Cunard World Club

Mark@cfcmail.co.uk

I'm pretty certain that on a previous cruise we flew to New York, went round the Caribbean and then took the TA back to Southampton, and that was considered two segments (towards Cunard World Club status).

More recently we did two TA's with the Caribbean in the middle and that has been counted as 26 nights, rather than 3 segments. Is this a change in policy, or were we just lucky last time?

World Club status is calculated by number of trips or by days.

upon completion of 2nd voyage or 20 days - Gold

7 voyages or 70 days - Platinum

15 voyages or 150 days - Diamond

I have done Grand Voyages which consist of a TA, possibly a Norway cruise and then the TA back - that counts as 1 voyage or number of days.

It could be booked as three voyages which would then count as 3 voyages or the number of days which would add up to the Grand number of days. Sometimes booking 3 segments is cheaper and sometimes a Grand is.

Sometimes you will reach a new status with number of days rather than number of voyages. I reached Platinum status with 70 days after only 5 voyages.

Counting days is probably the better method. Then, if you've done a long cruise, you get more credit than if you've done a short cruise. Counting days seems to be the way the loyalty programs are going. HAL now counts days, and I think Celeb and Royal Carib do, too.

I'm pretty certain that on a previous cruise we flew to New York, went round the Caribbean and then took the TA back to Southampton, and that was considered two segments (towards Cunard World Club status).

More recently we did two TA's with the Caribbean in the middle and that has been counted as 26 nights, rather than 3 segments. Is this a change in policy, or were we just lucky last time?

Hi Mark. I also believe it depends on how you booked those voyages. For example, a couple of years ago, we did a back-to-back NY/Caribbean voyage as two separate cruises (booking the first cruise and then several weeks later decided to book the second cruise), and it counted as two voyages. Had we booked it as one voyage, it would have counted as one voyage of 22 days. -S.

Counting days is probably the better method. Then, if you've done a long cruise, you get more credit than if you've done a short cruise. Counting days seems to be the way the loyalty programs are going. HAL now counts days, and I think Celeb and Royal Carib do, too.

Counting the days seems to me to be much easier than Cunard's "voyages or days" method of calculating. I hope Cunard does streamline the program like the other lines you mentioned.

I agree with all of the above that just counting days makes the most sense. Once in a while, in our case once in a dozen bookings, you can benefit by booking a three segment cruise as three separate bookings. We booked our November/December TA-Canaries-TA cruise last year in three pieces only because Cunard slathered each segment with discounts and extra OBCs that weren't offered to the single booking option. Why? Who knows? When you have the choice of single or multiple bookings, price it out both ways and let arithmetic decide.

Hi 3rdGC. HAL also counts suite bookings and on board spending differently from Cunard. Below is quoted from http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

(Cunard World Club is rather straightforward by comparison, in my opinion.)

From HOLLAND AMERICA "Earn Bonus Cruise Day Credits

In addition to earning Cruise Day credits for each actual day sailed, there are also easy ways you can earn bonus Cruise Day credits. The more Cruise Day credits you collect, the faster you increase your Mariner Star status, and the more exciting rewards you’ll receive.

• Suite Bonus when you pay a published fare for a spacious suite on your next cruise. For example, a guest who pays published fare for suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 cruise day credits.
  • Onboard Spending Bonus Earn one bonus cruise day credit for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus*.
  • Guests can earn bonus days for cruises beginning September 18, 2009 in accordance with the Program Launch Schedule.

(Cunard World Club is rather straightforward by comparison, in my opinion.)
I have to agree!

I was waiting to read something like...

"unless there is an "R" in the month (leap years only), when, on alternate Tuesdays, extra points are awarded to those between 5'2 and 5'8 who didn't use the buffet when the wind was coming from the east*. *Unless there is a full moon, when regulation 118D (a) subsection 22, is used, of course, for those on the port side of the dance floor"... ;)

Thank you for your helpful post. Another reason to stick with Cunard!

Best wishes.

I have to agree!

I was waiting to read something like...

"unless there is an "R" in the month (leap years only), when, on alternate Tuesdays, extra points are awarded to those between 5'2 and 5'8 who didn't use the buffet when the wind was coming from the east*. *Unless there is a full moon, when regulation 118D (a) subsection 22, is used, of course, for those on the port side of the dance floor"... ;)

Thank you for your helpful post. Another reason to stick with Cunard!

Best wishes.

Pepper, we will make a lawyer of you. You have the right frame of mind. :D

Louise

Pepper, we will make a lawyer of you. You have the right frame of mind. :D Louise
Louise, thank you (I think?... ;) ).

Sincere best wishes to you :) .

(I don't know what it is like where you are Louise, but here it is a beautiful morning! :) .

I might go to Southampton later and watch QM2 depart for New York... )

..."unless there is an "R" in the month (leap years only), when, on alternate Tuesdays, extra points are awarded to those between 5'2 and 5'8 who didn't use the buffet when the wind was coming from the east*. *Unless there is a full moon, when regulation 118D (a) subsection 22, is used, of course, for those on the port side of the dance floor"...

