what are the advantages of travelling concierge

Indiem

Do the benefits warrant the extra money, I very much doubt. As for a better position on the ship, that is debateable. I would suggest that your money would be better spent on something more tangible, but that is my opinion. People perceive the benefit differently but Celebrity tries to put an emphasis on CLASS and some people swallow it hook line and sinker.

Thank you for your reply. I am disappointed. I was looking forward to having a little plus for the extra money paid.

Oh well I shall hope for the best :)

We were disappointed in the "extras", however, it was our first Celebrity cruise and it was a great cruise. I would not book a CC class again unless it was only a few dollars more.

Celebrity's web site no longer states, "All benefits of Concierge Class plus ..." for Aqua Class. Not sure if all ships are following this yet?

Ray in NH

We are just off Reflection and were in an Aqua room. We had all the CC perks. Now that we don't need extra cruise points we go for the lowest priced veranda when we book, then monitor for price drops and request upgrades at the same or lower cost. We always seem to end up with a CC or Aqua room.

I noticed that many posters referred to better location as a reason to book CC. You really need to check out the deck plans on the X website before spending extra $$$ based on this criterion--many CC/AQ cabins are NOT in great locations, as Phil noted. I am wondering if some TA's are advising their clients incorrectly on this or if people just aren't doing their research prior to booking.

These ships are so huge that cabin location really can matter--it can be a long hike to get places if you don't choose correctly. While some say they appreciate the extra exercise, to me it is a huge PITA if it takes me 20 minutes to go back to my cabin to grab the sunscreen I forgot!

I never book a room in any class on any ship that doesn't have rooms above and below. In my ancient history I used to go for guaranteed cabins and got burned a few times with some of the worst rooms on the ship for noise. It was considered an upgrade though. So now I research the room and floor before I book making sure I don't have public rooms above or below me or the swimming pool!

For the Priority Dining, I think we received this benefit. We had six people, 3 rooms, all in class C2. Booked more for location on the resort deck hump more than anything else. This was a Thanksgiving cruise on, at the time the brand new, Eclipse.

When I got on board I called the Concierge down about our Murano reservation on Thanksgiving night. I wanted to make the dinner more special. He said he would try to set up something nice. When we went to the restaurant we were booked in the wine room (the very large table in private-ish room set off to the side) for us. It was perfect! I took that as "priority" for the specialty restaurant as Murano was extremely busy that night and we saw two other large groups (the table in the wine room can fit more than 6) in the regular part of Murano, but who knows if anyone could have been placed in the room by calling early in the cruise.

I noticed that many posters referred to better location as a reason to book CC. You really need to check out the deck plans on the X website before spending extra $$$ based on this criterion--many CC/AQ cabins are NOT in great locations, as Phil noted. I am wondering if some TA's are advising their clients incorrectly on this or if people just aren't doing their research prior to booking.

The problem with this is "great location" is subjective. What Phil thinks is "great" may not be someone else's definition of great. There are those that SWEAR the aft cabins are the perfect location. To me they are not and I have no desire to sail in one. I much prefer a mid ship cabin or forward. To many that is NOT a great location. I make sure there is at least one deck of cabins above me and below me so that public venues are less of an issue. How much more research should I do according to your theory to ensure that EVERYONE thinks my cabin location is great?

I book a cabin in the location that is "great" for my preferences and needs which has been a CC cabin. The added amenities were secondary to that preference.

I don't think it is always a question of bad advice or not doing research as much as personal preference or what cabins are left when booking the cruise.

IMHO on S class ships CC class is usually not worth much more than a $100 or so per cabin unless you are in desperate need of that extra point towards Elite status. On M class, I would put the dollar amount a bit higher for the extra space. For the money saved, you can buy flowers, a bottle of wine, a nice tote bag, a nice umbrella, some body wash and probably have a lot of $$ left over. The bathrobes are nicer for sure, and I love the footstools!! I personally prefer the thinner towels as I like to wrap my hair in them and the heavy towels make it tough to do so. As to pillows, if you prefer feather ask your room steward - we are always able to get them no matter what room (although occasionally we had to put a bit of pressure on). As to that priority stuff? Not sure. We are already Elite level so we get priority on those things anyway - I truthfully doubt they are of much value with the possible exception of tender tickets on tendering ports, if that is included. We are usually assigned crappy tables in the MDR no matter what category room we book (from SS to inside) so not sure there is a benefit there.

The problem with this is "great location" is subjective. What Phil thinks is "great" may not be someone else's definition of great. There are those that SWEAR the aft cabins are the perfect location. To me they are not and I have no desire to sail in one. I much prefer a mid ship cabin or forward. To many that is NOT a great location. I make sure there is at least one deck of cabins above me and below me so that public venues are less of an issue. How much more research should I do according to your theory to ensure that EVERYONE thinks my cabin location is great?

I book a cabin in the location that is "great" for my preferences and needs which has been a CC cabin. The added amenities were secondary to that preference.

I don't think it is always a question of bad advice or not doing research as much as personal preference or what cabins are left when booking the cruise.

You misunderstood my original post. Rather than the interpretation of "great" cabins and in response to the poster who said AQs and CCs are in better locations I was pointing out that this isn't necessarily true. Finding yourself in an AQ under the pool deck or treadmills in the gym or a CC cabin under the buffet with resulting noise are a couple of examples.

Phil

Archived