Why no life guards??

hladygirl

I am sure you are coreect about cruise lines following suit. However that normally happens when they find ways to reduce costs not increase them. Having life guards also significantly increases the cruise lines liability in the event of an accident because the cruise line has then assumed responsibility for people using the pool.

No fence with a locked door = lifeguard to me. I am very surprised that the cruiselines have gotten away without securing the pools for as long as they have.

Are Disney ships lifeguards employed by Disney or are they contracted with a company that assumes liability if someone has an accident or drowns while under their watch ??

The job listings are on Disney sites.

It seems really difficult for some people to think that a cruiseline is hiring lifeguards because it is the right thing to do.

Perhaps a survey on improvements people would like to see on Disney ships showed the the addition of Lifeguards to be high on the list.

If you have lifeguards and somebody drowns you will get sued.

If you don't have lifeguards and somebody drowns you will get sued.

The difference between if you win, lose or draw in that lawsuit is based on the legal arguments you counsel makes vs those that their counsel makes and the jury and any mitigating factors. These are all the great variables of any legal action.

And for now, Disney is only putting lifeguards on two ships, what about the others???

It often takes a little while for a line to make a change to every ship. Hiring lifeguards will take a little longer than hiring people to work in the laundry. It's often easier to change a couple of ships first and work out the kinks on those and then implement what works fleet wide.

Edited by Karysa

Nothing to report since there have been only two total in the world the last couple of years that we know of. Solving a non existent problem is going very well. Glad to see that the remaining cruise lines world wide are standing their ground.

It's way to early to tell how it is going and if any other cruise line will follow. They have only had the LG's since the end of Sept and so far only on two ships. The others will follow later this month. If the other lines do not add LG's in the next couple of months, then I would assume they will not add them at all.

Nothing to report since there have been only two total in the world the last couple of years that we know of. Solving a non existent problem is going very well. Glad to see that the remaining cruise lines world wide are standing their ground.

ONLY two children's deaths! That seems harsh. Anyways I am Interested in hearing what peoples new experiences have been on board the Disney ships that have implemented lifeguards now. People think there will be more unsupervised children etc so I just am curious how this is going.

At last !!!!! Some logic has entered this discussion !!!!

That's 2 more than in my tri-city area public pools in the nearly 15 years that I have lived here. Over 1/2 a million people so it's not a small place. Oh ya, all the pools have lifeguards.

ONLY two children's deaths! That seems harsh. Anyways I am Interested in hearing what peoples new experiences have been on board the Disney ships that have implemented lifeguards now. People think there will be more unsupervised children etc so I just am curious how this is going.

You will have better luck on the Disney board regarding that info..;)

Im not sure it has been rolled out yet ..

• 2 months later...
Tradgedy can bring about change, so I ask this question. Has the drowning of a 4 year old and near drowning of a 6 year old on the NCL Breakaway this week changed your minds as to the need for Lifeguards on cruiseships?

No I still don't think there is a need for lifeguards at a pool on a cruise ship.

I think that this is a timely question and the appropriate thread for it.

I do not know if lifeguards are needed. I do think there should be someone "policing" the adult only pools and making sure that kids are not in them. On the breAkaway where the incident happened the pool may not be very big but it is very deep. There is also a area that is water which isn't deep that goes into the pool so if a child is walking in that space and falls into the deep part of the pool, who knows. If there was someone there just making sure children were not going into the adult pool that may help. But they are also afraid to offend or make parents mad by telling them 'no'.

And as for kids where the hell are the parents, they should be looking after them.

^^^ This ^^^

In my opinion, these drownings are a tragedy for the kids, but NOT for the parents. While I feel horrible for the other family members of the victims, including siblings, etc., I have a very hard time feeling sad for the parents in in fact it was something that could have been prevented by parent supervision. They get to live with the pain from that, and that is there deserved consequence, only have to hope that is serves as a wake up call to other parents (though people are dumb, so inevitably it will happen again). Sucks.

Tradgedy can bring about change, so I ask this question. Has the drowning of a 4 year old and near drowning of a 6 year old on the NCL Breakaway this week changed your minds as to the need for Lifeguards on cruiseships?

No, it hasn't.

Not in the slightest. These children drowned because their parents left them at the pool alone. They were not even in the same area. A 4 year old is not old enough to be alone EVER, let alone on a boat in the middle of the Ocean. You seem to really want lifeguard, and keep coming back to this post to push it....is this because you want to abandon your children and have others take care of them for you on vacation?

6&8

I think life guards are most useful on beaches where natural dangers are harder to predict, rip currents, waves, tides, sudden drops in the sand, what not.

On a well controlled environment such as a tiny pool on a crowded ship, the benefit is marginal ... IF not offset by making passengers, especially parents less vigilant.

The smartest thing said in this thread, by a country mile...

Like X 100

For those who feel that lifeguards are a must, feel free to go sail Disney if the issue is that important to you.

Choices, people. Choices.

Choose to spend extra $$$ and choose Disney.

Edited by bguppies