UBP - drinks in suite delivered by the butler?

I have researched quite extensively the UBP. Am I correct in understanding that if our butler would bring us for example Cagney's breakfast in suite and I'd like to have a Mimosa it is not included? But if I have it in Cagney's it is included?

So every beverage our butler brings to our suite is considered room service? That would seem natural but I just want to make sure. DH would love a cold beer in suite waiting for him each day after his workout and just trying to calculate the cost efficiency of the package. :)

Thank's all!

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

Beverages in your mini-bar and those delivered by room service are not covered under the UBP or soda card. You are charged for these.

Food and beverages delivered by your butler are considered part of room service, so these are technically not covered either and you would be charged extra. Although I would bet that some butlers occasionally overlook this.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone staying in a suite and taking the UBP actually been charged for drinks delivered by the butler recently?

We are trying to decide if we should try the UBP or not. I understand that it says "room service" is not included. But I haven't read "butler service" not included in their terms of agreements.

I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has had the experience lately. Thanks!

Has anyone staying in a suite and taking the UBP actually been charged for drinks delivered by the butler recently?

We are trying to decide if we should try the UBP or not. I understand that it says "room service" is not included. But I haven't read "butler service" not included in their terms of agreements.

I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has had the experience lately. Thanks!

Last September, we had UBP and a suite... butler declined to bring us cocktails under the UBP.

We will try again in 48 days on the Star.

From a practical standpoint, I can see why this would be a problem for the butlers. Throwing out the idea of anyone "cheating" the UBP for a moment, the butlers could really get tied up with suite guests ordering legit drinks on the UBP. I would be finishing one before the butler returned with the next...

Last September, we had UBP and a suite... butler declined to bring us cocktails under the UBP.

We will try again in 48 days on the Star.

From a practical standpoint, I can see why this would be a problem for the butlers. Throwing out the idea of anyone "cheating" the UBP for a moment, the butlers could really get tied up with suite guests ordering legit drinks on the UBP. I would be finishing one before the butler returned with the next...

Thanks for the quick response! Do you mean last month or September 2013? Since you plan to try again, does that mean that the UBP was a good decision and worth the big bucks they are charging? we enjoy having cocktails on the balcony, but running to the bar to get it could get old after a day or two.

Oh, one other question, can my husband or a friend (who also gets the UBP) take my card along with their own card, of course, and get the drink for me?

Thanks for the quick response! Do you mean last month or September 2013? Since you plan to try again, does that mean that the UBP was a good decision and worth the big bucks they are charging? we enjoy having cocktails on the balcony, but running to the bar to get it could get old after a day or two.

Oh, one other question, can my husband or a friend (who also gets the UBP) take my card along with their own card, of course, and get the drink for me?

Sorry, yes... Sept 2013... time flies.

That time, though, the UBP was $49 rather than the $54/$59 it is now. I do some quick math, and we get close, but by no means is cost the only factor for me. I do it for convenience, a "set it and forget it" type of attitude... and DW and I are the kind who are there for the ship first, and the destination second...mostly. Plus, with 3 full sea days on our upcoming Mex Riv cruise, it starts to make sense quick.

We like to spend lots of time in our suite, and trotting to the bar does, indeed, get a little old. We have a method for dealing with that which involves bringing our own beer bottle caps! :eek:

As far as taking others' cards and so forth, DW and I would regularly take each other's card to the bar and pick up drinks. Using another friend... probably would be okay... especially once the bartenders get to know you. Don't worry, with the UBP, they will absolutely get to know you! :D

If you'd like to do your own math, here's a spreadsheet someone (I always forget their name) put together... has prices and such...

http://mrose.org/cc/NCL_Drink_Spreadsheet.xlsx

Cheers!

They're not supposed to, but we tip the bartenders each time, and DH was able to get 2 drinks every time he asked (he'd bring them back to the cabin for us while I was getting ready for dinner).

While we would have spent less money if we didn't buy the UBP, we did come out ahead. We drank a lot more than usual - not getting drunk, but drinking at times we usually wouldn't (in the morning, at shows). Without the package, I would have brought wine onboard (paying corkage), and DH would have stuck with buckets of beer.

Sorry, yes... Sept 2013... time flies.

That time, though, the UBP was $49 rather than the $54/$59 it is now. I do some quick math, and we get close, but by no means is cost the only factor for me. I do it for convenience, a "set it and forget it" type of attitude... and DW and I are the kind who are there for the ship first, and the destination second...mostly. Plus, with 3 full sea days on our upcoming Mex Riv cruise, it starts to make sense quick.

