City tours of Rome

We are cruising on Serenade of the Seas October 8. We've been to Rome before and done the Vatican, St. Peters, etc. We would like a tour of the city with some free time. Is it feasible to hook up with a tour at the dock, or would we do better with one of RCCL's tours?

We are cruising on Serenade of the Seas October 8. We've been to Rome before and done the Vatican, St. Peters, etc. We would like a tour of the city with some free time. Is it feasible to hook up with a tour at the dock, or would we do better with one of RCCL's tours?

Hi,

I booked a tour using Romecabs. They have lots of tours. We were picked up (eight friends) at the ship on the last day of our cruise. We went on a day trip to Castel Gandolfo and a nice lunch. After our sightseeing, they took us to our hotel in Rome where we stayed for several days before heading home.

They were great and I would use them again in a minute.

Check out the section on CC under ports of call. You'll find lots of great info there.

Happy planning.

MaryW

Just wanted to second the recommendation for Rome cabs. They can make suggestions in advance about what your itinerary would be like when you tell them what you have already seen and done on your past tours. The owner Stefano, is a wonderful man and if there Re any glitches I can assure you he will work things out to your satisfaction even long after the trip has been completed.( we had no problems in any way with the tour)

It's been 6 years since we toured Rome with Stefano. We saw everything in 1 day, except for the Vatican Museum. Even went to the Catacombs which was very interesting ! He even bought my 12 year old Grandson a book about the Colliseum when we went there. Took us to a great place for lunch, gave us a cell phone and said call me when you want me to pick you up. After lunch, he said he had a surprise for my Grandson. We walked around the corner and there was the Ferrari store ! Jack thought he had died and went to heaven !!

What an awesome man !

Since you have already been to Rome, the hop-on hop-off busses may be a good option. Or take the train into Rome - getting off at the Termini station (just be weary of pick pockets), you are only a 20 minute walk from the Coliseum/Forum/Palatine & Capitoline Hill, etc. Note: There is also an RCI train that is a little more expensive, but if there is a delay on the train lines, and you are on theirs, the ship will not sail away without you.

Please join us on our meet and mingle. There are lots of people doing private tours.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1620093

Rome will be difficult because it's a Sunday. Most of the Vatican attractions will be closed anyway. We have done the Civitavecchia to Rome train and it's not bad. I'm concerned the trains will be running on a weekend schedule which may give us less choices.

Once you get to Rome the Subway is also an option, an all day pass is inexpensive.

Enjoy your cruise! See you on the 10th.

Archived