Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

You may not be interested, but if you want to hear one of the most impressive speeches of all time, you should listen to Julia Gillard's mysogyny speech directed at him in Parliament. Utterly compelling. I genuinely think it is the finest speech any woman has ever made .... perhaps without even that caveat. She is Welsh you know ....

I just finished viewing the full 15-minute-long speech in October 2012 by the then Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard. It was an interesting speech!! Not boring, nor was she ever in doubt or lacking vigor as she was attacking Tony Abbott as what she viewed as a "misogynist" and sexist.

What's true? Don't want to get into too much "politicsl" here on these Cruise Critic boards. BUT, in 2013 as we prepared for our January 2014 trip to Australia, I did lots of reading and following of the daily politics, economy, etc., for that fascinating nation down under. What I recall was that Julia Gillard became very, very unpopular, was dumped as PM in June 2013 by her own Labor Party members and then in September 2013, Tony Abbott's coalition won by a wide margin to become Prime Minister. A few other facts that I found interesting are that Abbott was born in England, has a Masters from Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar in 1981, has a professional-working wife with their three daughters, etc.

Don't know who is right or wrong in the attacks and/or in being sexist or not. BUT, just thought that I would share a little background in addition to that speech link.

In America, there have been many pictures of Presidents or those seeking that office that make them look "silly" or in a little less than ideal situation. That's part of what makes politics interesting and "great sport"!!! With YouTube and the Internet, it is easier now to share that type of info, use it as an attack point, etc. Ultimately, the voters sort it "ALL" out, decide what is important or not, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 90,761 views for this posting.

congrats on the OSU win. It was some game, in fact both duck and bucks games really good. So too was sparty game.

The bathing suit photo...well some things better left unsaid.

Loved the travelogue and photo pictorial of Paris...just yummy in every respect.

Since so many of you are so well traveled, has anyone been to Tikal National Park? We have an opportunity to go, and I would like to see the Mayan ruins.

When I was in honduras, twice, the people I was visitng would not let me go to Copan as it was considered too dangerous. At my advanced age, I would like to make the most of my travels...so hoping som one of you has been there and can give some sage advice.

On the home front, I am making to do lists. They get longer and longer.

Don't want to get into too much "politicsl" here on these Cruise Critic boards. BUT, in 2013 as we prepared for our January 2014 trip to Australia, I did lots of reading and following of the daily politics, economy, etc., for that fascinating nation down under. What I recall was that Julia Gillard became very, very unpopular, was dumped as PM in June 2013 by her own Labor Party members and then in September 2013, Tony Abbott's coalition won by a wide margin to become Prime Minister.

You have missed the bit about how she came to power. Basically her predecessor Kevin Rudd mishandled so many issues he was becoming a liability to his party and more importantly the country. He was running what was seen as a wasteful government, mishandling refugees/asylum seekers, unions and the economy amongst other things. Most remember him really only for "The Apology" which we were in Oz at the time to hear. He seemed to fire good people and listen to flakier people. He was an avoider of big important issues. He was popular amongst the population but only because he did popular things irrespective of whether they were right or affordable. He was a big gesture but dysfunctional PM.

This I think is a great article .......How will history judge Kevin Rudd?

It became clear that he would lose a vote of no confidence. Such a vote is delayable but generally speaking is only delaying the inevitable. She gained power because of her leadership to dismount what was becoming a liability to Oz and the party. As you say, she became unpopular but then how many leaders loses power for any other reason?

Abbott won not just because of Gillard, but probably even more so because of Rudd and his legacy.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

You have missed the bit about how she came to power. Basically her predecessor Kevin Rudd mishandled so many issues he was becoming a liability to his party and more importantly the country. He was running what was seen as a wasteful government, mishandling refugees/asylum seekers, unions and the economy amongst other things. Most remember him really only for "The Apology" which we were in Oz at the time to hear. He seemed to fire good people and listen to flakier people. He was an avoider of big important issues. He was popular amongst the population but only because he did popular things irrespective of whether they were right or affordable. He was a big gesture but dysfunctional PM.

This I think is a great article .......How will history judge Kevin Rudd?

