Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

I googled Christina Noble and she is a very interesting lady. I read a newspaper interview from a couple of years ago and she seems an amazing lady and would very interesting to meet.

Donation sent and had Vietnamese Coleslaw

Thanks so much for that kind thought!

Re meeting her.

I first saw her when National Geographic did a couple of programmes about her work and I made contact with her. She was wandering around the streets at night "saving" homeless kids.

At that time we were pioneering the idea of incentivised customer feedback, and later pioneered on-line completion. The majority of watercoolers will have for example received a form (printed or online) about their computer purchase if they registered EU, US, Asia, etc. There's a very good chance that originated with us as 95%+ of the computers sold in the world comes from a company that was with us at some point.

We realised that we could increase response rates by incentivising but as we were dealing with relatively high-value people a small cash-back wasn't appropriate so we (or more accurately our clients) gave cash contributions for each piece of feedback.

I was anxious that we picked charities that had grown to exactly the point where they were not marketing but doing excellent work but running out of cash. I cannot stand large charities in shiney offices. As a matter of principle I will never give my own cash to a charity where the directors earn more than my own income. Christina was a prime candidate, particularly as it was with homeless children which is a special chord with me. The other one we helped was Sreepur Village which was started by a BA cabin crew. I did not get approval for assisting Reprieve and Liberty ..... two other charities we support personally.

I remember once chatting to the chap who runs the Vietnam operation and waxing lyrical about Tricia. I hadn't realised that it was her son (different surname) and we became quite regular contacts when trying to identify specific projects that needed cash.

The day that Tricia called and said she was coming over from Ireland was quite something. She announced that she was bringing her family. It was a day of a very very long lunch and she sang a lot. She had been ill with cancer for a while and I was very worried about her and what wuld become of her foundation and "the kids". Let us say that I was "made an offer" I had to refuse as I had to run a business. We did however continue to help and I was lucky that one of my friends - also a client - loved the idea of the specific projects. To finance one project we had heard of the Baja race and couldn't really afford to sponsor a proper car so entered a 2CV on behalf of the foundation largely to generate publicity for the foundation. I coerced my friend into helping and we paid the sponsorship of the 2CV from our own pockets and Tricia got some cash that was raised.

We raised much more in charitable contributions than our business revenue as some projects involved very high value people and our clients agreed high amounts per piece of feedback. Sometimes her name and work was abused by commercial organisations and we offered help to manage these things. She is very trusting.

I'm so pleased that mentioning her work caused a contribution and want to say again how lovely of you it was. All of us that by good fortune were not born into these situations are fortunate and are obligated. Thanks again!

Hope you enjoyed your meal ......

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Mr L - I get emails from SB and have been very tempted by some of their cruises.

We should all 'jump ship' - would be fun to have a 'Cooler' meet and mingle.

Karin

PS: Mrs L is a very lucky lady.

Hi Karin,

I only sail with Seabourn now after many years with Silversea.

You meet many lovely people and keep in touch to meet up on future cruises.

You must try then you'll see what it's all about.

Mrs L has got used to the high life,she expects it now and takes it in her stride.

Only eleven days now Julie until you are in London

It's nice and hot and sunny here.

Edited by Mr Luxury

To whom it may concern .... including Spinaker!

I' m not a tapatalk user but know that many do. My limited use is that it only posts small piccies - which is compeltely useless so I just played to see if it's function could be stretched.

If you use an ipad to photograph - 99% of my watercooler uploads have been direct from the ipad - and if you have Photobucket set to backup your ipad piccies to Photobucket then it is simple to post large ipad pictures.

You go to the image on Photobucket you want to upload to CC, hit the "i" ( information) about the specific picture and hit the copy picture link. It will go yellow for a second and confirm it is in memory. Then go toTapatalk and paste that into your message. Voila a large picture appears. Whenever I use tapatalk to upload the direct picture from the ipad it always seems far too small and useless to me but I amy simply be missing a simple way around this.

Hope this helps others whether they just lurk here but don't post or any others.

More piccies please.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

"I am not the inebriate" - do you remember Edna the Inebriate Woman - one of the best TV performances of all time ......? Patricia Hayes proving that she was a world class actress.

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/459072/

We were waiting for you to join us for elevenses on the balcony today but you didn't show ....

