Weight Gain

CharlesSilver

This seemed to be a topic of ridicule by the CD and a couple of comedians.

However, judging by some of the clinically obese guests gorging themselves on board, I don't have such a flippant view.

Do you find yourself over eating to some degree? Or Is the sea air enough to counteract the calories?

Taking the stairs, walking and the gym etc. and eating sensibly is necessary if you don't want extra calories.....:) We are careful on board with what we choose to eat. All about Choices...........

I like this topic, it's something we shouldn't take lightly because almost every cruise you find somebody who over does it and ends up in the infirmary or worse :(

I definately eat more while on board than I do at home just because it is so readily available and I want to try many things that I don't get to eat at home on a regular basis. In addition, I know that I drink a lot more on the ship so I am sure that doesn't help but I have always taken the position of being on vacation and not wanting to limit myself just for the sake of doing so.

I have never been interested enough to weigh myself prior and after a cruise to see what the damage is but now that I am getting older I think I need to be more mindful of these things.

I already lost 16 pounds in preparation for my upcoming cruise and plan on losing about 10 more before we leave and the goal will be to keep the gain from that weeklong cruise to just a few pounds, if any. I will definately get some exercise by playing basketball with my son on board and might even hit the gym at least a couple of mornings.

I ate 3 square meals a day, only different was the person who cooked it. I generally eat the same amount of food, I ate on the cruise. I had a few extra desserts, but over all, I gained 1 pound. The first 2 days we ate light breakfast buffet, and had salads when we were hungry. We ate no french fries, pizza or burgers. Eat at the park cafe, just monitor your intake.

However, judging by some of the clinically obese guests gorging themselves on board, I don't have such a flippant view.

Do you find yourself over eating to some degree? Or Is the sea air enough to counteract the calories?

I have only been on one cruise and I ate somewhat at will. I also ran 6 miles each day on the cruise.

My kids are greatly looking forward to dessert/ice cream every day since they don't get that at home often.

At home I work out one hour a day on average. Since it's a vacation, I hope to fit in 1-2 hours a day on the cruise, plus all the hiking in Alaska ports, I hope I can keep the weigh gain to a minimum!!

On all of our cruises, I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, in whatever portions I wanted. I found that I am much more active on a cruise than I am at home, and that usually balances things out a bit. I usually come home with a 2-3 pound gain, which comes right off the following week. I suspect that much of that gain is water weight due to much more added salt consumption while on the cruise.

So are the small bathrooms... because they're a fact on cruise ships. At any point you can get food, and yes, there are times where I think dear God, all I feel like I did today was eat!

I have overeaten, no doubt. What nails me is late dinner (of course everything I really like ends up on the same night's menu for some reason) and then a midnight buffet up on the pool deck. I can honestly say I haven't stuffed myself overly in the past so many cruises, as I've been on the 2 cruises a year plan to get my fix of the different things I really enjoy. :D

I am heavier than I'd like to be, but I don't take their jokes about food as a personal assault on my waistline. If anything, when on board I feel guilty wondering what so many of the employees from other countries think of the large portions and amounts most Americans eat (even when not over-indulging by our own standards).

Judy

I like that this thread was started...I am concerned, as I've gained 6lbs since I got married july 6th (really have enjoyed my time off--I work for the school board and get laid off in the summer)....

My plan for the cruise is: 1) lose the weight before going (and hopefully get lower than I was before 2) make sure I strength train and do fitness classes/run 3) try to eat light most of the time (egg white omelettes for breakfast, salads for lunch, then a nice meal for dinner---I don't do desserts generally so that's not an issue).

I KNOW I will drink a lot of alcohol, but hopefully with everything else I'll be okay....

I don't mind this type of thread, but then I've always been weight conscious too. When I go on vacation I like to look good and feel good. I like my clothes to look and feel comfortable, so I usually prepare ahead of time by trying to lose a couple of extra pounds. ;) I work out on a regular basis and also eat healthy most of the time. However, when I'm on vacation, besides not having the options and variety of things available when cruising, I also love to eat! :D So, I really don't limit myself. I enjoy having a lot of things I don't have on a regular basis at home and don't feel guilty about it. We've worked out a couple of times while on vacation and not worked out too. I think that realizing it or not, we walk alot more and are just more active doing things than when at home. Either way, I usually put on a couple of pounds. But, really .... it's only a week, so if when you return home you cut back a little, exercise a little more and return to healthy eating, whatever weight gain there is, it's gone in a short amount of time. All that being said, even when I feel that I'm either looking or feeling fat, all I have to do is look around. :) There are all types and sizes while vacationing. I don't think that jokes should be made about large people or people over eating, or even wearing something that really shouldn't be worn at a large size. :rolleyes: All that is one's own personal opinion and saying things at the expense of other's feelings just is not kind. Some people are comfortable with themselves and their size and I applaud them, but others aren't. Adding to their discomfort is not right. But, again ... on vacation there are all different kinds of people too! :rolleyes: So, big, small, whatever ... be comfortable with yourself and enjoy your vacation ... and I like what Ellen always says at the end of her show ... 'be kind to one another'!! And with that I think I will 'just have some salad'! :D

I definitely eat more on cruises than I do when I am at home. I figure I'm on vacation and it is okay.

