Can a US TA Book Celebrity in Cdn?

Cruise Junky

Hi - Celebrity's exchange rate is pretty favourable right now. I'm not looking for recommendations, but does anyone know if a US TA can book in Canadian with Celebrity?

Thanks

Yes they can. They can just choose whether to book in USD or CAD. Whether they want to make bookings in CAD is a separate question.

Yes they can. They can just choose whether to book in USD or CAD. Whether they want to make bookings in CAD is separate question.

They can but do not like booking in $ Cad

I had one large company , say no because our future cruise cert was in $cad

Hi - Celebrity's exchange rate is pretty favourable right now. I'm not looking for recommendations, but does anyone know if a US TA can book in Canadian with Celebrity?

Thanks

Mine does with no problem. It depends on the current exchange rate and the difference in pricing on X between USD and CND which currency I book in.

I used to book in Canada w/Cdn. $. When it came time for final payment if the Cdn. $ was down final would cost more so I never knew what it was going to cost me. Now I have a U.S. savings acc. & a U.S. m/c and when our dollar is up I buy it for future cruises. I have found much better deals on U.S. sites. Never book without checking and sometimes using cruise compete.

I used to book in Canada w/Cdn. $. When it came time for final payment if the Cdn. $ was down final would cost more so I never knew what it was going to cost me. Now I have a U.S. savings acc. & a U.S. m/c and when our dollar is up I buy it for future cruises. I have found much better deals on U.S. sites. Never book without checking and sometimes using cruise compete.

I don't remember the last time I used a Canadian TA, probably 10 years. They just don't offer the perks that you get in the US.

The cruise were looking at is $1319 US or $1339 CDN. That $20 difference per person is far better than paying the exchange right now plus the couple of percent my credit card will add. Happy my US TA will book in CDN. We'll be booking next week :)

This is what we have done for years. Our experience is that besides saving us money in the long term on exchange rates, it has enabled us to work with the U.S. based high volume T.A.'s that can offer the best perks.

Our goal is to be the Client every T.A. wants, and that includes no hassle with things like conversion of currencies.

I have a U.S. savings acc. & a U.S. m/c and when our dollar is up I buy it for future cruises. I have found much better deals on U.S. sites.

This is what we have done for years. Our experience is that besides saving us money in the long term on exchange rates, it has enabled us to work with the U.S. based high volume T.A.'s that can offer the best perks.

Our goal is to be the Client every T.A. wants, and that includes no hassle with things like conversion of currencies.

Why would your travel agent have to worry about converting currency? They book online, they select US or Cdn. The conversion is Celebrity's responsibility.

Why would your travel agent have to worry about converting currency? They book online, they select US or Cdn. The conversion is Celebrity's responsibility.

Celebrities conversion rate is not even close to as favourable for us as me buying U.S. currency on a dollar cost averaging basis, and paying for the cruise in U.S. $$ with a U.S. Credit Card

Another advantage is using the U.S. denominated Credit Card for on board expenses. Celebrities conversion rate is good for Celebrity, not so good for me, and if I let the Credit Card company do the conversion from U.S. to CDN $$, once again the rate is not in my favour.

Celebrities conversion rate is not even close to as favourable for us as me buying U.S. currency on a dollar cost averaging basis, and paying for the cruise in U.S. $$ with a U.S. Credit Card

Another advantage is using the U.S. denominated Credit Card for on board expenses. Celebrities conversion rate is good for Celebrity, not so good for me, and if I let the Credit Card company do the conversion from U.S. to CDN $$, once again the rate is not in my favour.

I work in banking, I know how it works. I'm also fully aware that buying my currency through the bank sucks. I get a far better rate at a stand alone currency exchange place in town.

I already posted what Celebrity was charging in Canadian, it's a $20 upcharge which equals 1.5%. So we could debate until the cows come home who's getting a better deal but my question was why is your Travel Agent having to do a currency conversion? It's already done.

Celebrity's rate is below the XE rate right now. XE 1.039...Scotia Bank...1.065... Celebrity 1.015. It's a steal to book in Canadian right now.

Well...............maybe you're working for the wrong bank:), as I too work for a major CDN bank and have for over 35 years. If you can get a better exchange rate from a stand alone currency exchange, good for you. I've not found an advantage for that option.

The point I'm trying to make is regardless if it is Celebrity, the T.A. or the Credit Card Company, providing the conversion, experience has proven the benefit to me of buying U.S. currency by dollar cost averaging ,and putting it into a U.S. $ bank account, then charging the cruise onto a U.S. denominated credit card and paying the credit card off from the U.S $ account.

