What DH should wear for formal night

signora

Sorry to post this subject once again but we are in a bit of a dilemma. Dress code specifies tux or dark suit: DH owns a tux but not a dark suit: instead he has a medium shade sport jacket and charcoal slacks. We've heard there may be very few tuxes in the MDR, but might he be turned away in the sport jacket? I love him in a tux but it does require him carrying an extra pair of shoes, unless he can wear closed-toe Teva's on the nights other than formal. So, any forthcoming solution to this problem would be helpful--we appreciate it in advance.

HAL used to have a tux rental program and as I recall even had shoes. Don't know if they still do, but that can be one way to do this. We typically do late seating, longer cruises and the smaller HAL ships and we still see a lot of tuxes on those cruises, which do look great.So the reports about the number of tuxes can vary from ship to ship, and cruise locale to cruise locale.

However it seems as long as a man wears a jacket/tie of some sort, it is unlikely he will be turned away. The overall look of the dining room when formal night gets honored as much as possible is still pretty spectacular. Plus this is a night when many have a formal portrait taken which look pretty nice when in the display galleries. Formal night is really meant to be fun; not punishment. ;)

You are correct in that there are not so many tuxes in the MDR as there used to be. But that doesn't stop us. A cruise is the one and only place we can REALLY dress up - and we always feel great doing it. I would advise you to not worry about overdressing. If your DH wants to wear a tux - go for it. While he may be in the minority, he will look fabulous and the two of you will have another special memory. :)

If he prefers to wear a sports jacket, he certainly can. I'm unsure of how dark it is from your description. DH has one that's deep blue that he uses on some evenings. I'm quite certain as long as it looks nice, he will be fine.

So let him wear what he wants - tux or jacket - either are good:D

Thanks for all the answers: I'll bet he'll opt for the sport jacket. It's pretty dark. But I have to confess, what he really wants to wear, but I think he'll save for the not-so-formal nights, is a white linen jacket in which he looks like he owns the ship! Really the yacht look: all he needs is the ascot! (which he refuses). Forget about the tux: can't wait to see him in that!

Thanks again all cc posters for helping out. We sail in 12 days on the Maasdam for Canada!

Thanks for all the answers: I'll bet he'll opt for the sport jacket. It's pretty dark. But I have to confess, what he really wants to wear, but I think he'll save for the not-so-formal nights, is a white linen jacket in which he looks like he owns the ship! Really the yacht look: all he needs is the ascot! (which he refuses). Forget about the tux: can't wait to see him in that!

Thanks again all cc posters for helping out. We sail in 12 days on the Maasdam for Canada!

My DH has an all white perry ellis linen 3 piece suit and a matching tan one. He is bringing them on our 14 day as well as his tux. He always looks amazing.

Should have added one also sees many white dinner jackets, as well as tuxes on formal nights .... along with the rest of the choices that now make up the over all look for those evening. The whole idea of the black tie/white dinner jacket is to be the neutral backdrop anyway, for women to be the center of attention anyway, right? ;)

If he likes it - take it:D I have seen lots of white jackets whether they be tuxes or jackets and the men always look very nice:D

Last year on our TA from Copenhagen was the first time that my DH did not carry his tux. Instead he wore his navy double breasted blazer on the plane and for the formal nights he wore it with either a white or blue dress shirt, bow tie, and gray dress slacks. He looked very handsome.

I take Chico travelers in black and take their shells in different colors with different pieces of their jewelry and have a different looking oufit for all four formal nights. As we get older and luggage fees on airlines get more expensive especially for overseas (which is normally where we cruise) we have pared our luggage down to one bag each plus a carry on.

HAL's dress code for formal night calls for gentlemen to wear jacket and tie/trousers assumed. ;) If your DH wishes to wear his white linen jacket with a tie, he will be absolutely fine in HAL's suggested code.

I think the message in this thread is there is a minimum required dress but not a maximum. Those who wish to wear a tux will look great and by all means should do so. For those who want to wear HAL's minimum, should have no worries they will be turned away from MDR.

Jacket and tie means they will be seated and they will be in compliance.

DH still takes a tux as he likes wearing formalwear. And actually, on a long cruise, the one tuxedo cuts down on packing! Yes, he has to take an extra pair of shoes but now can cut down to only one jacket or blazer. An extra tie/bowtie to vary the look takes up much less space and luggage weight than two more jackets.

On our very first cruise, which was a Caribbean with HAL, we had debated on the tuxedo and a long gown. At embarkation we were invited to join the Captain's Table the first formal night...we were SO glad we had both as EVERYONE at the table was dressed to the nines. We wondered if they had looked inside our luggage before inviting us!!!