It became clear that he would lose a vote of no confidence. Such a vote is delayable but generally speaking is only delaying the inevitable. She gained power because of her leadership to dismount what was becoming a liability to Oz and the party. As you say, she became unpopular but then how many leaders loses power for any other reason? Abbott won not just because of Gillard, but probably even more so because of Rudd and his legacy. :)

Super excellent points and background from Jeff!! Appreciate that clip from The Age. Yes, I do remember that Rudd had his serious "baggage", too!! That's partly why and how Julia Gillard dumped him originally from power as PM in June 2010. Then, Rudd returned the "favor" to her in 2013. Before voters threw out their party later in 2013.

Having followed and been involved in politics for five decades, "winning" is many times based on wanting to dump that other person. It's not you that always wins, but the opponent who loses.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 191,276 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry . . . congrats on the OSU win. It was some game, in fact both duck and bucks games really good. So too was sparty game.

Loved the travelogue and photo pictorial of Paris...just yummy in every respect.

Since so many of you are so well traveled, has anyone been to Tikal National Park? We have an opportunity to go, and I would like to see the Mayan ruins.

On the home front, I am making to do lists. They get longer and longer.

Appreciate the congrats and nice follow-up from Candy in sunny South Florida. Super fun game for Ohio State, plus the other big, exciting wins yesterday by Michigan State and Wisconsin. Great past few days for the Big Ten conference and nice to see some "justice" come to the SEC conference with the Alabama, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, LSU and Auburn losses. Will have more pictures to share in the coming days. You've seen others in the recent weeks.

Sorry, have not been to Tikal National Park, nor even anywhere close in that part of the world. But, need to get there in the future. Have heard wonderful things for being down there.

Good to be doing your lists and working ahead on a successful 2015.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 22,471 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

spinnaker2, have never been to Tikal but some day we'll get to that part of the world to see Mayan ruins. We haven't been to Central America much. Chris will have to brush up on her Spanish for that one... I'm sticking to French!

Jeff, we only stayed in Paris for Christmas weekend. We arrived Thursday morning (Christmas Day) and left on Sunday. It was a little crazy to go that far for just a long weekend but we are glad that we did it. I'll post a few more pictures coming up...

We did New Year's back in the States. Wish we'd been able to stay longer, for sure. But we'll have another day there this spring, we hope, before our Rhone cruise.

Paris - day 2

We slept later than anticipated and awoke at 7:30. My phone had disconnected from the hotel's Wi-Fi so I didn't get Alicia's message that she was leaving, so we said goodbye via text message as she zipped towards DeGaulle in her taxi.

Breakfast at the hotel was delicious, and after plenty of coffee we were ready to head out. Nice weather today with fair skies though barely above freezing. We went with our outdoor plan, which was to visit some gardens/parks and try to catch the view from Tour Montparnasse. The Arc de Triomphe looked beautiful set against a nice blue sky - then, down into the Metro station to catch the RER:

Paris%2520for%2520CC-12.jpg

Our first stop was Luxembourg Gardens. I love the lines of trees, cut arrow-straight, lining long paths that is such a common element in formal gardens. It even looks pretty without leaves!

Paris%2520for%2520CC-13.jpg

Interesting statuary of the two naked parents letting their child pet a goat... Put some clothes on! I grew up around goats and they like to nibble on things!

Paris%2520for%2520CC-14.jpg

These beautiful green birds were looking for food under a pine tree. Anyone know what type they are? We didn't but they look nice:

Paris%2520for%2520CC-15.jpg

Off to check out a few water features here - there's a fountain in this pool, behind the main "palace" in this garden. The French Senate now meets here, so security is tight and you can't visit the palace. But the view is nice:

Paris%2520for%2520CC-16.jpg

And here is the famous Medicis Fountain:

Paris%2520for%2520CC-17.jpg

Off to find St Sulpice, and see the famous meridian line (that really isn't one) as featured in The Da Vinci Code.

