Cannot Upgrade to a Guarantee from an Assigned Stateroom?!?

h2dcruise

You do not have to pay more to upgrade after final payment. If a higher category room is selling for the same or less than you paid for your room, you are entitled to upgrade for no charge. Only exception is if it is a sale specified for new bookings only, they may deny the upgrade. This applies for bookings in the USA, other countries may have differing policies. If the room you are upgrading to costs less, you will not receive a refund or OBC if it is after final payment, but can upgrade for free.

I'm loving this thread. It's almost like calling Celebrity! If you talk to 3 different Celebrity people, you will get 3 different answers. :D :D :D

(I happen to agree with your explanation, Gonzo.);)

We have an assigned cabin in a lower category balcony for a voyage six months out. Celebrity just introduced a guarantee balcony category for almost $200. less per person, which we would be perfectl yhappy with. Would not switch us to the guarantee category. They said they used to be able to do that, but not anymore.

I guess we could just cancel the assigned category booking, get our deposit back, and rebook the guarantee.

We have an assigned cabin in a lower category balcony for a voyage six months out. Celebrity just introduced a guarantee balcony category for almost $200. less per person, which we would be perfectl yhappy with. Would not switch us to the guarantee category. They said they used to be able to do that, but not anymore.

I guess we could just cancel the assigned category booking, get our deposit back, and rebook the guarantee.

Before you cancel and rebook, I'd give =X= another two, three or four more calls. As gimletgal pointed out a few posts up, you're likely to get a different answer each time. If you get an agent willing to switch you to the guarantee at the lower price, find out first if you'd be giving up any perks (OBC, etc) going to the new category so that you can make an intelligent decision.

Okay, so we called back. Our TA rep said this IS a rule and he would put a Celebrity rep on to explain it to me. But when he came back, he said they ARE able to do it for free, but that we would lose a $50 onboard credit that was part of the group code our OV was booked under.

You just answered the missing piece, you booked through a TA who has used a group booking discount in the first place.

I would swap to the balcony for $50

If you book direct with celebrity, they will make the changes but do not have to honour anything if booked through a TA

We called our TA because a guaranteed balcony is now cheaper than what we paid for our oceanview room on our upcoming Millennium Alaska cruise and we wanted to do the obvious.

However, after putting us on hold and contacting Celebrity, they told us that we cannot upgrade to a Guarantee room if we have an assigned room. Is there any truth to that rule or did just get a bad Celebrity rep? :confused:

Booked thru a TA may be the problem. You are probably booked into one of the cabins they held as part of a 'group' and since it is past final they had to release any un-sold cabins back to Celebrity. Because of being part of a group the Rep's at X prob wont speak to you about it, but it is worth a try, give em a call.

OK, just read the whole thread!

I would easily give up the $50.00 OBC to have a balcony.

Just my opinion.

We did. We lost the $50 OBC but got the guaranteed balcony.

I asked if we can call again if the price on concierge / aqua drops and they said it would not be issue.

So I guess it was just the TA not losing a room booked under the group rate.

We called our TA because a guaranteed balcony is now cheaper than what we paid for our oceanview room on our upcoming Millennium Alaska cruise and we wanted to do the obvious.

However, after putting us on hold and contacting Celebrity, they told us that we cannot upgrade to a Guarantee room if we have an assigned room. Is there any truth to that rule or did just get a bad Celebrity rep? :confused:

I've upgraded from an assigned cabin to a guarantee before. After final payment. New cabin cost less than what we'd paid originally. Did not get a refund, but got a several category upgrade. I'd say bad Celebrity rep.

I've upgraded from an assigned cabin to a guarantee before. After final payment. New cabin cost less than what we'd paid originally. Did not get a refund, but got a several category upgrade. I'd say bad Celebrity rep.

They used a TA, not Celebrity, but finally got it upgraded. Congrats!

I just found a price drop of almost $500 pp on our upcoming Summit cruise and asked to move too a Sky Suite that was $30 pp less than our AQ cabin. They were more than happy to oblige. They can keep the 60 bucks. I feel like I got upgraded.

We booked a 2C partially obstructed balcony on silhouette, and a few days later they ran a Summer Solstice sale with balcony gty same price as inside. We were able to downgrade and save $1200. There was a chance that we would get a 2D, but they assigned us a 2A on the hump. EM

Archived