50 onboard credit that was part of the group code our OV was booked under.

I would easily give up the $50.00 OBC to have a balcony.

Just my opinion.

I guess it all depends on what price code you booked under. We just upgraded from a 2A Balcony to and A1 Aqua Class for 50/pp.

Our original booking had a special price code (exciting deals I think) and we were not entitled to the 100 Group OBC. With the upgrade, the new price code was a standard price code and we were able to get the 100 Group OBC so essentially we paid nothing for the upgrade.

I would definitely lose the 50 OBC to get a balcony. It is really worth it.

Archived