Yes I gain a few pounds. Usually 2-5lbs depending. But I have noticed over the years I lose almost all the weight within 2 weeks after the cruise. I think there is a lot of salt in the food (and in the air) and it makes you retain water. The rest I lose within a month after the cruise just getting back to my regular diet and exercise.

I also do exercise more on the ship with just all the additional walking. And I almost always just take the stairs.

I eat anything, anytime in moderation...everything in moderation...we don't eat bread at home with dinner, so on a cruise, those dinner rolls & bread are great...don't eat much dessert at home, so that, too, is great...I drink more on a cruise, usually beer, once in a while, an apple martini, or a B-52..at home I may have 1 beer every 10-14 days, usually in social situations....but my wife & I walk around the ship alot..she is tiny- 102 lbs., and gains 2-3 pounds on a cruise, then it's off when we start eating normal....we look forward to our dining on cruises, so we eat well- but rarely over the top..Carnival's Chocolate Meltaway cake is killer...absolutely brutal...last time after I took a bite, I was calling the medics, LOL....also breakfast is something I don't always eat, but on ships, I love my eggs benedict!!

Big Al

Twenty years ago I definitely ate more than I do now. I can't do the stairs, up or down, so I try to walk bow to stern as much as I can. I seldom eat dessert, but I enjoy two appetizers some nights. I have a glass of wine most nights but no mixed drinks. I manage to only gain a pound or two on a cruise, but mainly I think that's from changing to early seating. On our first cruise, a 4 day in 1984, I gained 8 lbs and DH gained 6.

Never again.

Unfortunately overweight and obese adults and children are increasing every year.

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 35.9% (2009-2010)

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.2% (2009-2010)

Source: Health, United States, 2012, table 63**[PDF - 9.8 MB]

Percent of adolescents age 12-19 years who are obese: 18.4% (2009-2010)

Percent of children age 6-11 years who are obese: 18.0% (2009-2010)

Percent of children age 2-5 years who are obese: 12.1% (2009-2010)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

This is misleading and does not include athletes. I am 160lbs at 5'7" and considered overweight even though I am fit due to muscle mass. My personal trainer is considered obese at 5'10" and 185lbs even though he has 5% body fat.

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.2% (2009-2010)

Source: Health, United States, 2012, table 63**[PDF - 9.8 MB]

Ugh, I get sick of those overeating/weight gain jokes. The first cruises, it was kind of funny.... but now I wish the CDs would just get some new material. I guess for a lot of people, it's still their first cruise, so they haven't heard those jokes before.... but for those who cruise more frequently, it's been overdone.

I eat a lot more on the cruise than I do at home. I usually gain 10 pounds or so. Fortunately I am able to take it off at home. I'm on vacation, and part of that vacation is enjoying all the wonderful food that I normally wouldn't eat at home. It's rare that I have sherbet, but on a cruise, I'll have it most nights. I do try to take the stairs, but, I really doubt it matters much in the scheme of things.

I don't really care what other people eat, but, I do have a peeve about wasting food, and that seems to happen a lot on a cruise.

Anyway, as long as everyone is having a good time, that's what's important.

Most people over eat on a cruise, food is everywhere.

We have gained only a few pound on a cruise. Usually more water weight from the high salt in foods. We walk a lot. My husband now took to loosing weight has lost about 80 pounds with Weight Watchers. I have lost 55 pounds. We found this gave us some really great tools for eating w/o over doing it and remaining healthy even on a cruise!

Gained weight on our first cruise only. It was a small ship so we did not do much walking. We walkover and take the stairs when my back is feeling good. And some water weight maybe on the rest of the cruises which comes off within a few days after we get home. Plus you learn to pave yourself.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is misleading and does not include athletes. I am 160lbs at 5'7" and considered overweight even though I am fit due to muscle mass. My personal trainer is considered obese at 5'10" and 185lbs even though he has 5% body fat.
BMI is a terrible indicator of obesity for people with above average muscle mass.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I eat a lot more on the cruise than I do at home. I usually gain 10 pounds or so. Fortunately I am able to take it off at home. I'm on vacation, and part of that vacation is enjoying all the wonderful food that I normally wouldn't eat at home. It's rare that I have sherbet, but on a cruise, I'll have it most nights. I do try to take the stairs, but, I really doubt it matters much in the scheme of things.

I don't really care what other people eat, but, I do have a peeve about wasting food, and that seems to happen a lot on a cruise.

Anyway, as long as everyone is having a good time, that's what's important.

You put on 10 pounds on a week long cruise? Wow wee

If I did that I would need a pair of Frank Barone's stretchy pants. (You have to watch Everybody Loves Raymond to get that one).

Archived