Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Just wanted to wish all my friends here around the Cooler all the very best wishes for Christmas. Please take care, be safe and enjoy!

Really enjoy reading all your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas!

Karin

Well today is the day ..... JP and Chris off to "gay Paree......"

Just remember the words of Nora Bayes in 1919 JP .... Chris may never come back :eek:

JP safe travels ... and don't forget to keep us with you if the opportunity presents .... and remember my wife's favourite bar with the guillotine (Le Caveau des Oubliettes) .... that should keep Chris in line ... a bit of jazz and executions .......:D

Guillotine-Caveau-des-Oubliettes.jpg

le_caveau_des_oubliettes_pub_y_club_de_jazz_115151.jpg

paul Newman.

That video of joe was wonderful.

Of that era I also loved Richie havens.

Hard to believe it's 45 years ago.

The video was wonderful. For me a little bit special and touches a base point.

His story of course was about a pop singer in Paris meeting a famous French actress when they were young and because I had a rather pointless career of spinning records for a while and was befriended by a lovely French singer, you may recall if you have an over-long memory from earlier in the thread eg #253 and #389 Like him and her, she was a little older than me and very French. Re-reading some memories of French women and wonderful Paris. Gosh I do feel old. These memories.

Tels sont les mystères de la vie .....

Jeff

Wishing one and all a Very Happy & Peaceful Christmas and A Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Sophia

Yes, Merry Christmas and best wishes for a great 2015. In Kansas now, getting ready for the holiday with my wife's family out here. Lots of fancy foods and dining. Will take pictures!!

As I promised (or threatened) earlier, below are some of my visuals on Cuba from visiting there in March 2011. It was a totally amazing visit with so much history, charm, music, etc. there in Havana, plus seeing the western nature and eastern areas that we got to see and explore. Saw the area where the Bay of Pigs invasion happened (not a great pick on location from a military standpoint). Also saw the Varadero coastal resort areas with their many hotels that attract many from Europe and Canada.

Cruise ship visits to Cuba?: It will happen in the future, but there is so much there, including during the evenings, that just a one day, 8 am to 6 pm, as a normal cruise stop will not do these many opportunities proper "justice". As a student of history and architecture, there is so much to experience in Cuba. I can share lots of the "politics" of Cuba, but this is not the right, best location for those discussions and debates.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 190,261 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

So much of Havana is about the historic architecture, charm and character contained in the many part of this town that was the pivotal center of the Spanish empire in the "New World". Second is the Hotel Nacional de Cuba designed by the famed New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White. It opened in 1930. Many, many famous folks stayed here, including meetings of mob/mafia people as shown in the Godfather film. This hotel had been restored in 2001 when we visited there.:

Dec2014A71_zps5a39eab7.jpg

Dec2014A101_zpsefbc6df5.jpg

One of the amazing highlights for being in Havana is going to see the outdoor entertainment program at the Tropicana. With about 200 entertainers, the cast is huge and very talented. Here is one of my photo examples from this spectacular music, dancing and singing program.:

Dec2014A111_zps038ea269.jpg

Lots of outdoor "activities" can be seen in Havana, including these performers on the streets.:

Dec2014A91_zpsdce4193f.jpg

We visited a cigar manufacturing location in Havana. Most interesting? The workers were paid based on both the quality and quantity of their daily production!! Sound very capitalistic?:

Dec2014A81_zpsafecd331.jpg

About seven miles outside of Havana, we visited Ernest Hemingway's home in Cuba. Called Finca Vigía (Spanish for Lookout Farm), it was his home from 1939 to 1960. It is now a museum and looks just as when he lived and wrote there. Nearby was the seaside village that ties in with the basis for his book "The Old Man and the Sea".:

Dec2014A121_zps68fd4543.jpg

Terry, very nice. Mixed feelings about visiting some day, and definitely agree that a single cruise stop wouldn't cut it. What might be perfect is a few stops on an expedition ship, with more in-depth tours that allowed one to appreciate the architecture and history. Hm... Silversea does have to reposition the Silver Explorer twice a year. Maybe in a few years that might happen.