We've got a week of new central heating boiler installation next week. So I am really trying to spoil wifey as food is going to be dire next week. So today was some really lovely dry aged an severely enormous Bone in Rib-eye (Cote de Boeuf) with some fries large mushrooms and some canned tomato and a side salad. She really loved it and has just come in to give me a cuddle to say thanks. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Paris - day 2Our first stop was Luxembourg Gardens. I love the lines of trees, cut arrow-straight, lining long paths that is such a common element in formal gardens. It even looks pretty without leaves! Off to check out a few water features here - there's a fountain in this pool, behind the main "palace" in this garden. The French Senate now meets here, so security is tight and you can't visit the palace. And here is the famous Medicis Fountain.

Super great that JP shared more on Paris, including with the wonderful Luxembourg Gardens. You missed the leaves, but also the crowds that happen there during the spring, summer, etc., with nicer weather. Below are a few more of my Paris memories to help promote the smart wisdom for visiting in Paris.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 90,940 views for this posting.

First, here are three different views from in and around the amazing and very enjoyable Luxembourg Gardens. You can see lots of the crowds on this sunny Sunday afternoon in April 2007. Plus, the back of a dramatic piece of outdoor sculpture. Very popular area that is well known to the locals in Paris!!:

Jan2015AA2_zpsca4d802d.jpg

Jan2015AA3_zps10b3672c.jpg

Jan2015AA1_zps743a4540.jpg

From the Palais Garnie or as called Opéra Garnier now, it is the famed 1,979-seat opera house built from 1861 to 1875. First is its Grand Foyer that is 18 meters high, 154 meters long and 13 meters wide. It was designed to act as a drawing room for Paris society for those seeking to "see and be seen". It was beautifully restored in 2004. Second is the 1964 ceiling painting by Marc Chagall in a removable frame over the original to depict scenes from operas by fourteen different composers.:

Jan2015AA5_zpsd444ba47.jpg

Jan2015AA4_zps53aa8b7b.jpg

Plus, a little more great art. Here is a fine work, as I recall, by Mr. Renoir from the Musée de l'Orangerie with its gallery of impressionist and post-impressionist paintings.:

Jan2015AA6_zps549f6536.jpg

We've got a week of new central heating boiler installation next week. So I am really trying to spoil wifey as food is going to be dire next week. So today was some really lovely dry aged an severely enormous Bone in Rib-eye (Cote de Boeuf) with some fries large mushrooms and some canned tomato and a side salad. She really loved it and has just come in to give me a cuddle to say thanks. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Sounds like great dining delights for you and your wife. Pictures?? Food and cuddling??

Good luck on the boiler installation. We have a low-pressure boiler system in our home and it works well. BUT, when the boiler needed replaced a few years back, it was not cheap.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 167,526 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Being totally off-topic, which it a perfect fit here, here are a couple of "other" items. First, gasoline prices here in the USA. Right after Christmas in driving through Missouri on the way back from Kansas, here was one of the best gas pricing signs. For the past few days at the BP station on North High Street nearest to our home, the price has been $1.81.9. Good or super great to be that low?? And for those in Europe, this is the price per GALLON, not per liter.

Below is the "Silver Box" that arrived in the mail yesterday! BUT, it was without the fancy red leather luggage tags that we got in June 2010. Will report on my live/blog for how things "work" during our Silver Cloud cruise starting Jan. 24, 2015. Lots of questions have come up on these boards recently from experienced, solid SS long-time customers. I am sure some "things" have changed since July 2010. But, how much and does "it" make that much of a practical difference? Inquiring minds are interested in knowing more.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. We are now at 191,364 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Photo proof for good gasoline pricing in the USA. Here from Missouri along I-70 near St. Louis. Even down to $1.81 in Columbus during recent days.:

Jan2015AA12_zpsb82747a5.jpg

On other Silversea threads, Jeff, Candy and others have kick around lots of questions on this cruise line and its future. Our update is that here is the "Silver Box" that arrived yesterday. No luxury red leather luggage tags as we got in 2010 and as shown in this picture. This current booklet is nice, but, overall, I do not recall this 2015 package being as "fancy" as the earlier one. What's more important for us, however, is the quality of the food, staff, service, etc., while on the ship.:

Jan2015AA7_zps0e6d85fc.jpg

As I have noted before, I am not a great chef like Jeff, but here is an update for our evening dining experience at our favorite neighborhood place, the Iron Grill BBQ & Brew. Have shown pictures from there previously. In fact, my cooking skills are limited to doing basic warm-ups, heating canned soup and making popcorn in the microwave.

