Northern Lights?

Jewels-TruCruiseDiva

I have been searching all over the boards but haven't heard any mention of the Northern Lights so I am wondering if they are around?

We picked going mid August because we heard the wildlife is good as well as the Northern Lights. Can anyone confirm that? I know there is also the meteor shower the week of the 12th but not sure if we will be any place dark enough to see them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

You need time, conditions and darkness for northern lights. Your chances are very slim you will see them in your timeframe. IF you are interested, DAILY you need to check the predictions, there is a site Geophysical at Fairbanks U. If active, then haul yourself out of bed and get to a dark area of your ship or land lodging. You add to your chances if you are doing a northbound cruise, followed by some independent mainland touring. To enhance viewing, you need darkness, that without your own transportation you aren't going to get.

Although it’s unlikely to see them during the cruise season there is a service that will email you if they predict a decent chance for the aurora. Doesn’t mean you’ll actually be able to see them unless it’s dark enough though. It’s free and I’ve found it to be a good indicator. You sign up at the site echotumi noted above by clicking on “Aurora Alerts Sign-up”.

There is also a pay site at: http://auroranotify.com/

The Northern Lights aren't seen during the summer period. At least not as far south as the Alaska cruising area. If you happen to see them, it would be an exceptionally rare circumstance.

Not common, but not "exceptionally rare" IMHO.

You need time, conditions and darkness for northern lights. Your chances are very slim you will see them in your timeframe. IF you are interested, DAILY you need to check the predictions, there is a site Geophysical at Fairbanks U. If active, then haul yourself out of bed and get to a dark area of your ship or land lodging. You add to your chances if you are doing a northbound cruise, followed by some independent mainland touring. To enhance viewing, you need darkness, that without your own transportation you aren't going to get.

This is the best and most accurate info. I have seen the Northern Lights from a cruise ship near Juneau in August. But I have seen them more and better from land further north. It will take a huge time commitment from you to have a decent chance at seeing them. Finding a place on the ship that is dark enough can be an issue too.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw the lights last night from the Princess Copper River Lodge. They were amazing, and it was only supposed to be a 2. We saw them about 2am. Many of the staff were as excited as we were, so I think it was one of the first viewings there this season. They were better than when we visited Chena in the winter. So much of it is luck of the draw. There is a lot of smoke from forest fires, so I don't think we'll get a repeat performance in Fairbanks tonight.

Archived