We like to spend lots of time in our suite, and trotting to the bar does, indeed, get a little old. We have a method for dealing with that which involves bringing our own beer bottle caps! :eek:

As far as taking others' cards and so forth, DW and I would regularly take each other's card to the bar and pick up drinks. Using another friend... probably would be okay... especially once the bartenders get to know you. Don't worry, with the UBP, they will absolutely get to know you! :D

If you'd like to do your own math, here's a spreadsheet someone (I always forget their name) put together... has prices and such...

http://mrose.org/cc/NCL_Drink_Spreadsheet.xlsx

Cheers!

I have looked and looked for that spreadsheet! Thanks so much for posting the link again! And thanks to whomever created it, too!!

I'm more of a wine drinker than beer, so I'm hoping for some double pours. The only time you can get a generous pour is at the captain's parties. Maybe I'll have to carry a big purse, small funnel, and a large water bottle. That might work! LOL :D

Our good friends will also be getting the UBP, so the four of us will have to go introduce ourselves to the bartenders soon after boarding. This is going to be an awesome cruise!!!

Thanks again for help in figuring this out. Cheers to you, too!!

They're not supposed to, but we tip the bartenders each time, and DH was able to get 2 drinks every time he asked (he'd bring them back to the cabin for us while I was getting ready for dinner).

While we would have spent less money if we didn't buy the UBP, we did come out ahead. We drank a lot more than usual - not getting drunk, but drinking at times we usually wouldn't (in the morning, at shows). Without the package, I would have brought wine onboard (paying corkage), and DH would have stuck with buckets of beer.

Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

We were on the Breakaway (may 2014) in an Haven aft penthouse. I had the gotten the UBP with the special they ran then when you booked a suite.They included the UBP and UDP. Our butler brought me 2 beers a day when he also brought our afternoon snacks. never got charged for them under room service. It was under UBP.

We were on the Breakaway (may 2014) in an Haven aft penthouse. I had the gotten the UBP with the special they ran then when you booked a suite.They included the UBP and UDP. Our butler brought me 2 beers a day when he also brought our afternoon snacks. never got charged for them under room service. It was under UBP.

Yeah, it's definitely not correct to say the butlers will never bring alcohol under the UBP. Hell, it's not correct to say butlers will never do anything. As is typical in the hospitality industry, there are always exceptions to the rules.

Yeah, it's definitely not correct to say the butlers will never bring alcohol under the UBP. Hell, it's not correct to say butlers will never do anything. As is typical in the hospitality industry, there are always exceptions to the rules.

I don't know if I'd go THAT far. If there "are always exceptions to the rules", then what would be the point of even having rules?

It would basically become: Do this, and if you don't like that, we'll make an exception so you don't have to anyway.

I can just see them lined up at the kid's club insisting that their kids be allowed in the wrong age group....after all, it is the hospitality industry and there are always exceptions to the rules!!!

OK...now back to the real world. :rolleyes:

Ok, Mr. Pedantic...

Someone, somewhere, at any given moment, is very likely enjoying some exception to some rule in the hospitality industry.

The obvious point is that no one should count on an exception to any rule based on an individuals personal account on an internet forum of having enjoyed said exception.

Good lord, you're crabby lately.

Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

Debbie, it really depends on your butler. If your Butler takes your card and brings you the drink, it is not room service and falls under the rules. I had friends on the Breakaway whose Butler did this just a few weeks ago. A good Butler will make it happen. ;)

I hope in any event this works for you.

Happy sailing!

Cherie

Ok, Mr. Pedantic...

Someone, somewhere, at any given moment, is very likely enjoying some exception to some rule in the hospitality industry.

The obvious point is that no one should count on an exception to any rule based on an individuals personal account on an internet forum of having enjoyed said exception.

Sorry, name-calling? Is that where you're at right now? :rolleyes:

First, you have to understand sarcasm and not confuse it with fact...that way, you won't be so quick to try to argue against it.

Second, there is no need to make obvious points...they are self-evident by definition.

Lastly, if you truely belive in your point, then you should be advocating the rule and not talking about any alleged exception(s). Quotes like that have a way of coming back around...again and again.

FWIW, the judgmentality robes don't fit you too well.

Ok, Mr. Pedantic...

I was thinking the same exact thing as I was reading the post. Then your last sentence said exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. We plan to give the UBP a try for our next cruise and hope our butler will be willing to bring us a drink occasionally. I told my husband he could order his Scotch neat with his breakfast and just take it back to the cabin for happy hour on the balcony later.;) So we will figure it out as we go, I'm sure. It's a cruise with good food and good booze and even a butler! How can that be a problem, right? Life is great! Happy cruising everyone and cheers to you all!