If you don't plan on a cruise in the future, your method is fine. A one off $20 cost difference is fair. If the plan is to cruise every year, my option has worked out for us.

Your mileage may differ and I'm only providing an option that has worked out well for us.

I work in banking, I know how it works. I'm also fully aware that buying my currency through the bank sucks. I get a far better rate at a stand alone currency exchange place in town.

I already posted what Celebrity was charging in Canadian, it's a $20 upcharge which equals 1.5%. So we could debate until the cows come home who's getting a better deal but my question was why is your Travel Agent having to do a currency conversion? It's already done.

Well...............maybe you're working for the wrong bank:), as I too work for a major CDN bank and have for over 35 years. If you can get a better exchange rate from a stand alone currency exchange, good for you. I've not found an advantage for that option.

The point I'm trying to make is regardless if it is Celebrity, the T.A. or the Credit Card Company, providing the conversion, experience has proven the benefit to me of buying U.S. currency by dollar cost averaging ,and putting it into a U.S. $ bank account, then charging the cruise onto a U.S. denominated credit card and paying the credit card off from the U.S $ account.

If you don't plan on a cruise in the future, your method is fine. A one off $20 cost difference is fair. If the plan is to cruise every year, my option has worked out for us.

Your mileage may differ and I'm only providing an option that has worked out well for us.

When giving advice you might want to consider that you're getting a staff rate and that doesn't apply to everyone. Check out Vancouver Buillion, they beat all the major banks out here. I buy US$ and Euros every month as I too believe in Dollar Cost Averaging, I just don't pay my cruises that way.

We sometimes purchase US currency for our US dollar bank account.

Last time we purchased $5000. USD, it was $150. less expensive to buy it at the currency exchange office across from our bank (CIBC). RBC's rates were the same as CIBC....high! So we crossed the street, purchased the US cash, then crossed back and deposited it in our USD bank account.

The ONLY time I have found Canadian banks competitive on exchange is when I have had to convert a $28K USD cheque to CAD.

We are about to get the new Marriott credit card that does not charge the 3 percent admin fee that our bank VISA charges on foreign transactions. A friend of ours just got one, tested it, and the exchange rates are excellent and none of those rip off 3 percent bank Visa fees.

I took a look at that card, at this site.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/marriottpremier/50p1ksh/?CELL=67K4&SPID=F2RJ

Under the small print is this:

Marriott Rewards Credit Cards are available to US residents that have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia only.

Is there a Cdn version of the card, and a link you could provide?

We sometimes purchase US currency for our US dollar bank account.

Last time we purchased $5000. USD, it was $150. less expensive to buy it at the currency exchange office across from our bank (CIBC). RBC's rates were the same as CIBC....high! So we crossed the street, purchased the US cash, then crossed back and deposited it in our USD bank account.

The ONLY time I have found Canadian banks competitive on exchange is when I have had to convert a $28K USD cheque to CAD.

We are about to get the new Marriott credit card that does not charge the 3 percent admin fee that our bank VISA charges on foreign transactions. A friend of ours just got one, tested it, and the exchange rates are excellent and none of those rip off 3 percent bank Visa fees.

I took a look at that card, at this site.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/marriottpremier/50p1ksh/?CELL=67K4&SPID=F2RJ

Under the small print is this:

Marriott Rewards Credit Cards are available to US residents that have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia only.

Is there a Cdn version of the card, and a link you could provide?

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/canada-home-en.htm

I've been dealing get with a US based TA for years. She unfortunately won't book in Canadian $. Only time it concerns me is if the cruise is quite far out. Any more than 6 mths and I worry I could get burned if the exchange rate changes too much.

Vancouver Buillion, they beat all the major banks out here. I buy US$ and Euros every month as I too believe in Dollar Cost Averaging, I just don't pay my cruises that way.

I checked their website, and they indeed offer very good exchange rates. I can assure you, however, that our local bureaux de change do not offer anything close to those rates. For us, the banks are still our best bet.

Marriott has $120 annual fee and sears travel is $39

I think I will stay will my TD US visa or TD travel rewards card

The Marriott Visa comes with an annual free night certificate, which for me makes it a wash re: the annual fee.

I checked their website, and they indeed offer very good exchange rates. I can assure you, however, that our local bureaux de change do not offer anything close to those rates. For us, the banks are still our best bet.

They're fantastic and right across the street from my office. I think we're very lucky in Vancouver, Vancouver Buillion is the best, but there are others that are still far cheaper than the banks.

Archived