Look good and interesting? Now watching the start of the NFL play-offs. The NFL, for those in Europe, is the National Football League. They are the big-time pro's who will have their Super Bowl game on Feb. 2 while we are sailing on the Amazon River in Brazil.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 45,338 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

First, it was a cold draft of my favorite, Stella Artois. Then their wonderful baby back ribs with onion rings and garlic toast. The owner came by and offered us, for free, some of her home-made apple pie. Wonderful!! We shared the dessert among the four of us at our table. These pictures were taken with my iPhone, but they worked out fairly well in quality.:

Jan2015AA14_zpsa4007ae1.jpg

Jan2015AA15_zpse421a98e.jpg

Jan2015AA16_zpsa999ae11.jpg

Before our Saturday night dinner, our afternoon fun was attending an Ohio State University basketball game in the 18,000+ seat campus arena. The game was nationally broadcast on ESPN and there was a special group dropping by that caused the fan to celebrate wildly with a standing ovation.

It was the Buckeye football team, coach Urban Meyer, etc.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 26,004 views on this posting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

First, the OSU football team was honored on center court of the basketball game versus Illinois. You can see the Ohio State coach, Urban Meyer, who has already won two National Championships while at Florida. He is in the white shirt. He is then being interviewed by the ESPN sports announcers. These various shots were taken from my seats across the court with my Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm lens. Thursday night OSU beat number-one-ranked Alabama to advance to the National Championship football game versus Oregon on Jan. 12 in Arlington, Texas.:

Jan2015AA17_zpsad0f80cd.jpg

Jan2015AA18_zps272cb580.jpg

Now, back to the basketball game with the 20th ranked Buckeyes. They went on to rally for a 77-61 victory. OSU is now 12-3 for the season as they move into the heart of the Big Ten season. These pictures give a sampling of the "action" during the game, including with one of the super fans at court-side who is dressed to cheer his favorite team to victory. He goes by the title of "Buck-Eye-Guy" and gets lots TV attention while attending high-profile, national games.:

Jan2015AA19_zpse7f44324.jpg

Jan2015AA22_zps5fa668df.jpg

Jan2015AA21_zpsb7514fd8.jpg

Jan2015AA20_zps1cc7a89c.jpg

Good Morning Terry ..... those ribs look lovely!

It's never too late to start progressing from "warming up" to "cooking"!

You've clearly made a great success of your life and the great thing about cooking is that you never ever succeed in getting it right. There is always "room for improvement" and things to learn! It's lovely to eat something whilst on your travels and making something close to it when you return. I know I'm not going to convince you .....

I made some nice Remy Martin christmas pudding ice cream ..... now where would you buy such a thing ... and so easy .... even you could ......:eek:

Good Morning Terry ..... those ribs look lovely! It's never too late to start progressing from "warming up" to "cooking"! You've clearly made a great success of your life and the great thing about cooking is that you never ever succeed in getting it right. There is always "room for improvement" and things to learn! It's lovely to eat something whilst on your travels and making something close to it when you return. I know I'm not going to convince you ..... I made some nice Remy Martin christmas pudding ice cream ..... now where would you buy such a thing ... and so easy .... even you could

Appreciate so much Jeff's kind comments and strong encouragement. My wife's brother in Kansas is a super cook/chef. Wonderfully skilled!! Our son in Virginia does most of the cooking there. I do a decent amount on the grill for those treats. Wise, smart comment on "progressing from 'warming up' to 'cooking' ". Will keep thinking about those things. For now, I am more focused on getting ready in 20 days to depart for Barbados and our Amazon-Caribbean sailing. Been thinking more about what special foods, sauces, etc., to seek during this 26-day sailing. Plus, enjoying the sun. Yesterday in Columbus, we had a decent amount of rain (1.26"), but a temperature high of 57 °F or 13.9 °C. Getting colder now and 1-3" of snow is coming Monday. It will be down to 14 °F tonight and a feel of being like it is minus three degrees F.