Jeff, Chris is a big city girl. I'm the one originally from the farm. I put Le Caveau on my list of places to wander by. Looks like it's right near Ile de la Cite, so we'll be in that area I'm sure.

Merry Christmas all - will be raising a glass in the AF lounge at JFK this evening, if all goes according to plan. I will look out the window as we cross the Atlantic for a sleigh with reindeer. Maybe an extra glass will help us see something? :p

Tomorrow we hope to be climbing the Eiffel Tower. It's only 704 steps to the second floor which shouldn't be bad. The cathedral in Ulm has more steps than that, and we climbed it in May. Have to burn a few calories to prepare for all that rich French food we'll be eating!

Terry, very nice. Mixed feelings about visiting some day, and definitely agree that a single cruise stop wouldn't cut it. What might be perfect is a few stops on an expedition ship, with more in-depth tours that allowed one to appreciate the architecture and history. Hm... Silversea does have to reposition the Silver Explorer twice a year. Maybe in a few years that might happen. Jeff, Chris is a big city girl. I'm the one originally from the farm. I put Le Caveau on my list of places to wander by. Looks like it's right near Ile de la Cite, so we'll be in that area I'm sure. Tomorrow we hope to be climbing the Eiffel Tower. It's only 704 steps to the second floor which shouldn't be bad.

Appreciate the nice comments and follow-up from JP. Super enjoy Paris, one of my all-time favorite cities from our four visits there. In honor of your visit to Paris and your climb up that famed tower, below are a just a few of my files visuals from there.

No doubt in my mind about wanting to visit Cuba again. Once you've sampled its history, music and charm, it is easy to wish to visit there again.

We are now at 31 days till we depart for our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silver Cloud. Still have a decent amount of research and planning to do!! Lots to port stop options to consider.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 89,212 views for this posting.

Some Paris samples, including their famed tower from one angle. Second is a view of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris, commonly known as Sacré-Cœur. It was finished in 1914. 100 years old this year! This view is from the top of the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile. Third is inside one of neighborhood bakery with so many wonderful treats. Finally, a view of the Eiffel Tower from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.:

Dec2014AA1_zps417e93e9.jpg

Dec2014AA4_zpscd749302.jpg

Dec2014AA3_zps5cc925c8.jpg

Dec2014AA2_zps87d6897f.jpg

No Spinnykins ... the drawbridge is up and the portcullis down. NO BOARDERS! We've seen the family .... and they look much the same as last year :)

That mash was the star.

Just cut wifeykins some brie and some mouldy ole' cheese that seems to 'ave gone all blue .. and thrown her a few grapes and crispy apples. There's still a pulse so all is well.

116B1D8A-365E-4D1C-BFC7-C68C9FCF3878.jpg

hope all are well and enjoying the Christmas spirit with family and friends and acquaintances of their choice. we are having leftovers from last night's tree trimming party. twas quite festive!

No left overs here in Kansas for Christmas Day. See some visual samples below. More to come. Getting ready for the main dining event of this special day.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 22,384 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here is the standing rib roast getting ready to come out of the Green Egg smoker-grill. Smelling super great. My wife's brother is the super chef. Smells wonderful!!:

Dec2014AA11_zpscc06325a.jpg

Dec2014AA21_zpsbf4baad8.jpg

My in-laws home in Kansas is well-decorated. Below are a few examples, plus the "Queen" of their home, a 15-year-old Golden. Super senior dog, but still looking good!:

Dec2014AA31_zpse31d69fa.jpg

Dec2014AA41_zpsc2f2293f.jpg

Dec2014AA6_zps9a18a6db.jpg

Dec2014AA5_zps1797dcdc.jpg

Terry, You didn't cook that lovely dog did you? And then tried to resuscitate with a defib . I can see the cables! "Resuscitate! Resuscitate!" Enjoy the meal! Jeff

Yes, Jeff, we super enjoyed our wonderful meal with my wife's brother and his wife's family here in Junction City, Kansas. Need proof that thing were good? Below is some of my photo evidence.