Today you'll be very comfortable in jacket & tie but, if you enjoy dressing up you'll also be in good company.:)

Picturing those black velvet tuxedo loafers as a possible answer to packing an extra pair of dress shoes for formal night. Double as slippers for cabin wear too? Like ladies learn, one really only see the tops of what you are wearing when everyone is sitting down in the dining room.

The whole idea of the black tie/white dinner jacket is to be the neutral backdrop anyway, for women to be the center of attention anyway, right? ;)

This is true... Black on black is invisible ... as a true gentleman should be.

I still take my tux, just as easy to pack as suit or sports jacket and dress pants...

Only difference in Tux and suit is the extra pair of shoes and a bow tie. I wish every gentleman could realize this and pack the tux and the shirt with the silly collar. . . I really don't mind wearing mine.

Martini - Shaken not Stirred ! :rolleyes:

My DH used to wear tuxedos on all cruises. But on our last longer cruise -- 20 days where you USED to see tons of tuxedos -- there was barely a handful.

He had to wear them while we were working -- many functions for both of us that required the Black & White.

5 tuxedos later........

So we have gone shopping -- no more tuxedos.

HAL's dress code for formal night calls for gentlemen to wear jacket and tie/trousers assumed. ;) If your DH wishes to wear his white linen jacket with a tie, he will be absolutely fine in HAL's suggested code.

I think the message in this thread is there is a minimum required dress but not a maximum. Those who wish to wear a tux will look great and by all means should do so. For those who want to wear HAL's minimum, should have no worries they will be turned away from MDR.

Jacket and tie means they will be seated and they will be in compliance.

On our 20 day repositioning cruise -- many men entered the dining room on formal nights without a jacket.

And nothing was said to them.

My DH used to wear tuxedos on all cruises. But on our last longer cruise -- 20 days where you USED to see tons of tuxedos -- there was barely a handful.

He had to wear them while we were working -- many functions for both of us that required the Black & White.

5 tuxedos later........

So we have gone shopping -- no more tuxedos.

Same for us. DH always wore a tuxedo for every formal night for dozens and dozens of cruises. A few years ago, we realized he was among a scant few dressed in tuxedo and we stopped bringing his tuxedo. I suspect, after having purchased many through the years, we have bought his last formal suit.

On our 20 day repositioning cruise -- many men entered the dining room on formal nights without a jacket.

And nothing was said to them.

It is my opinion, we will see that increasingly more common. I think the days of 'pretend formal' are coming to an end. When HAL defines formal as jacket and tie and can't get a number of men to wear that, who are we kidding? Formal is on it's last gasp of hot air.

We always do a quick survey of the room on formal nights and our experience is at least 50% and more still wear tuxes. Different ships; different numbers obviously.

We have done quite a few of the repositioning cruises from Florida to Seattle and this year was the first time that we saw so few men dressed formally.

Very big disappointment!!

Same for us. DH always wore a tuxedo for every formal night for dozens and dozens of cruises. A few years ago, we realized he was among a scant few dressed in tuxedo and we stopped bringing his tuxedo. I suspect, after having purchased many through the years, we have bought his last formal suit.

It is my opinion, we will see that increasingly more common. I think the days of 'pretend formal' are coming to an end. When HAL defines formal as jacket and tie and can't get a number of men to wear that, who are we kidding? Formal is on it's last gasp of hot air.

You got that right!!

While I agree the trend is to slack off and the result is to minimize the formalness. I dont have to like it. We just sailed Cunard where there were 4 formal nights on a 12 day cruise. And by "formal" they mean Tuxedos - 98% of men complied. The few that did not, were in Military or home country appropriate formal attire(Scottish, Indian and Chinese). :)

I will continue to wear mine as long as I am not the ONLY one.

While I agree the trend is to slack off and the result is to minimize the formalness. I dont have to like it. We just sailed Cunard where there were 4 formal nights on a 12 day cruise. And by "formal" they mean Tuxedos - 98% of men complied. The few that did not, were in Military or home country appropriate formal attire(Scottish, Indian and Chinese). :)

I will continue to wear mine as long as I am not the ONLY one.

You won't be the only one as long as DH is out there on the high seas too, and the officers still have their best mess dress.

Our experience on a more British ship was similar too. Sense that people dressed for dinner because this is what people still did; not because they had too. Even "casual" nights were far more formal as well. Always included a sport jacket for men.

Archived