On the ribs, they not only looked good, but tasted super. The best news? I only ate last night about two-thirds of this rack. Have the rest of the ribs, plus two onion rings, in the refridge now. Ready to enjoy later today or on Monday!! These "left-overs" make a wonderful lunch treat!

Tell us more and/or show us a visual on the Remy Martin christmas pudding ice cream. Sounds spectacular.

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,181 views for this posting.

Terry,

Sometimes all the best ideas are when they are blossomed under the effluence of incohol. A few years ago I was looking at the mountain of Christmas pudding left over, with an enormous vat of custard ... and thought (light bulb) "custard is unfrozen ice cream ... I'll crumble the pudding and slam it all into the Gaggia with the custard with a slurp more of Remy ... switch it on ... drink a bit more Remy and see what happens in an hour or so" .... and in a hour or so we had what was one of the best ice creams we have ever tasted. I know puddings aren't so big in the US, but you can do nearly the same thing with a rich fruit cake soaked in a bit of brandy (not too much to inhibit freezing) or if you see a jar of mince that is used for mince pies. It's all pretty similar. Experiment. If you have an ice cream maker it is a worthwhile experiment. I also made sherry trifle ice cream when I had had a nice bottle of wine once. It just seemed right and it was. :)

Today was chicken breast stuffed with chestnut stuffing with famous mash and brussels .... (no peas again Spin ....)

EC9DE74C-1CBF-403D-8479-4398C8A93FA3.jpg

Terry, Sometimes all the best ideas are when they are blossomed under the effluence of incohol.

Today was chicken breast stuffed with chestnut stuffing with famous mash and brussels

Excellent picture/dinner and inspiring details on the Remy Martin christmas pudding ice cream. In the words of certain famous people . . . "I'll drink to your success!" Wonderful. Keep it coming.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 167,668 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We were in Southeast PA this weekend visiting Chris' father and had several delicious meals there... There are so many good restaurants that it's impossible to visit each of them in one trip. Last night we had a veritable smorgasbord of Spanish Tapas at the Matador restaurant in Wayne PA. We love this place! If you're ever in the area, check this place out. Website

We started with some glasses of Cava while perusing the menu.

The tapas were delicious as well - we started with:

Ceviche (calamari, shrimp, crab, scallops, lime-serrano vinaigrette) and Gambas al Ajillo (sizzling garlic shrimp, guindilla peppers).

Accompanied by a glass of Albarino and a glass of Rueda.

That was followed by a bunch of heavier tapas:

Pollo Fundido (grilled chicken in Tequila scented Chihuahua cheese, soft tortillas)

Chorizo Bilbao a la Plancha (skewered grilled chorizo)

Carne Asada (grilled skirt steak)

And of course some Patatas Bravas (spicy potatoes, pimento aioli)

The Garnacha was delicious accompanying these. So delicious, that it was a good thing we ordered the whole bottle.

Screenshot_2015-01-04-16-18-10.jpg

Dessert was Churros with chocolate dipping sauce, and Tres leches cake.

I wish we'd taken pictures but I was too busy enjoying the food to get around to that! I was amazed with the Garnacha. It held up to smoked paprika in the chorizo and with the potatoes which is an impressive feat for most reds!

While we were in Wayne we had an opportunity to visit the Beer Yard, which is a no-frills beer store with tons of interesting stuff in stock. I found a case of 500 ml bottles of Dopplebock from Kloster Andechs, which we had visited in June 2013. Enjoying one now while I type this post!

20150104_155352.jpg

I just wish my glass were still that full...

Interesting weather here - snow yesterday, mild today, and a deep freeze approaching this week! Stay warm, everyone!

JP and Chris

Meal sounds delicious.

Thanks for the green Jeff.

I just made or shall I say started two five liter jars of preserved lemons. My Meyer lemon tree is losing its fruit and leaves, and I believe is succumbing to some fatal fruit tree disease. Fortunately it doesn't effect the taste of the fruit.

I have never made preserved lemons. Once my office staff tried to make limoncello with the lemons, but it was awful.

So we will see about this attempt.

If it works I will have enough to supply an army.

Enjoy Monday!

Terry, I forgot to ask, from where do you depart?