You forgot to add the most important clause of the lot, viz:

"A bonus of 10 days will be awarded to any passenger who consumes three or more breakfasts in a single day"

:D

J

You forgot to add the most important clause of the lot, viz:

"A bonus of 10 days will be awarded to any passenger who consumes three or more breakfasts in a single day"

:D

J

They'd be pretty safe with that clause, as I can think of only one person who would qualify for those extra bonus ten days... :D

(I have been known to have two breakfasts on board quite often, but three... :eek: )

:)

Louise, thank you (I think?... ;) ).

Sincere best wishes to you :) .

(I don't know what it is like where you are Louise, but here it is a beautiful morning! :) .

I might go to Southampton later and watch QM2 depart for New York... )

Pepper, it is meant to be a compliment. I would not rubbish my own profession (well, only sometimes).

Here it is getting to the end of our day and I am trying to finish a few work tasks. I would love to be in your shoes - going off to see QM2. If you do go, say hello to her from me.

Louise

Pepper, it is meant to be a compliment. I would not rubbish my own profession (well, only sometimes).

Here it is getting to the end of our day and I am trying to finish a few work tasks. I would love to be in your shoes - going off to see QM2. If you do go, say hello to her from me.

Louise

And from me! :D

Back to the original topic:

I think counting days is far more sensible. However, I remember one poster saying that with the current system the way to jump your status is to book a series of 2- or 3-day trips, and then you quickly reach the next level with the minimum of payment occurring. Personally, I prefer the long, leisurely voyages!

I haven't been on Princess line for quite a few years, but I think they introduced a system whereby you received extra credit if you booked single occupancy. That makes sense to me, seeing we're often paying double the fare. I'd be happy to have the extra days that would have gone to a non-existent partner.

I have now reached Platinum level. I am looking forward to the extra internet time. Priority boarding sounds good, too. Other than that, it's a lot of hype that does not really affect me.

Back to the original topic:

I have now reached Platinum level. I am looking forward to the extra internet time. Priority boarding sounds good, too. Other than that, it's a lot of hype that does not really affect me.

We've found those and the priority disembarkation to be very useful. On the QM2 recently we were given the Todd English restaurant to wait disembarkation. We were given tea, coffee, cakes and free newspapers while we waited and got off the ship earlier than we expected.

The last thing we should be advocating on this board is a WC program with tiers determined by cruise nights only. Considering how many 7 night TA's Cunard clients take on QM2 that system would be highly disadvantageous. And some us started accumulating voyages on 6 night TAs. I made Platinum on a lot less than 70 nights and I expect to make Diamond in a lot less than 150 nights. The last thing I want is a change in the rules part way through.

We've found those and the priority disembarkation to be very useful. On the QM2 recently we were given the Todd English restaurant to wait disembarkation. We were given tea, coffee, cakes and free newspapers while we waited and got off the ship earlier than we expected.

Platinum does not get priority disembarkation. The lounge (TE on QM2) is nice but at least by the rules you leave at your standard time.

Roy

Our favorite place to wait for disembarkation is the Veuve Clicquot lounge: comfortable seats (if you arrive early enough) and a very short walk when your turn to leave is called.

Platinum does not get priority disembarkation. The lounge (TE on QM2) is nice but at least by the rules you leave at your standard time.

Roy

Yes it does. We're platinum and have had priority disembarkation twice now.

I have the paperwork in front of me with "Cunard World Club Lounge for Diamond and Platinum Members". For your comfort and and pleasure we are delighted to invite our Diamond and Platinum guests to relax in the Todd English Restaurant.

Yes it does. We're platinum and have had priority disembarkation twice now.

I have the paperwork in front of me with "Cunard World Club Lounge for Diamond and Platinum Members". For your comfort and and pleasure we are delighted to invite our Diamond and Platinum guests to relax in the Todd English Restaurant.

Isn't that just a different lounge to sit (sorry, relax) in, while you wait for normal disembarkation time, with no priority time-wise?

Mary

Isn't that just a different lounge to sit (sorry, relax) in, while you wait for normal disembarkation time, with no priority time-wise?

Mary

We were told we could disembark by the WC man an hour before our given time (by tag colour).

The point I was really trying to make was about the tea, coffee, cakes, newspapers in a comfortable lounge instead of being squeezed in the Queens Room or wherever.

The last thing we should be advocating on this board is a WC program with tiers determined by cruise nights only. Considering how many 7 night TA's Cunard clients take on QM2 that system would be highly disadvantageous. And some us started accumulating voyages on 6 night TAs. I made Platinum on a lot less than 70 nights and I expect to make Diamond in a lot less than 150 nights. The last thing I want is a change in the rules part way through.

I agree that it would be disadvantageous to you and others that sail for 6-7 days, just think it would be much easier to understand and administer.

Archived