What DH should wear for formal night

signora

While I agree the trend is to slack off and the result is to minimize the formalness. I dont have to like it. We just sailed Cunard where there were 4 formal nights on a 12 day cruise. And by "formal" they mean Tuxedos - 98% of men complied. The few that did not, were in Military or home country appropriate formal attire(Scottish, Indian and Chinese). :)

I will continue to wear mine as long as I am not the ONLY one.

We have sailed on Cunard.

Stayed in the Queen's Grill category.

Formal nights were really formal -- nearly every man was in a tuxedo or white dinner jacket.

All other nights you had to wear a suit or dinner jacket.

You are correct in that there are not so many tuxes in the MDR as there used to be. But that doesn't stop us. A cruise is the one and only place we can REALLY dress up - and we always feel great doing it. I would advise you to not worry about overdressing. If your DH wants to wear a tux - go for it. :)

I applaud this sentiment!

The slacks, jacket and shirt you mention will work just fine.

The days of strict dress code enforcement have come and gone, just like the changes in society.

That's for sure. On our cruise a few weeks ago the Le Cirque night was formal and they allowed people in with smart casual attire.

I have always worn a tux on formal night or we go to Lido. On our upcoming Prinsendam cruise I am ditching the tux and going with a dark suit. Tired of so few in tuxes.

Slight change in subject: my DH has never worn a white dinner jacket before. This one probably doesn't totally qualify, being made of linen. So the question is, what does one wear with it? Probably super-formal would be the black pants, the white (tuxedo?) shirt and black bow tie, but could one do something else--regular tie, maybe not even black, shirt with color, etc.? As the rules are changing, why not? But I have to say I like rules. They give purpose and structure. And walking into a dining room with men in tuxes and women in gowns is actually thrilling. I hope formality doesn't go totally by the wayside.

Slight change in subject: my DH has never worn a white dinner jacket before. This one probably doesn't totally qualify, being made of linen. So the question is, what does one wear with it? Probably super-formal would be the black pants, the white (tuxedo?) shirt and black bow tie, but could one do something else--regular tie, maybe not even black, shirt with color, etc.? As the rules are changing, why not? But I have to say I like rules. They give purpose and structure. And walking into a dining room with men in tuxes and women in gowns is actually thrilling. I hope formality doesn't go totally by the wayside.

If you google "images" for white dinner jacket you gets some pretty great photos, including the original 007 looking smashing in his white dinner jacket: http://www.google.com/search?q=white+dinner+jacket&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FCYBUv6MDdGyygHU14DYBQ&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1271&bih=614

You said it perfectly- the overall look of the main dining room when people do continue to dress up for the occasion. I wonder secretly if even those who do not dress to the guidelines just might also enjoy the special sparkle that evening? ;)

Thanks for the images: they're great! Can I just persuade my DH to look like Humphrey Bogart and Sean Connery? I know he'll look smashing, and who cares if no one else is in a white jacket? It's a cruise: let's get a little out of our comfort zone and have some fun!

Thanks for the images: they're great! Can I just persuade my DH to look like Humphrey Bogart and Sean Connery? I know he'll look smashing, and who cares if no one else is in a white jacket? It's a cruise: let's get a little out of our comfort zone and have some fun!

Go for it! And let`s not forget Cary Grant.

Hope I end up on the same ship with you some day - love your attitude.

My advice, go with Sean Connery. Yum. :D

*LOL* Cary Grant , my DW has never seen what the big attraction was . Sean Connery , She has hated him since he made some remark in an interview about women needing a slap once in a while ....or something like that.

Bogie I could get away with because she knows he is my all time favorite actor.

And lets not forget Sinatra because .........well he's Sinatra :)

My husband looks like a penguin in a tux ... He wants to take his charcoal stripe suit and then wear different ties in each formal night. Would this be suitable ? He does look rather gorgeous in it ;) I'm panicking about what I'd wear, I have a beautiful long black satin fishtail dress but I can't even get it over my head these days ... Are knee length dresses ok?

I think formal may be declining in Europe as more people have to pay separately for baggage on the airlines. It really does add up ....

My husband looks like a penguin in a tux ... He wants to take his charcoal stripe suit and then wear different ties in each formal night. Would this be suitable ? He does look rather gorgeous in it ;) I'm panicking about what I'd wear, I have a beautiful long black satin fishtail dress but I can't even get it over my head these days ... Are knee length dresses ok?

I think formal may be declining in Europe as more people have to pay separately for baggage on the airlines. It really does add up ....

A suit for men is perfectly within the "formal" dress code. Tux are nowhere near in evidence as they were previously and some men attempt, sometimes with success sometimes not, to enter the MDR on formal nights in a sport coat and no tie or tie with no jacket. As for women, the same more casual dress is very popular now on formal nights. Slacks with dressy tops and some bling or knee length cocktail dresses are seen more now than long gowns. The whole world is getting more casual and formal dress no longer resembles what it was in the past and the HAL dress code now recognizes that.

I think it's a shame in a way as there are so few opportunities for the average couple to get dressed up to the nines. Although I did once sit and watch friends re-runs in my wedding dress, jewellery and all one afternoon.

I'd love to do the whole elegant gown thing but its a matter of finances too. I've already been pushed into an inside cabin that quite frankly is scaring me silly, but I've been off work with ill health for a while now so windows and fancy gowns are off the list this year ....unless I win the lottery :rolleyes:

Archived