B9CFA780-1429-4DBC-AEB9-460A26CFF5BB.jpg

Jeff it was my pleasure to donate, she is an amazing person..........but don't try any Nigerian scams.........I am awake to it.:D

I am studying your photo tips but I am still struggling. I have photo bucket and shutter fly but I can't get the pictures to show without a link. I will keep trying. I want to show our trip to London.........especially the foodie stuff with Mr L. He isn't reading this is he :eek:.

V8babe a Cooler meet and mingle sounds like a great idea!

Good Afternoon All:)

Tis rather hot here in Yorkieland and it's been a very hectic week so just catching up on all the cooler news whilst trying to get use to the new iPad Air...which is rather testing my patience!

Might try those bacon n chip butties later Jeff...once the staff have gone ;)

Sophia :)

Good Afternoon All:)

Tis rather hot here in Yorkieland and it's been a very hectic week so just catching up on all the cooler news whilst trying to get use to the new iPad Air...which is rather testing my patience!

Might try those bacon n chip butties later Jeff...once the staff have gone ;)

Sophia :)

Sophie Gal,

No bleedin' excuse! You went orf and left us lot 'ere to our own devices, and you know how many devices Lux relies on! :eek:

You get into that kitchin' yourself and rustle up a porky chippy!

Sophie Gal,

No bleedin' excuse! You went orf and left us lot 'ere to our own devices, and you know how many devices Lux relies on! :eek:

You get into that kitchin' yourself and rustle up a porky chippy!

There's one or two devices ere that have almost flown through the window this week! :rolleyes:

Just starting to chill with a cheeky long iced vodka whilst pup is sucking on ice cubes....:D

Good to see you on form....must be that sea air!!

S :)

There is something special about a dog sucking and then crunching on ice cubes. at the end they do seem confused about the lack of taste.

That iced vodka sounds perfect. Just a dot of Noillly in it and a twist of lemon please!

I might do her some sausage rolls tonight. The old fashioned way ie crispy rolls with a Lincolnshire Sausage in each with some slow fried red onions. Forgot to bring the mustard with. Slumming it in a beach hut is a painful thing from a standards viewpoint,

Pup loving the ice....and I'm loving the vodka after a wine free week...so far!

Interesting documentary on later about Hatton Garden, just wondering if my jeweller will feature, although I'd hardly call him a 'Diamond Geezer'.

Sausage rolls sound good, I've had my chip n bacon fix and very nice it was too even though I had to chomp on the hop as my paddock guys are still here grazing!

No Ocado this week...had to make do with a quick Tesco drop early doors tomorrow.....roll on the weekend !

S:)

Jeff it was my pleasure to donate, she is an amazing person..........but don't try any Nigerian scams.........I am awake to it.:D

I am studying your photo tips but I am still struggling. I have photo bucket and shutter fly but I can't get the pictures to show without a link. I will keep trying. I want to show our trip to London.........especially the foodie stuff with Mr L. He isn't reading this is he :eek:.

V8babe a Cooler meet and mingle sounds like a great idea!

You'd better hurry up Julie

Ten days until you reach civilisation

I lost the instructions for posting pictures which I had printed out to take with me, then the photobucket crashed my ipad, so had to delete.

Today we at were in Dutch harbor, Unalaska. Church tour was enlightening from the perspective of the islanders and the icons many of which are from the 1700's.

We did not have enough time to explore.

Next the islands in Russia.

There are 79 pax onboard out of possible 100 plus. Most are delightful. There are a few pills and Complainers, like the lady who saw a whale breach and said is that all?

The suites are tiny, not much storage space, thank goodness we used duffle bags which fit under the beds. The sofa and chair in the cabin are Lilliputian, and my husband who is 6'5 really had a tough time in it. He requested a bigger chair which they graciously accommodated him with. The steward and butler are lovely and have been attentive. The walls of the cabin are pretty thin and unfortunately our neighbors are not pleasant, we hear them cursing thru the walls. We try and avoid them onboard as well as they made a scene on The zodiacs and were nasty to the zodiac driver.

The food has been ok, certainly not stellar, but not inedible. The salmon last night was fresh and outstanding. Most of the staff bend over backwards to please.

Hope all well in the land of the cooler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Mr L - you're on! She loves TOWIE. I asked her why she couldn't find out where Prince Harry was going to be on the night of her birthday and she could 'casually' be there ;)

Jeff - brekky looks yum.

Karin

Thanks for that Mr L - you're on! She loves TOWIE. I asked her why she couldn't find out where Prince Harry was going to be on the night of her birthday and she could 'casually' be there ;)

Jeff - brekky looks yum.

Karin

He's going to be at the Sugar Hut eyeing up those Essex girls;)