No! No! The dog was totally safe. No problems or worries in that manner. Cute comment/question!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 25,899 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Here are a few of our dining delights in Kansas today. First, the salad. Second, the mashed potatoes are ready with plenty of gravy nearby. Third is the standing rib roast being carved. Third shows some of the corn dish. Finally, my plate as an examples for how things came together, including with the green beans. Loved the meat flavor from the cooker/smoker with its cherry-wood adding a little extra spice. Excellent!!:

Dec2014AA10_zps1e87dbec.jpg

Dec2014AA12_zpsd06bc5dc.jpg

Dec2014AA11_zps0ec4ad81.jpg

Dec2014AA13_zps0866f6b0.jpg

Dec2014AA14_zps70cc9de9.jpg

Thanks, Terry! Today the pictures, tomorrow - the real thing!

So, JP, how did your climb do and go at the famed tower in Paris? Inquiring minds want to know!! What else is on your agenda for Paris and its wonderful options?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 166,775 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hope all are recuperating from the food and festivities.

JP, when my son was on Paris working on a national science foundation grant two years ago, he was lucky enough to see the inner workings of the Eiffel Tower. He posted photos on his blog, which showed the machinery which is a lot of the original innards.

Hope you are enjoying Paris in the winter!

Happy Boxing Day! Saw that snow and gale force winds predicted in the UK.

Stay warm and dry. It's a little dreary here in south Florida, temperatures in the mid 60's F.

Not swimming weather.

Jeff, thanks for all your earlier tips, we are recently back from the Silver Wind, Dubai to Singapore which was a great cruise and loved Singapore and the gardens wing at The Shangri La was superb.

A warning, BA lounge in Singapore was a disaster, there is no FC lounge so you have to sit in the business lounge, well you,would if there were any available seats, which there were not, so after a lot of fuss they sent us to the new, huge, very smart Qantas Lounge, where all was calm and tranquil, and on request they will find some French bubbles for you. BA was poor especially as they now have the A380 on this route, which we enjoyed, but even more reason why they should have a decent Lounge.

No such problem in London on the way out where the Concord Room delivered as expected.

All good wishes for the New Year.

Jeff, thanks for all your earlier tips, we are recently back from the Silver Wind, Dubai to Singapore which was a great cruise and loved Singapore and the gardens wing at The Shangri La was superb.

A warning, BA lounge in Singapore was a disaster, there is no FC lounge so you have to sit in the business lounge, well you,would if there were any available seats, which there were not, so after a lot of fuss they sent us to the new, huge, very smart Qantas Lounge, where all was calm and tranquil, and on request they will find some French bubbles for you. BA was poor especially as they now have the A380 on this route, which we enjoyed, but even more reason why they should have a decent Lounge.

No such problem in London on the way out where the Concord Room delivered as expected.

All good wishes for the New Year.

Hi, thanks for your "thanks" and great to hear that you had a good stay.

Yes, considering that Changi is one of the finest airports in the world, the BA F/J lounge is a disgrace. It has always been that way. But as there are only 4 flights a day I guess they aren't too fussed.

The Qantas lounge is as you say better but can become a bit noisy and boisterous and because their flights finish earlier than BAs there can be no catering when you might visit late in the evening for the BA flights. In future if you are able the Cathay Marco Polo F lounge is good .... but I would give the lounges a complete miss except for some alcohol and have a wander around the airport and then head for "The Staff Canteen" .... Changi's best secret .... ;)

Next time you should try this.

Secret to eating like a local (& cheaply) at Changi Airport

The Staff Canteen at Changi Airport: Singapore

Looking forward to our visit in a few weeks.